Echo Device Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Echo Device Type

All of my HS3 lighting devices show up in Echo as type "Other". Is there a way to get them to show up as "Light", "Plug", and/or "Switch"? "Shades" or "Blinds" would also be nice. I see in the Echo device settings the device type, but am not able to edit it.

Where are you viewing your devices? My Alexa Smart Home Devices look like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Alexa.PNG
Views:	421
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1358492
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Club Chapin View Post
      All of my HS3 lighting devices show up in Echo as type "Other". Is there a way to get them to show up as "Light", "Plug", and/or "Switch"? "Shades" or "Blinds" would also be nice. I see in the Echo device settings the device type, but am not able to edit it.
      You have to set each device as a light in each device details screen. Once they are set, Amazon will scan and see the changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
      Plugin's:
      BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
      EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
      weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

I'm using the iOS interface. The icons with the "wifi envelope" are the icons for "other" device type.

I am unable to change the type on Homeseer devices, but can change the type of (some) other types.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-02-02 21.52.59.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1358550Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-02-02 21.53.17.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1358551Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-02-02 21.54.02.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1358552Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-02-02 21.58.56.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1358553

Attached Files

Comment

You can’t change the device type in the Amazon app, you need to change the device type in the device details for each device in the Homeseer device details page. If you look on the below screen shot you will see where you can put a check mark in a box next to “Is Light”. After you do that, the Amazon Homeseer skill will scan the devices and pick up the device changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Plugin's:

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
            You can’t change the device type in the Amazon app, you need to change the device type in the device details for each device in the Homeseer device details page. If you look on the below screen shot you will see where you can put a check mark in a box next to “Is Light”. After you do that, the Amazon Homeseer skill will scan the devices and pick up the device changes.
            Excellent, thank you. It would be nice to have more options the just light, but this is a really good start. Most of my devices are lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Club Chapin View Post

Excellent, thank you. It would be nice to have more options the just light, but this is a really good start. Most of my devices are lights.
              Yeah, I agree. Having more device types would make it easier to find specific devices in the Amazon app. I think if you don’t have IsLight check marked it labels it as a switch. It’s all a relatively new integration so hopefully they will add more as it develops.

Plugin's:

Comment

What are you guys talking about? I see at least 5 different device types in my Alexa app (for Android). Switch, light, lock, thermostat...and I hardly had to touch them, except I think relay units are read as switches, so I had to change some of them to "light" so they would respond to whole room lighting commands. Is it because all mine are insteon?

Jim Speiser
                38-year veteran of Home Automation
                Still don't know squat

Comment

is there any way for alexa to have the "FAN" as a fan and not light? I know Alexa has the device type and icon for fans and really want my "switches that are fans" set as fans so I can get context aware commands in each room.

Comment

Also wondering if I can set the device to something other than lights. I have several electrical blinds, and they are all registered as lights. I would really like to set this to something else, like "Blinds", "Other" or "Switch".
                    The problem is when i'm saying "Alexa, turn of all of the lights" all my blinds are going down..........

Has anyone found a solution to setting device type to something else than lights?

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
                      What are you guys talking about? I see at least 5 different device types in my Alexa app (for Android). Switch, light, lock, thermostat...and I hardly had to touch them, except I think relay units are read as switches, so I had to change some of them to "light" so they would respond to whole room lighting commands. Is it because all mine are insteon?
                      Hey Jim, sorry I never responded, some reason I must not have seen the notification.
                      Most of our devices had the correct device types when added as well, but some of the devices, like relays in Homeseer, you have to make sure the device in HS is defined as a light or Alexa won’t know what it controls. If HS has the device defined it passes that info to Alexa or in some cases there are devices that work with Alexa and have a skill that sets the correct device type. For example, I have Sonos speakers in Homeseer but Alexa discovered them on the network scan (not through HS) and set the correct device type.

As far as I know, there isn’t a way to change/set a device in the Alexa app to something else other than the switches/lights that I mentioned above in HS.

Plugin's:

Comment

Originally posted by Jarle_E View Post
                        Also wondering if I can set the device to something other than lights. I have several electrical blinds, and they are all registered as lights. I would really like to set this to something else, like "Blinds", "Other" or "Switch".
                        The problem is when i'm saying "Alexa, turn of all of the lights" all my blinds are going down..........

Has anyone found a solution to setting device type to something else than lights?
                        If the blinds have the “is light” checked in your Homeseer device details screen then that may be why Alexa is treating it as a light. How are your blinds controlled? Is there an Alexa skill for them?

Plugin's:

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post

If the blinds have the “is light” checked in your Homeseer device details screen then that may be why Alexa is treating it as a light. How are your blinds controlled? Is there an Alexa skill for them?

Every blind has an Fibaro Roller shutter 3 switch - and the "Is light"-box in not checked in HomeSeer. There isnt an Alexa skill for this, its a normal z-wave device.

I also added a virtual device to Alexa, and this one appears in Alexa as a Switch. But I dont know what seperates lights from switches when you import them to Alexa..

Comment

Originally posted by Jarle_E View Post

Every blind has an Fibaro Roller shutter 3 switch - and the "Is light"-box in not checked in HomeSeer. There isnt an Alexa skill for this, its a normal z-wave device.

I also added a virtual device to Alexa, and this one appears in Alexa as a Switch. But I dont know what seperates lights from switches when you import them to Alexa..
                            Interesting that even though your “Is Light” box is unchecked that Alexa is still seeing it as a light. It must be defined as a light somehow in the device type in HS.
                            The only suggestion that I have would be to set up a virtual device for each blind and uncheck the “Is Light” box, then setup an event in homeseer to control the blind. You might also talk with [mention]sparkman [/mention]he has some great events with blinds and may have a way to integrate with Alexa.

Plugin's:

Comment

Thanks The Profit, indeed there was something that defined it as a light! Under Status/Graphics the control for 1-98 % was defined as "Dim". I changed it to DimFan, readded to Alexa and voilà! It came in as a switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X