Duplicate VR Device... One works, one doesn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate VR Device... One works, one doesn't

I have a device set up in HS/SmartHome Skill which I use to ask Alexa to Open or Close my Living Room drapes with the voice command "Open the Drapes" or "Close the Drapes". This works 100% fine.
    In fact every other VR device I've set up so far works fine... "Turn this or that on or off", "Dim this or that to...", etc.

Now, and I've been struggling with this for some time...
    I want to set up a similar device in Alexa to Open/Close my garage door.
    I've gone so far as to simply copy the Drapes device and renaming the copy to Garage Door (identical parameters). Alexa recognizes the device, but when I ask her to "Open the Garage Door" or "Close the Garage Door" she responds with "Garage Door doesn't support that".
    At my wits end.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Any ideas?

Comment

Is there anything else with the (partial) name garage door? I had that issue with lights before.

Comment

The two devices in turn are "The Drapes" and "The Garage Door", with Voice Commands "Drapes" and "Garage Door". I've tried "Garage" as well for both name and VC. I've also tried "Elephant", "Parachute", "Carpet", "Popsicle", etc. with the same result.

Comment

This is insane.
          The word "Blind" works. "Carport" does not. "Sesame" does not". (Tried in case there's some confusion with other devices or locations not connected to Alexa). Is it the multi-syllabic words? If so, why do words like "Exhaust Fan" work elsewhere? Or is it simply a fluke that one particular word happened to work?
          What word could I possibly use that I'd remember, and means "Garage Door"?
          Is the fault with Homeseer, the Skill or Alexa herself?

Comment

//
            Dan-O
            HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Nope. Maybe "Pretty Please"

Comment

I'm confused by your response.
                Just trying to help.
                Dan-O

Comment

Yet another workaround, but I find myself saying [whatever] and looking in the log to see what Alexa heard. That is what I use as a command, so I have some non-words and poor spelling involved in getting stuff to actually work. Sometimes, even that isn't enough and I have to pick a different word or phrase and start over.
                  HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                  Home Assistant 2024.3
                  Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                  Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                  Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                  WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                  AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-O View Post
                    I'm confused by your response.
                    Just trying to help.
                    Adding "Please" didn't help; nice try though.
                    It was sarcasm. Sorry if it offended you.

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
                      Yet another workaround, but I find myself saying [whatever] and looking in the log to see what Alexa heard. That is what I use as a command, so I have some non-words and poor spelling involved in getting stuff to actually work. Sometimes, even that isn't enough and I have to pick a different word or phrase and start over.
                      I've checked. Alexa hears properly, and recognizes that the device does exist. She believes however that the device doesn't support "Open" or "Close". If I name the device "Blind" or "Drapes", she's fine with it. She just doesn't like "Door" or any other sensible word I've tried. It just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post

I've checked. Alexa hears properly, and recognizes that the device does exist. She believes however that the device doesn't support "Open" or "Close". If I name the device "Blind" or "Drapes", she's fine with it. It just doesn't make sense.
                        I'm guessing for security reasons.
                        To unlock a deadbolt using Alexa directly, you have to issue a code. That makes me think that the garage door has limits due to similar reasons.

Wasn't offended, just was confused by your response. We're all here with similar interests and issues to work together - I speak fluent sarcasm, it's actually my first language - English being my second.
                        You have to add Please to the phrase but also use the virtual devices.

I know I don't have 11,000 posts, but believe it or not, I've been using HS for over 20 years, if there's a work-around I'm using it or helped work out the bugs so it works as intended.
                        Just trying to help you overcome the limits set in place so you can have HS work as you would desire.
                        I have a finely tuned HS system, using many 'work-arounds" that I'm constantly fiddling with to add features and new HA tricks. I just recently started automating my Christmas lights to a new level more than just on as dusk and off at bedtime.
                        Dan-O

Comment

Dan-o.
                          I am actually working with a Virtual Device, as I am with the Drapes (identical situation which works).
                          A change in the status of the VD will trigger an event. If the "Close" command is issued, an event condition checks to see if the real Door status is "Open" in order to keep real world things synchronized with Homeseer.
                          The actual control of the door is accomplished with a modified Appliance module (dry contact) wired to a spare Garage Door Opener remote. I use this too successfully in HS to for instance ensure the door is closed when I'm away or asleep in case I've forgotten to close it.
                          Recently I bought an Echo Mobile for the car. Thought it might be cool to ask Alexa to open the door before I arrive in the yard and am in range of the GDO remote, or if I've left and think the door might be left open. Not so easy It seems.

I do certainly appreciate your suggestions, as anyone's. I'm hoping the hive mind might solve this nonsensical problem. No suggestion rejected.

Comment

This has me baffled. I do the exact thing you're describing. We're missing something here for sure.
                            Dan-O

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post

I've checked. Alexa hears properly, and recognizes that the device does exist. She believes however that the device doesn't support "Open" or "Close". ...
                              Hmmmm.... maybe the source of the problem is where Alexa obtains the intelligence on "Open" or "Close".

I lean heavily on Jon00's PI, are both of y'all using the same PI?
                              Dan-O
                              HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                              Home Assistant 2024.3
                              Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                              Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                              Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                              WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                              AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Working...
                              X