"An error occurred while syncing HomeSeer"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"An error occurred while syncing HomeSeer"

This seems to be pretty common. Why is it so fragile? Can you provide us with any way to troubleshoot this on our own?

... and it just started working again.

Comment

how did you get it working? i've had this error for over a month now and can't update any of the new devices i've added. I keep trying thinking that maybe it will just magically kick back in. I've rebooted Homeseer and restarted my plugins, hasn't helped. I'm afraid to delete my homseer account from google home and re-add in as maybe it wont come back at all and at least now, some of my devices are still working.
      HomeSeer version 3.0.0.435 Edition: HS3 ZEE S2

Comment

Originally posted by getmp3s View Post
        how did you get it working? i've had this error for over a month now and can't update any of the new devices i've added. I keep trying thinking that maybe it will just magically kick back in. I've rebooted Homeseer and restarted my plugins, hasn't helped. I'm afraid to delete my homseer account from google home and re-add in as maybe it wont come back at all and at least now, some of my devices are still working.
        HomeSeer version 3.0.0.435 Edition: HS3 ZEE S2
        Go to the "Home Menu"

Using the "Device List" select all your devices and then "Disable Voice" for all you devices.

Now sync with google home. (No devices are being synced but I think this cleans up the sync list)

Now go back and select 25% or 50% of your devices and "Enable Voice" then sync. Select another grouping and then sync.

Use this technique until you have identified the one bad device that won't sync. (If the is one you may need to remove/add it to your system again)

I went though this doing (~25%) of my devices each sync and all my devices were able to sync when I was done.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubber_Boot View Post

Go to the "Home Menu"

Using the "Device List" select all your devices and then "Disable Voice" for all you devices.

Now sync with google home. (No devices are being synced but I think this cleans up the sync list)

Now go back and select 25% or 50% of your devices and "Enable Voice" then sync. Select another grouping and then sync.

Use this technique until you have identified the one bad device that won't sync. (If the is one you may need to remove/add it to your system again)

I went though this doing (~25%) of my devices each sync and all my devices were able to sync when I was done.

I hope this helps.
          How many devices are you syncing in total?
          -Wade

Comment

This technique worked, but with extreme prejudice as it took me about 4 hours and over a hundred sync attempts. Ultimately none of my devices have any kind of sync problem it was just a matter of syncing only a few devices at a time in some ridiculous cryptic order and repeating sync attempts over and over again until it worked. 50 devices took me 4 hours. And to add insult to injury I plan on making changes to my system and adding more Omni buttons to control audio devices which means I'm going to have to do this all over again. I feel like I'm committed now because I bought so much homeseer stuff but if I knew then what I knew now... I did open a ticket, reply was that an engineer would look into it. So maybe one day this will be fixed. That would be awesome since that's really the only reason I got the homeseer. My Omni controller already handles all the Automation in my home the only thing it doesn't have is a Google home link, so that's all I use the homeseer for

Comment

This method is ridiculous even if it works. The kind of pain it brings, specially if you have setup routines with Alexa etc, you need to fix each of them. And if you have to do it for a customers, then it simply multiplies. I've basically given up on GH integration, I personally feel that Alexa is better integrated with any automation device/server.

Comment

Originally posted by vbhoj74 View Post
                This method is ridiculous even if it works. The kind of pain it brings, specially if you have setup routines with Alexa etc, you need to fix each of them. And if you have to do it for a customers, then it simply multiplies. I've basically given up on GH integration, I personally feel that Alexa is better integrated with any automation device/server.
                Agree! This is ridiculous...! I've been doing a lot of set up work over the past two days, resyncing quite often with no troubles. Then, whammmoooo! The dreaded error multiple times. I unlinked and re-linked the account twice to no avail. Warning, when you unlink the account and eventually get it linked all the room associations in Google Home are lost! This is a pain if you use a general term like "table light" for the kitchen and dining room. When you reassign the rooms you don't know which "table light" to assign to which room! I started to put the room name in the voice command at the end for future relinking.

My conclusion is something very fragile on the HomeSeer side of things.

This is a sad state. I have had this set up for more than six months without any trouble but that was testing with a handful of devices. Now trying to load up a couple of dozen.

Here is a follow up....as you can see, the Homeseer server is misbehaving...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2018-10-09 at 2.21.05 PM.png Views:	1 Size:	20.6 KB ID:	1252267

Now, 20 minutes since the last update it resync'd four times in a row successfully. Maybe a coincidence, but it started working shortly after sending email to HS Support. Rebooted the server? In any case, happy if they did something that fixed it.
                Last edited by raprap; October 9, 2018, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I've been in communication with Homeseer technical support - the issue is a timeout value that appears to not be giving Homeseer enough time to sync with Google. Homeseer has informed me they are waiting on Google to roll out a fix for this, until such time, you can only sync "a couple" of devices. I'm following up with the tech to ask if they know exactly how many devices will work so that we know where the cutoff is and then i'll have to just sync my priority devices that i absolutely need until such time as the system is fixed and we can sync all our devices again. Historically, Google does not fix things fast.

Comment

Originally posted by getmp3s View Post
                    I've been in communication with Homeseer technical support - the issue is a timeout value that appears to not be giving Homeseer enough time to sync with Google. Homeseer has informed me they are waiting on Google to roll out a fix for this, until such time, you can only sync "a couple" of devices. I'm following up with the tech to ask if they know exactly how many devices will work so that we know where the cutoff is and then i'll have to just sync my priority devices that i absolutely need until such time as the system is fixed and we can sync all our devices again. Historically, Google does not fix things fast.
                    This is the most information on the issue I've seen so far, and fits fairly well with the problems people are reporting. I have had the same ridiculous frustration of EVERY device working if I only add that device, and trying to link accounts with too many devices or resync with too many devices fails to work -- inconsistently, at different numbers of devices, etc etc. I've wasted days on this in total, and trying to go through tech support with either Google or Homeseer has been pretty frustrating, the usual algorithmic try-this, try-this, try-this, give-up. I wish they would both be more open and transparent.

Comment

Well there is new element in this old game. Before GH would "think" for 30-40 sec and respond "failed to sync with HomeSeer". Now it doesn't "think" at all. Responds immediately "An error occurred while syncing my test app". What is "my test app" anyhow? Anyone getting similar responses.

Comment

mine still pauses for 30 seconds and then says failed to sync with HomeSeer"...

Comment

Same here ... all of a sudden getting "failed to sync my test app". Disabled all voice devices, still no luck ...

Comment

There are now at least 3 threads about this same thing. As I wrote the other day in the thread Totally broken please fix:
                            I am able to sync using the Google Home app on my phone (Android) by clicking the mic at the bottom and saying, "Sync HomeSeer." If I use the Assistant (squeeze sides of phone - Pixel 2xl) and say the same, or if I initiate the sync from my home unit, I get the error.

Maybe it will work for you as well.

Since I have not changed my HomeSeer installation, but Google Home and Assistant has updated multiple times, I wonder where the problem really is.

Karl
                            Karl S
                            HS4Pro on Windows 10
                            1070 Devices
                            56 Z-Wave Nodes
                            104 Events
                            HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                            Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

As I wrote in another thread, Google expects all apps for the assistant to finish the response within 5 seconds, which I think is fairly reasonable. If the app needs to process longer than that the user experience will not be very good.

zyrgh

Comment

Working...
                              X