Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alexa voice command with Virtual Device????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa voice command with Virtual Device????

When using a voice command with Alexa to control a virtual device can I use "open" or "close" to change the status of that virtual device?

Originally posted by stinggray View Post
    When using a voice command with Alexa to control a virtual device can I use "open" or "close" to change the status of that virtual device?
    Ditto. Also, how do I use Alexa to set it to a value? I have been able to set it to on/off with Alexa but not to a value. i.e. "Alexa, set spa temp (which is a virtual device) to 99"

Comment

Look at the Alexa Helper script by jon00
      it will do everything both of you are asking.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerL View Post
        Look at the Alexa Helper script by jon00
        it will do everything both of you are asking.
        The script looks good, and I can probably use it for other things. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth though, is there any way to set a virtual device's value natively, without the script? i.e. "Alexa, set spa temp (which is a virtual device) to 99". As I said, I can set the virtual on/off but haven't figured a way to set it to a specific value.
        Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

The script looks good, and I can probably use it for other things. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth though, is there any way to set a virtual device's value natively, without the script? i.e. "Alexa, set spa temp (which is a virtual device) to 99". As I said, I can set the virtual on/off but haven't figured a way to set it to a specific value.
          Thanks!
          I use the script for things Alexa gas an issue with wording, and also to give more flexibility in wording... Even if I do have to do the "tell HomeSeer"

As for natively in Alexa... Your spa example the only way it might work would is to set the virtual device to be a light and dimmable in HS, then alexa would let you say "alexa set the spa to nn%", just not sure if it'd work past 100 if you wanted hotter.... And you'd omit the word temp.
          I've not tried it but it's theory. But you lose any sense of natural speech and basically becomes secret code. Which is fine if you don't want anyone else using it. LoL

Comment

Working...
          X