Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to determine if device was controlled by Alexa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to determine if device was controlled by Alexa?

I have a series of events that control our ceiling fans. Basically, if Virtual Auto Ceiling Fan is On then control ceiling fans based on temperature, etc. automatically.

I would like to determine if a ceiling fan, say Living Room Ceiling Fan is set to any value but Off then turn Virtual Auto Ceiling Fan to Off.

Any ideas?
    Michael

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.470 | 849 devices | 349 events | OpenSprinkler | BLShutdown | EasyTrigger | NetCAM | Harmony Hub | Sonos | SDJ-Health | BLUPS | PHLocation | BLBackup | BLLock | Z-Wave 3.0.1.243 | weatherXML | Pushover 3P | Blue-Iris | AirPlaySpeak

Rvtravlr not sure I fully understand it, but the way I am reading is that Alexa is able to adjust value of device without HomeSeer being aware. That might be as easy as adjusting the Z-Wave parameters on the node (if this is Z-Wave based) to report notifications back to controller, but the other solution is to create a virtual polling device. You would poll the device at a certain interval (this taxes network, hence a push from device would be a better solution) and then if value is different than what HomeSeer expects then you know external source changed it (Alexa in your case).

If I misunderstood, then please elaborate in more detail

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
      I have a series of events that control our ceiling fans. Basically, if Virtual Auto Ceiling Fan is On then control ceiling fans based on temperature, etc. automatically.

I would like to determine if a ceiling fan, say Living Room Ceiling Fan is set to any value but Off then turn Virtual Auto Ceiling Fan to Off.

Any ideas?
      There's nothing exposed in the standard app to be able to trigger based on source of change - you'd need something to scrape the HS log and parse it to get the change, and even then you're at the mercy of the PI actually logging. For example, the Jowihue PI doesn't really log updates to devices like the zwave one does, so you'd not really be able to trigger well anyway.

If the device reports back to HS that it's set to a value other than just on or off, you could trigger like "if device is set and is in range 1-99 (or 1-253 depending on what value is ON), then do something else"

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post

Any ideas?
        Perhaps you could add an intermediate virtual device that is set by Alexa and if the value of that VD changes then an event changes then the actual fan device is adjusted to match. Add a condition to your "automatic" logic to not run if that intermediate device has been changed. The intermediate device would need to be reset in some way by the automatic logic or other trigger to zero or some other value that allows the auto to take over as needed.

Would only work for adjustments through Alexa, not local control.
        -Wade

Comment

I use virtual devices as well with some of our lights and shades to determine what controlled them. Events will set the virtual device, indicating that it was controlled by an Event and you could have Alexa set something like that. If the light or shade changes without the virtual device having certain values, then it must have been controlled locally.
          HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

All great ideas. Thanks
            Michael

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.470 | 849 devices | 349 events | OpenSprinkler | BLShutdown | EasyTrigger | NetCAM | Harmony Hub | Sonos | SDJ-Health | BLUPS | PHLocation | BLBackup | BLLock | Z-Wave 3.0.1.243 | weatherXML | Pushover 3P | Blue-Iris | AirPlaySpeak

Comment

Working...
            X