Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update Broke Alexa - Helpdesk how do we fix it please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update Broke Alexa - Helpdesk how do we fix it please?

There was another thread about this yesterday and tickets opened.

With the latest version when you run discovery now Alexa is finding the "root" NOT the feature. This breaks voice control.

Are we supposed to reconfigure EVERYTHING that needs voice control? If so, please document and post the specifics.

Will the next update change this back to the way it's always was? Any idea of timing, if so? I probably should know, but if a patch is coming can I downgrade and fix this, if so how and where do I download an older version.

Thanks!

From the helpdesk...

Yes, there was a change in how Alexa discovers devices. You will now want to enable voice control for the root features of your devices now rather than on the individual features. This should allow Alexa to discover your devices. My apologies for the inconvenience, I know that changes are being made to improve multi-feature device control as well, though I do not have a time frame for that fix being available.

Yes, the engineers are working on combining the methods so that you can either enable voice control on the root feature or on the specific features you want to control. As requested, I will close this ticket but feel free to open a new one should you run into any other questions or issues!

Comment

So does that mean Alexa will discover all the child devices when the root device's enable voice is checked? Have you tried this yet?

I'm afraid to try myself because I have had to delete all of the devices from the Alexa app 3 times in 2 years after it stopped discovering new devices.

Comment

DON'T DO ANYTHING!

I did as the Helpdesk told me. Nothing got discovered. I disabled and reenabled the skill and still Alexa see nothing related to HS4, but sees any other smart device on my network.

Comment

Perversely, I was trying to fix HS4's frequent failures with Google Assistant yesterday, and in so doing, I ended up with a bunch of duplicate devices on Alexa. After deleting all my devices off of Alexa and starting over, now I have this issue, too.

Moving voice control from the dimmer (device) to the root doesn't fix the problem for me. This is a big mess. AFAIAK, the one game-changer that makes home automation wonderful is voice control. Once you get used to that, having to use a computer/tablet/phone keypad to control things seems prehistoric.

Comment

I have no idea what changed. I disabled and linked the skill. It failed. I've done that several times. I did the same again. It found my devices. Those with voice on the feature show up as the full name...location etc. Those I had moved to the root show up correctly.

No idea why...but VERY much happier. Thanks for your time!

Comment

Well, something changed, but I can't say it's fixed. I again disabled and re-enabled the Homeseer skill in Alexa, and then ran device discovery. It came back with two contradictory statements: 1) Alexa found 25 devices, and 2) No devices were found. The devices show up on the device list, but they show "Server is unresponsive". nonetheless, they work.

This behavior seems similar to the Google Assistant mess: sometimes GA can control a device, and other times, it can't. Sometimes it reports that Homeseer is unavailable. It's as if the communications are one-way, out to the device, but HS is not acknowledging or reporting back with status.

Comment

Thankfully I am not impacted. But its great that people post here and make people aware, but there certainly is an important part missing. That is official acknowledgement and guidance from HomeSeer Technologies.

Is it a problem? if so to what extent, and what do we do or not do? Alexa integration is wonky at best already, then to hame something like this is not fun.
                HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
                  Thankfully I am not impacted. But its great that people post here and make people aware, but there certainly is an important part missing. That is official acknowledgement and guidance from HomeSeer Technologies.

Is it a problem? if so to what extent, and what do we do or not do? Alexa integration is wonky at best already, then to hame something like this is not fun.
                  I agree, there should at the very least be a sticky post describing the problem and what to do, or not do, until it's fixed. I spent TWO days trying to figure out what was going on.

Comment

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...vice-discovery
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have had the same problem. For now I have solved the problem. I filled the voice command in the root device and activated the voicecommand. After new discovery in Alexa the device is ready and working.

Comment

Enabling the Voice Command for the root device works for devices that have single controls but I have several Z-Wave devices that have multiple switches such as power strips and dual relay light switch modules. None of these devices work by enabling the root device.

Comment

Originally posted by howeldh View Post
                          Enabling the Voice Command for the root device works for devices that have single controls but I have several Z-Wave devices that have multiple switches such as power strips and dual relay light switch modules. None of these devices work by enabling the root device.
                          Did you put in a support ticket on this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by howeldh View Post
                            This will be addressed when we roll out the changes. The fix has already been made and we are in the testing phase now. I don't have an ETA for the release but we're working to get it out ASAP.

Comment

I had only a few and made in Homeseer a virtueel device with I connnected to an event that controlled the child device. That worked for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X