Take Two - TRANSFERRING SCENES TO ALEXA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take Two - TRANSFERRING SCENES TO ALEXA

Having received no response to my first try at this, I am hoping my all-caps in the header may attract some attention. If not...oh, well, life goes on. Just remember....Coronavirus is going to increase the traffic on these forums, cuz as long as we're all stuck at home, might as well make home more comfortable!

I would like to be able to say, "Alexa, turn on Movie Time", which is a scene in my living room where all the lights fade out slowly, like in a theatre. The scene is set up, tied to a mini-remote, and works that way without fail. But how do I get Alexa to recogize it as a device she can control?

Addendum: In my Alexa app device list are a FEW of my scenes. I did nothing special, they just appeared there. I think it has to do with the "Voice Control" checkbox in the device definition, but I have checked that in ALL the scenes I want her to recognize, and only a few show up.

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

Jim my scenes are set up as a flag or button and they work very well..... but the other scenes I sometimes use come in from the Harmony app. like turn on or off the TV.

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
      Having received no response to my first try at this, I am hoping my all-caps in the header may attract some attention. If not...oh, well, life goes on. Just remember....Coronavirus is going to increase the traffic on these forums, cuz as long as we're all stuck at home, might as well make home more comfortable!

I would like to be able to say, "Alexa, turn on Movie Time", which is a scene in my living room where all the lights fade out slowly, like in a theatre. The scene is set up, tied to a mini-remote, and works that way without fail. But how do I get Alexa to recogize it as a device she can control?

Addendum: In my Alexa app device list are a FEW of my scenes. I did nothing special, they just appeared there. I think it has to do with the "Voice Control" checkbox in the device definition, but I have checked that in ALL the scenes I want her to recognize, and only a few show up.

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?
      To control a device:
      1) Put a check mark next to “Voice Control”
      2) Type in the Voice Control field right under your device name, the name you want to use.
      3) in Amazon app make sure to “discover devices”
      Then say “Alexa, turn on “Device name in Voice Control box”

For events:
      1) Type in the Voice Control field ”Movie Time” in the event under the event name.
      2) In the same event, make sure to click on options for the event and put a check mark next to “Include as Voice Command”
      3) In Amazon app, run another discovery.
      Then say Alexa, turn on movie time.
      If your events have been discovered they will be listed in the scenes area on the Amazon app. Look in devices and then a button at the top for scenes.

For events, make sure you have both Homeseer skills added in your Amazon app or the events won’t be discovered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
      Plugin's:
      BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
      EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
      weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

The Profit has covered it very thoroughly. One thing I've found to be different, though, is that Events are discovered for me with only the Homeseer Smarthome skill installed rather than needing both skills.
        -Wade

Comment

Roger that. Will attempt this evening and report back.

Jim Speiser
          38-year veteran of Home Automation
          Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
            The Profit has covered it very thoroughly. One thing I've found to be different, though, is that Events are discovered for me with only the Homeseer Smarthome skill installed rather than needing both skills.
            You are correct. I guess I only mentioned getting both because the OP was asking about controlling both devices as well as events with Alexa, in that case they would need both. Sorry for any confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
            Plugin's:
            BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
            EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
            weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post

You are correct. I guess I only mentioned getting both because the OP was asking about controlling both devices as well as events with Alexa, in that case they would need both. Sorry for any confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I'm not following what you mean. I control events as well as devices with the Homeseer Smarthome skill. It doesn't have all the functionality of the other skill, but it doesn't require me to say "tell homeseer to" as part of each command.
              -Wade

Comment

Working...
              X