Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alexa Discovery COMPLETELY broken?!? Please Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa Discovery COMPLETELY broken?!? Please Help.

I've read through the existing threads and tried all of the "fixes" and NOTHING works. I simply cannot discover ANY Homeseer connected devices anymore.

A little background, I've been successfully using HomeSeer (Zee S2 Lite, currently on 4.2.16.0) with Alexa voice commands since Summer 2020. Even after going through the upgrade to HS4 a while ago so was still fine. I even recently added a GE branded Jasco dimmer in late November 2022 and that was discovered without issue. Well as of the last couple of days, after adding an Enbrighten branded Jasco dimmer (new gen), Alexa will not discover the switch...or anything else connected to HomeSeer.

What's strange is all of my existing devices DID still work through voice control. Then of course I followed the "magic fix" of disabling voice control through bulk edit, unlinking the HS Smart Home skill, and DELETING ALL DEVICES from Alexa, rebooting the HS device...and now I'm dead in the water as nothing will re-discover. Not even the devices that were working fine prior to all of this.

I have/had about 25-ish voice enabled devices (mostly smart switches, a few smart plugs and a couple of smart thermostats --- no events were voice enabled.) I can't even discover a single voice enabled HomeSeer device n Alexa (all others are disabled from voice control). I even tried deleting the new Enbrighten smart switch from the mix.

I too cannot discover a new switch. After giving up on the Intsteon USB and marks program (I cant get any insteon devices to respond) I had a couple Z-wave devices that were working great, so Today I swapped an Insteon switch for a Jasco pro smart switch. I can control it from Homeseer, but Alexa cannot find it.

Comment

add a me too here. Nothing is found. I and deleted what already worked trying to fix it and that killed everything!!! Arghhhhhhhhh

Comment

I find other threads in this forum with the same issue going back to at least October 22. Did those get resolved and this is a new issue? or is this the same issue that has not yet been resolved. If so, I'm pretty disappointed in Homeseer.

Comment

Same issue here, tried restoring an older HS4 backup, reset MyHs password, relinked Alexa apps. How this started is that I asked Alexa to delete all devices, now I can't get them back.

Comment

Right now, my schedule is a little full, so getting to someone to look at the issue takes a while. That said, I can say that with every user I have helped, all I've done was go through a basic set of steps to get them working again with the Echo.

1. Make sure the user/pass used for linking is for that system only. This can be checked by remotely logging in to your system through MYHS. (doing it from your house doesn't work as MYHS will do a local redirect rather than passing the commands through the tunnel server.)
            2. Unlink your Echo account and delete all your HomeSeer devices in the Echo app. (Scenes as well if your loading events.)
            3. Relink the echo app to HomeSeer.
            4. Uncheck all devices for voice in HomeSeer.
            5. Uncheck all events for voice in HomeSeer.
            6. Select a device in HomeSeer for voice. (One you're having a problem with is preferable.)
            7. The criteria for a Voice device is the same for all HomeSeer devices:

If your setting voice for the root, each control use must be unique for the root.
            That means if multiple child devices have the same control use under the root, the discovery can't distinguish between them as they are all for the same device.
            In that case, separate the features to each be voice controlled by themselves.

Be sure that for each device to be discovered, the voice command is checked and there is an appropriate control use for it.

Just do one device to start, then add more as you go.

Once your used to checking devices to be added prior to discovery to be sure they don't deviate from the criteria, you should be all set to add multiple devices at once.

If you reach the end of everything to be tried, send me a PM with your license and I will look at it for you. (If I fix the issue without doing anything other than the steps I've laid out, please post that you were squared away.)
            As I said, it may be a few days before I can get to you to look at it.
            Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Ditto. Couldn't add a new device after a few tries so deleted all and tried rediscovering. It appears to find other technologies, but not the Homeseer devices. Also unlinked & relinked skill w/o improvement.

Comment

Dear Sgt Shultz, thanks in advance for your fast attention
                I did all the steps that you point out, but I think it must be something else, because ALEXA continues without being able to discover any of the devices that it had previously discovered and I deleted all of them as well as the scenes.
                I hope you can help us with a solution since it seems from the comments that it is general and was detonated between yesterday and today.​
                Thanks in advance for your help

Comment

To the OP, note that also voice commands for events can cause troubles. So make sure you also disable voice commands for events. It's a bit of a pain because events don't have the icon indicating if voice commands have been enabled. And there is no bulk edit for voice commands, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
                    Right now, my schedule is a little full, so getting to someone to look at the issue takes a while. That said, I can say that with every user I have helped, all I've done was go through a basic set of steps to get them working again with the Echo.

1. Make sure the user/pass used for linking is for that system only. This can be checked by remotely logging in to your system through MYHS. (doing it from your house doesn't work as MYHS will do a local redirect rather than passing the commands through the tunnel server.)
                    2. Unlink your Echo account and delete all your HomeSeer devices in the Echo app. (Scenes as well if your loading events.)
                    3. Relink the echo app to HomeSeer.
                    4. Uncheck all devices for voice in HomeSeer.
                    5. Uncheck all events for voice in HomeSeer.
                    6. Select a device in HomeSeer for voice. (One you're having a problem with is preferable.)
                    7. The criteria for a Voice device is the same for all HomeSeer devices:

If your setting voice for the root, each control use must be unique for the root.
                    That means if multiple child devices have the same control use under the root, the discovery can't distinguish between them as they are all for the same device.
                    In that case, separate the features to each be voice controlled by themselves.

Be sure that for each device to be discovered, the voice command is checked and there is an appropriate control use for it.

Just do one device to start, then add more as you go.

Once your used to checking devices to be added prior to discovery to be sure they don't deviate from the criteria, you should be all set to add multiple devices at once.

If you reach the end of everything to be tried, send me a PM with your license and I will look at it for you. (If I fix the issue without doing anything other than the steps I've laid out, please post that you were squared away.)
                    As I said, it may be a few days before I can get to you to look at it.
                    I've tried this multiple times, but went ahead and tried twice more, step by step as listed and with no luck...will PM you.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                      To the OP, note that also voice commands for events can cause troubles. So make sure you also disable voice commands for events. It's a bit of a pain because events don't have the icon indicating if voice commands have been enabled. And there is no bulk edit for voice commands, either.
                      Nope, no luck after clearing custom voice commands either.

Comment

I also am having the same issue. I turned off voice discovery for a specific device, turned back on, changed the name, does not seem to discover.

interestingly, I have around 100 devices, approx 1/3 show up in Alexa, and the others are MIA. Except for a couple new devices, all have been in the HomeSeer HS4 system for months. So nothing changed on my side.

The devices that are in Alexa do respond just fine and rather quickly with HS4.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddy View Post
                          I also am having the same issue. I turned off voice discovery for a specific device, turned back on, changed the name, does not seem to discover.

interestingly, I have around 100 devices, approx 1/3 show up in Alexa, and the others are MIA. Except for a couple new devices, all have been in the HomeSeer HS4 system for months. So nothing changed on my side.

The devices that are in Alexa do respond just fine and rather quickly with HS4.
                          Disabling the voice command on the device that isn't being discovered most likely won't work (it could, but unlikely). It's probably some other devices that throws off the discovery process before it gets to the device that you want to be discovered. That's why HS recommends turning off the Alexa discovery for ALL devices and ALL events. Then start re-enabling them one after the other and find out which one causes the discovery process to be interrupted.

I suggest that all people with this issue submit a support ticket at https://homeseer.com/contact-us/ The more people that do that the more likely HS is going to do something about it. Just last month a response to my response kind of suggested that as of lately this is not a big issue. So support tickets a) will get you support and b) will put it back on HSTs radar (compared to just PM-ing Sgt Shultz).

Comment

I went through the process and found an issue on one of the Amazon servers when doing a discovery. If you try it now it should be working
                            Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

To fix mine, the magic bullet was to make sure that the account with your MyHS credentials has local access selected. Mine did not have Use When Local enabled, this is essential for Alexa. I have enabled that.

Comment

Working...
                              X