Running event from alexa routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running event from alexa routine

Anyone know a way to run a homeseer event through an alexa routine? I know I can always tell alexa to "tell homeseer to run event XYZ" but I would much rather just have to say alexa "wakeup" or "goodnight" or "start movie time" rather than say the whole thing every time. Not all actions in my events can be controlled directly from alexa so rebuilding the events as routines inst really an option.

I do this with virtual devices.
    Ignore the below stated XYZ and insert your own names.
    1. Create a device called XYZ - make sure to click the voice control box in the device properties.
    2. Add an OR trigger or Change your current event to trigger on device XYZ having it's status changing or value set to "on" (as an example your "start movie time" event) in the event. Also, make sure you turn device XYZ off after a delay of 5 seconds or so your event so it's ready next time.
    3. Go to the Alexa App, create a routine that triggers with voice, "Alexa, start movie time" with the routine's action being to turn on device XYZ.
    4. Speak, "Alexa, start movie time" and Alexa will turn device XYZ on which will trigger the even you created

I have multiple events using this method and they work well. Someone might chime in with a script or a complicated plugin but this works well for me.
    Dan-O
    HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

I use the same method as Dan-O, but there is also a simpler way that should work. In the event advanced settings, select Use Voice Control. The event should be discovered as an Alexa scene that can then be selected as an action in a routine.
      -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
        I use the same method as Dan-O, but there is also a simpler way that should work. In the event advanced settings, select Use Voice Control. The event should be discovered as an Alexa scene that can then be selected as an action in a routine.
        Yes, this method is the best to use, in addition to selecting voice control, also make sure to type what you want the command to trigger the event to be in the voice command text box below the event name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
        Plugin's:
        BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
        EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
        weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

If you have not, you should investigate this: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...r-3-homeseer-4
          tenholde

Comment

I've been using routines to fire events via HA-Bridge as I want as much as possible offline/local.
            I find though that routines often don't fire, very randomly. I can't say why but I would suggest it's down to Alexa requiring some extra processing via the internet to fire the routine or something like that. Luckily I've just read that soon we will have the ability to create local skills that will work offline, thank god.

Comment

I have had much success having the Alexa routine notify one of my Android tablets running Tasker. Tasker then notifies HS. Not sure if this solution is any better than some of the others, but on the other hand, I already have an Android Tablet and I know how to use Tasker.

Comment

Working...
              X