No announcement yet.

Cant find any devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discovery seems to only work with some, not all, make and models of devices. I just posted a thread about how discovery picks up my Leviton dimmers, but not the regular on/off switches that are in the same product line. So it may not be the communication that isn't working, but that your particular devices just aren't recognized.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
      Nope! Did not make any difference. No devices are discovered.

I think I can confirm that something in MyHomeseer is not working properly. I added a new virtual device to my setup. When I go to myhs.homeseer.com via my chrome browser, the device is there. However, when I use HSTOUCH, the device does not show up. An old out-of-date version is displayed. Something is definitely wrong!

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Did you see post #6?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Note that the HABridge uses the Philips HUE discovery protocol, that is the protocol they embedded in the Echo for local control. We cannot use it as emulating that protocol violates the Philips terms of service. So we are using the Amazon API which requires the MyHS connection. We have been updating the MyHS service and its very stable at this point. My Echo has been working fine for weeks. Your voice commands are still processed by Amazon, so you will always need an Internet connection.

Originally posted by Thrag View Post
        It's a necessary evil for a published skill to work, and while I may be wrong, based on other implementations it should not in any way be required for connected home to work. The HA Bridge software has no website and that works just fine. It uses only local discovery. Unless Amazon for some reason isn't allowing HS to use local discovery, the decision to not do everything local seems a very poor one. I'm sure the poor reliability of MyHS gives the HS guys enough headaches, I can't imagine why they would want to tie more things to it and increase the number of problems and complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
          Note that the HABridge uses the Philips HUE discovery protocol, that is the protocol they embedded in the Echo for local control. We cannot use it as emulating that protocol violates the Philips terms of service. So we are using the Amazon API which requires the MyHS connection. We have been updating the MyHS service and its very stable at this point. My Echo has been working fine for weeks. Your voice commands are still processed by Amazon, so you will always need an Internet connection.
          Does Amazon give no option at all for local discovery and control similar to the Hue? It would not surprise me if this is the case, but it is would still be frustrating that an example of how things can and should work locally was the first integration they released. At its root the Hue bridge just uses SSDP for discovery, which is not proprietary. How it controls things is custom but one wouldn't want to copy that anyway since it is specific to their devices.

I know I need a connection to the internet for the Echo to work. Not having to be connected to the internet is not the point of wanting local communications where should be possible. It's purely about reliability and responsiveness. It's about the basic principle of eliminating unnecessary points of failure. When it comes to the matter of responsiveness, adding an additional trip around the internet is never a positive.

Comment

They do not have an option for local control, I suspect they did not realize how many different HA systems were out there. Maybe they will add something in the future. The local control uses the JSON protocol. Response is pretty quick here.

Originally posted by Thrag View Post
            Does Amazon give no option at all for local discovery and control similar to the Hue? It would not surprise me if this is the case, but it is would still be frustrating that an example of how things can and should work locally was the first integration they released. At its root the Hue bridge just uses SSDP for discovery, which is not proprietary. How it controls things is custom but one wouldn't want to copy that anyway since it is specific to their devices.

I know I need a connection to the internet for the Echo to work. Not having to be connected to the internet is not the point of wanting local communications where should be possible. It's purely about reliability and responsiveness. It's about the basic principle of eliminating unnecessary points of failure. When it comes to the matter of responsiveness, adding an additional trip around the internet is never a positive.

Comment

So, when you tell Echo to discover devices, where is it looking? I assume it is the MyHomeseer cloud which is supposed to be mirroring my system. I don't think the cloud is properly mirroring my local system. How can I be sure it is?

Steve Q

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

There is a json call in hs that handles this, check your log when you start the discovery, it will log a message. Make sure you can access your system from myhs.homeseer.com.

So, when you tell Echo to discover devices, where is it looking? I assume it is the MyHomeseer cloud which is supposed to be mirroring my system. I don't think the cloud is properly mirroring my local system. How can I be sure it is?

Steve Q

Comment

Cant find any devices

Nothing appears in the HS3 log. Yes, I can connect to myhs.homeseer.com. Yes, I can connect via HStouch on my iPad. Yes I can control my devices by either method. Yes, the Amazon Alexa app shows that I am linked to HomeSeer. Yes, I have devices that have control use set to on/off on the status graphics tab for several devices. Yes, IFTTT works without any problems. No, Amazon Echo cannot find any devices.

This is the 4th time I have tried all this!

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                  2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Do you have the premium MyHS account with multiple users? Email me your license ID and we can see what the problem is.

Nothing appears in the HS3 log. Yes, I can connect to myhs.homeseer.com. Yes, I can connect via HStouch on my iPad. Yes I can control my devices by either method. Yes, the Amazon Alexa app shows that I am linked to HomeSeer. Yes, I have devices that have control use set to on/off on the status graphics tab for several devices. Yes, IFTTT works without any problems. No, Amazon Echo cannot find any devices.

This is the 4th time I have tried all this!

Comment

I do not have a premium account. If I need one I will sign up, but I did not think I needed a premimum account. I will send you an email.

Steve Q

Comment

I signed up for a premimum account. Lets see if that solves the problem. I did recently switch to a new computer. I'll test it later today.

Steve Q

Comment

I signed up for a premimum account. Lets see if that solves the problem. I did recently switch to a new computer. I'll test it later today.

Steve Q
                          You only need a premium account if you need to connect to more than one HS3 instance.

Comment

No, you do not need one. When I get your license ID I will investigate.

I do not have a premium account. If I need one I will sign up, but I did not think I needed a premimum account. I will send you an email.

Steve Q

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                              Yes - that is the first screenshot above - here it is in larger size:

I dont have Home seer in this list as shown in the photo.. i dunno what i am doing wrong i followed all the steps. also i believe there should be an amazon pop up window showing all the time on the windows version running HS3, but that doesn't show as well.. any ideas?

Comment

Hey there Ramy....still waiting here for SSD....did you get to it yet? Its been over a month now...
                                - Pete

Auto mator
                                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                                X