Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS-FC200+ Fan Controller no speed control on Alexa - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS-FC200+ Fan Controller no speed control on Alexa - Solved!

I have a HomeSeer HS-FC200+ Fan Controller that was working fine with Alexa. For some reason now the controller does not respond properly to the speed settings between 1 and 99. Alexa can turn the fan on and off but does not properly set the speeds. For example, if I ask Alexa for 1% to 100% then Homeseer sets the fan for 1%. HS4 device page and HST can control the speeds fine. Alexa does properly dim lights. Just not the fan. I haven't used the fan through the winter so I don't know when this stopped working. Anyone else having this problem or have any ideas? Thanks!

Originally posted by Archcantor View Post
    I have a HomeSeer HS-FC200+ Fan Controller that was working fine with Alexa. For some reason now the controller does not respond properly to the speed settings between 1 and 99. Alexa can turn the fan on and off but does not properly set the speeds. For example, if I ask Alexa for 1% to 100% then Homeseer sets the fan for 1%. HS4 device page and HST can control the speeds fine. Alexa does properly dim lights. Just not the fan. I haven't used the fan through the winter so I don't know when this stopped working. Anyone else having this problem or have any ideas? Thanks!
    Ditto here. My FC200 is set for four speeds. It responds to Alexa set xyz to Low, but not Medium, or High. Numerical values don't always work right. Since it's a four speed control is that just for the manual switch and less, or is it for the internal speeds as well? If so, how do we tell Alexa to control it?

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

Ditto here. My FC200 is set for four speeds. It responds to Alexa set xyz to Low, but not Medium, or High. Numerical values don't always work right. Since it's a four speed control is that just for the manual switch and less, or is it for the internal speeds as well? If so, how do we tell Alexa to control it?
      I also have it set for 4 speeds. I thought it was working fine last summer through Alexa. So many things changed since then between HS4 updates and Z-Wave updates.

There are only 4 speeds. It's not continuously variable between 1 and 99. HS4 can set them but Alexa can only do On, Off and speed 1.

I'll enter a bug report.

Comment

Originally posted by Archcantor View Post

I also have it set for 4 speeds. I thought it was working fine last summer through Alexa. So many things changed since then between HS4 updates and Z-Wave updates.

There are only 4 speeds. It's not continuously variable between 1 and 99. HS4 can set them but Alexa can only do On, Off and speed 1.

I'll enter a bug report.
        We can create an event for each of the four speeds. But that's kind of messy. Especially if there are multiple fan devices installed.

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

We can create an event for each of the four speeds. But that's kind of messy. Especially if there are multiple fan devices installed.
          Agreed. I'm pretty sure it was working last summer. If you asked Alexa for a speed such as 55% you would get the speed closest to one of the 4 speeds available such as speed 3.

Comment

Does the Alexa app show the HomeSeer device as a light, or a switch? It would need to be a light to support multiple levels.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
              Does the Alexa app show the HomeSeer device as a light, or a switch? It would need to be a light to support multiple levels.
              It shows up as a switch. I changed Alexa to move it to a light. Same behavior. I tried changing the HS4 Device setting "Is light" and still no change.

The Alexa app says "Device is unresponsive" but it still responds only to on, off and low speed.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

You may have to remove it from Alexa and rediscover for the "Is Light" setting in HomeSeer to take effect.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                  You may have to remove it from Alexa and rediscover for the "Is Light" setting in HomeSeer to take effect.
                  I thought I tried that yesterday. I did it again today. No change. Interestingly, on the Alexa app, Alexa thinks it's controlling the "dimming" with the slide bar. Everything seems to look good but the device only does low speed or on/off. Thanks!

Comment

I’ve had this issue since installing the FC200 over a year ago. The GE fan control switch operated correctly

Comment

Matt from HS contacted me about my open ticket on this. He suggested some things that caused me to do more testing.

First, I originally had only three Status Controls defined on the Device page for the fan: Off, On and values 1 to 98 set to Control Use Dim. This was originally only providing Off, On and the low speed.

Matt recommending changing the "Control Use" field to OnAlternate. As usual, one can go down a spiral with too many variables and nothing changes. However, when I finally decided to delete the device from Alexa and re-Discover, progress was made.

I am thinking I never performed a faithful delete/re-discover during my original testing.

The attached image is what I currently have for the Fan Fan Speed child device that now works great. Alexa can set all the speeds. Notice I am using Control Use Dim. In the Device Page, "Is Light" is not checked.

I am also thinking I may have done some initial testing using the legacy HS3 device page. Old habits are hard to break.

So I am not really positive on what exactly fixed this but I suspect I did not delete and re-discover the device in Alexa after changing parameters in HS.
                      Attached Files

Comment

It's a bug with an update to either Alexa or FC200 switch. I have a ticket open on this issue and looking to find a workaround. What is interesting is that all of the HS light switches I have do not have the same problem as the FC200 fan switches.

Has anyone figured this out? Getting Alexa to understand setting the fan to medium by using the word not percentage? If I can get this to work, I think I can work around it. What I was able to do is create Low and High buttons that map to specific percentages. I did the events, but this is messy and if you want to still use Set vs Run (Device vs Event) you need to use a virtual device to execute the scenes as you set the virtual switch. Over complicating things that should just work OOB.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmurph213 View Post
                          It's a bug with an update to either Alexa or FC200 switch. I have a ticket open on this issue and looking to find a workaround. What is interesting is that all of the HS light switches I have do not have the same problem as the FC200 fan switches.

Has anyone figured this out? Getting Alexa to understand setting the fan to medium by using the word not percentage? If I can get this to work, I think I can work around it. What I was able to do is create Low and High buttons that map to specific percentages. I did the events, but this is messy and if you want to still use Set vs Run (Device vs Event) you need to use a virtual device to execute the scenes as you set the virtual switch. Over complicating things that should just work OOB.
                          Agreed, it's HS branded hardware. They should build the device features properly by way of their plugin.

Comment

Working...
                          X