Cannot "Tell HomeSeer to turn on <device>"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot "Tell HomeSeer to turn on <device>"

I have a bunch of GH devices and use them with HS however for some reason I cannot say "Tell HomeSeer to turn on the desk lamp". I get "Sorry I don't understand" response from GH. I can say "turn on desk lamp" and it will work, of course this is because GH has found this device when linking.

I also cannot tell HS to run an event either by name or by phrase recognized. Before I could say "tell HomeSeer to run the event <name> and it would, or I could say "tell HomeSeer <phrase recognized> but now neither work.

Also none of the GH shortcuts work. i.e. Shortcut to turn on/off computer should run and event to turn on a computer (sleep mode). Response is "Sorry I can't help with that yet". There is an event to toggle power to the computer.

All this worked before the changes made by HS to incorporate the HS as a service in GH.

So now my simple commands no longer work except for theos found when I link the HS service with the GH.

What gives??

Same for me.

It used to work (mostly) but now it appears to be broken. It seems to have been down for a few days. I just tried setting up HS in the Home app and I still get the same response.

Alexa has been more reliable...

Comment

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=189452
      Jon

Comment

Thanks jon00. This is not an adequate answer. We have lost functionality in the respect an event cannot be run with just a simple voice command.

When going to bed each evening I now have to say "turn good night on". With the use of your Alexa app I was able to just say "good night" so now two steps back and still none forward.

HomeSeer constantly disappoints me and I have endured it for longer than I sometimes want to think about. They finally fix something the break two or three other things in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbrandon View Post
          Thanks jon00. This is not an adequate answer. We have lost functionality in the respect an event cannot be run with just a simple voice command.

When going to bed each evening I now have to say "turn good night on". With the use of your Alexa app I was able to just say "good night" so now two steps back and still none forward.

HomeSeer constantly disappoints me and I have endured it for longer than I sometimes want to think about. They finally fix something the break two or three other things in the process.
          I'm not sure you can blame Homeseer for this one. If Google only allows one Skill, which one would you choose? For most people, asking GH to control lights without saying 'Tell Homeseer' is more user friendly (even if it means a loss of functionality for more advanced stuff).
          Jon

Comment

I know only too well Google has very high standards from testing products with them but I must blame HomeSeer for NOT fully implementing all functions when releasing the service. HS in the past has done a very shabby job of integrating with other systems first time around. They always seem to be in a rush to "get the job done" without considering what impact to end users.

If I had a choice I would not use the current service, it is half backed at best. It broke your Alexa plugin (which worked very well with GH as you know).

Fact is it broke anything where you say "tell homeseer to..." period. No work around other than creating a virtual switch to activate an event. Well saying "turn good night on" just does not ring my bell...

And where are all the mouthy HS staff, not a one of them has replied to the thread. I fear it is because they are too ashamed of the half finished code the submitted to Google in the first place. Maybe taking a little more time up front before releasing would be in their best interest.

I have use HS software from ver 1.2. I have never been real happy with HS as a whole, I continue to use it because it is the best there is out there without forcing me to use proprietary hardware. You guys out there that write the plugins is what makes HS livable. If I (or anyone) relied on HS to do the interfaces needed we would never have a working system.

I made the decision to move to GH away from Alexa because of your plugin and the then current interface with HS. HomeSeer's latest and greatest makes me start to doubt my decision.

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
            I'm not sure you can blame Homeseer for this one. If Google only allows one Skill, which one would you choose? For most people, asking GH to control lights without saying 'Tell Homeseer' is more user friendly (even if it means a loss of functionality for more advanced stuff).

Comment

Sorry Jim but what do you mean by half finished code?

As present, the Google Home Smart Home API only allows support to devices that can be turned ON, OFF or Dimmed and the selection of the colour for certain smart bulbs. I believe Homeseer's GH integration provide full support for all those functions?

In my mind, you should be blaming Google because if they did allow both skills to operate concurrently (like Alexa), you would not be having this conversation.
              Jon

Comment

Comment

I have been fighting to try to use Google Home with HS.
                  As said above I want to say "Good night" when I want the house to go in night mode and not "Turn the virtual-living-light off" ...
                  Using GH shortcut or HS voice-command field does not help, specially if you have many devices that have "light" or "living" in their name or locations(s)....

Now, try the IFTT for Google Home: On the same screen you can set your phrase and alternative phrases and chose an event to be triggered by HS.... and it works very well !
                  Now, I turn on or off the lights in the room where the GH stands just using "Lights" that triggers a toogle event, and I just use "Good night" for the good-night routine.
                  The delay for IFTT is about 1 secs, and I feel it as a small inconvenient opposed to what HS offers.

I don't get why HS cannot fire events as IFFT can.
                  I feel that parsing the voice command to try to find the device's location and name is not the good way to go when you have many devices, specially with same words, sometimes in the location, sometimes in the name (as for "lights" or "room" in my setup).
                  Visit zee e-maison : http://www.e-maison.com

Comment

@jimbrandon: I have a couple of Google Homes and Amazon’s Echoes. On Echoes, HomeSeer can use both ‘tell homeseer to..’ and direct ‘turn on/off device’ format.

So clearly the problem is not with HomeSeer’s implementation. As others have mentioned, you should take up this issue to Google. Or just wait until Google opens up more commands\device types.
                    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

It is clearly a HomeSeer issue. I have talked with Google Support and NOTHING is commingle accross. All Homes have been reset, all android devices have HD cache cleared and the Home app removed and devices have been testarted.

And where is the HS staff with this issue, I guess out to lunch.

Comment

Working...
                      X