Have Alexa Read Temperature Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have Alexa Read Temperature Device

Is there a way to have Alexa speak the value of a device, like a temperature reading? If not with the API, maybe the skill?

Thanks

That would be really cool, unfortunately I don't think there is anything like that yet, having that feature would be the best, like you said saying Alexa what is the temperature on the thermostat right now would be the max. Not sure why amazon hs did not create such a feature yet

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe I am misunderstanding the question. But I can say Alexa tell homeseer to get the status of the hall temperature and it will read the temperature from my thermostat, or Alexa tell homeseer to get the status of the bedroom temperature and it will read the sensor on my remotec device. One word of caution, it works for my honeywell thermostat and my remotec sensor but both have power to them. I am not sure it works with a battery-powered sensor - not sure if those are always listening.

Comment

Originally posted by wkomorow View Post
        Maybe I am misunderstanding the question. But I can say Alexa tell homeseer to get the status of the hall temperature and it will read the temperature from my thermostat, or Alexa tell homeseer to get the status of the bedroom temperature and it will read the sensor on my remotec device. One word of caution, it works for my honeywell thermostat and my remotec sensor but both have power to them. I am not sure it works with a battery-powered sensor - not sure if those are always listening.
        It won't matter whether they are powered or not. The Echo integration reads HomeSeer devices. All devices in HomeSeer are actually virtual, with their values being updated and controls being sent to/from physical devices by their respective plug-ins. When Echo reads a device value, it will report the value of the HomeSeer device from the most recent update.
        Last edited by randy; July 16, 2016, 01:27 PM. Reason: Typo
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

OK thanks. I will try it from the skill as I tried it from the API and nothing happened.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            It won't matter whether they are powered or not. The Echo integration reads HomeSeer devices. All devices in HomeSeer are actually virtual, with their values being updated and controls being sent to/from physical devices by their respective plug-ins. When Echo reads a device value, it will report the value of the HomeSeer device from the most recent update.
            Good to know. I only have owered sensors.

Comment

Working...
            X