Changes to Alexa and Google Home Device Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to Alexa and Google Home Device Discovery

Recently, we rolled out some changes to our smart speaker integrations that were designed to simplify discovery of HomeSeer devices via Alexa and Google Home. Our internal testing indicated that these changes could be implemented without affecting existing systems in a significant way. Unfortunately, that turned out to be wrong for some users. We have since made some adjustments to the discovery code and are currently testing it. Once the testing is complete, we will implement it and post more detail about the changes.

In the meantime, we apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your continued patience. We will roll out the changes as soon as possible.
    ๐Ÿ’โ€โ™‚๏ธ Support & Customer Service ๐Ÿ™‹โ€โ™‚๏ธ Sales Questions ๐Ÿ›’ Shop HomeSeer Productsโ€‹

Mark,

Thanks for the update.

Can you please provide insights to who or what type of systems or interactions are impacted? Are HomeSeer 3 users impacted or only HomeSeer 4 users, or does it not matter?

Since HomeSeer Technologies has not backed out the failed change, what can we do or not do to prevent being impacted by this?

Please keep in mind that Alexa integration is very important to our household. Without it, my familyโ€™s perspective is that I might as well shut down HomeSeer and scrap years of research and development as they really donโ€™t care what the root issue is, all they are is that speaking to Alexa is how they interact with the house. This is just as mission critical as HomeSeer itself.

I think that the community here welcomes further development by HST in terms of the Alexa/Google platforms, but it might be helpful to have more clarity when changes go in and you might want people in our community here at the ready to test.

We do appreciate the work being done! Just let us know so we can help regression test....

Thank you.
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Krumpy Prior to the next implementation, we will email (to newsletter subscribers) and post the changes that will affect the respective implementations. In the meantime, no need to do anything if your system is running fine now.
      ๐Ÿ’โ€โ™‚๏ธ Support & Customer Service ๐Ÿ™‹โ€โ™‚๏ธ Sales Questions ๐Ÿ›’ Shop HomeSeer Productsโ€‹

Comment

Thank you for this info macromark a simple notification when changes are being made and if HS support is aware of large scale issues would go a very long way.

When people don't understand what the issue is, they may tend to start ripping things apart thinking they personally broke something, which causes even more frustration. I removed all HS4 devices/events checkboxes with voice control, readded them with voice label, synched my HS3 license, then back to HS4 etc just to see if it did anything. It did not

as Krumpy mentioned (for Alexa) my Google Home setup is crucial to my family using smart devices. Most automations they would use are done through Google home. And with the simplicity of the Google Home App UI design, they would use the google app when they aren't using their voice. I know this isn't the most reliable way since it depends on internet etc, but it is the best setup for those that are not tech savy, and avoids having buttons for everything everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
          Recently, we rolled out some changes to our smart speaker integrations that were designed to simplify discovery of HomeSeer devices via Alexa and Google Home. Our internal testing indicated that these changes could be implemented without affecting existing systems in a significant way. Unfortunately, that turned out to be wrong for some users. We have since made some adjustments to the discovery code and are currently testing it. Once the testing is complete, we will implement it and post more detail about the changes.

In the meantime, we apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your continued patience. We will roll out the changes as soon as possible.
          Any ETA, days, weeks?

Comment

macromark can you tell me if the Alexa issues I started having recently are related (described in the link below)?

Recently, every time I ask Alexa to change the brightness of a Hue bulb, it is changing the color of the bulb to red, but not affecting the brightness at all. I was not having this issue before a couple of weeks ago. It is the same behavior on all 150+ of my color-capable hue bulbs. Very frustrating and we're not sure if the problem is with the HS Alexa Plugin, Homeseer, or the Jowihue plugin.

Brightness Commands Not Working with Alexa - HomeSeer Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

Any ETA, days, weeks?
              should be within a week... that's what we are shooting for.

Originally posted by b0sst0n View Post
              macromark can you tell me if the Alexa issues I started having recently are related (described in the link below)?

Recently, every time I ask Alexa to change the brightness of a Hue bulb, it is changing the color of the bulb to red, but not affecting the brightness at all. I was not having this issue before a couple of weeks ago. It is the same behavior on all 150+ of my color-capable hue bulbs. Very frustrating and we're not sure if the problem is with the HS Alexa Plugin, Homeseer, or the Jowihue plugin.

Brightness Commands Not Working with Alexa - HomeSeer Message Board
              Our changes affect the discovery process, so this doesn't appear to be part of that. Post a note to the JowiHUE forum to see if Wim might be able to help.

Comment

Any ETA, days, weeks?
                FYI all - I received an answer to my support ticket. HS is aiming to have this resolved sometime this week. (3/23-3/28)

Comment

Would this have anything to do with the fact that when I try to do a discovery, instead of being directed to the HomeSeer skill, I am now directed to the (new to me) Insteon skill? Is this Insteon skill covered in another thread somewhere?

Jim Speiser
                  38-year veteran of Home Automation
                  Still don't know squat

Comment

FYI all - I received an answer to my support ticket. HS is aiming to have this resolved sometime this week. (3/23-3/28)
                    Testing now, seems to be OK so far. ๐Ÿคž

Comment

Well Iโ€™m glad itโ€™s working for someone because it sure as hell isnโ€™t working for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigstevep View Post
                        Well Iโ€™m glad itโ€™s working for someone because it sure as hell isnโ€™t working for me!
                        I followed steps sent to me as a result of a support ticket. I don't know yet if they were wanting me to test the fix or if it had been fully deployed yet. Are you subscribed to the topic where support explained the problem?

Comment

So.... it looks like I can see events now!!! BUT when I go to add the 40th event or device to a room, google home crashes back to the "home control" screen. So I am stuck with a max of 39 events/devices that my family can use. I can see all of them though, just can't add more than 39 in 'add to room' part

to anyone that has a ticket open that support is actively looking at, you may want to mention this. Looks like a bug to me

Devices are still root devices. Not sure if this if the future plan to continue this way. I am just glad for now I can get some main events working again

Comment

Originally posted by dev120v View Post
                            So.... it looks like I can see events now!!! BUT when I go to add the 40th event or device to a room, google home crashes back to the "home control" screen. So I am stuck with a max of 39 events/devices that my family can use. I can see all of them though, just can't add more than 39 in 'add to room' part

to anyone that has a ticket open that support is actively looking at, you may want to mention this. Looks like a bug to me

Devices are still root devices. Not sure if this if the future plan to continue this way. I am just glad for now I can get some main events working again
                            I have the child devices working fine now in Alexa. I unlinked the skill, relinked it, deleted the devices, and re-discovered them.

Comment

And here I thought Google screwed up my system.
                              I can't even control my thermostat or my tv now. Thanks HST.
                              You want to make sure to test things better before screwing things up?

Comment

Working...
                              X