Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feature Improvement - Google Home - Add to Supported Device Types

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Feature Improvement - Google Home - Add to Supported Device Types

    Currently, HomeSeer devices appear in Google Home as a light or as a switch. HomeSeer seems to control this based on whether the HomeSeer device is a dimmer or has the "Is Light" option checked, in which case the device appears as a light, otherwise it is a switch.

    Google Home, however, appears to support a much broader array of device types. See: https://developers.google.com/actions/smarthome/guides/

    I'm assuming we would have better Google Home interaction if Home had a more accurate understanding of what a device is.

    My suggestions are:
    1. That (i) the simple "Is Light" checkbox on a HomeSeer device's tab be replaced with a drop-down list (or include a separate drop down list) allowing users to more specifically identify the device type or, in the alternative, (ii) that a "Google Home" and "Alexa" tabs be added to the current array of [Configuration][Advanced][Status Graphics][ZWave] tabs and the user could configure this type of information there.
    2. I'd also like to see a way to set this in bulk (much like you can select numerous devices and then set them all to the same room or floor).

    I'm assuming Alexa has some kind of similar listing of types and this would be helpful there too.

    Ideally, the device type would also appear in the JSON information you can get from HomeSeer.

    Someone from HomeSeer - what are your thoughts? Can this be added?





  • #2
    +1

    Comment


    • #3
      +1 This is needed. Crazy as it sounds but I have more control with homeseer / home kit integration with homebridge and I can customize.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mjolsen View Post
        +1 This is needed. Crazy as it sounds but I have more control with homeseer / home kit integration with homebridge and I can customize.
        Another advantage is if this information was present in HomeSeer and available via the JSON interface, I could update my homebridge plugin (homebridge-homeseer-plugin-2018) so that user's no longer needed to write the configuration file that drives homebridge; rather the information could be obtained directly from HomeSeer.

        Comment


        • #5
          I am also voting for this, as my blinds behave as lights which is basically preventing me from using google home for lights, as the blinds are fallowing the commands.

          So my blinds are named "living room blinds" and lights are "living room lights" and when ask google to "lights on" or even "living room lights on", the blinds will fallow whatever I asked for, as google thinks of them as lights. Very annoying when blinds are down and I just want a bit more of light, I ask google for more lights and the blinds start going up or down as well.

          Comment


          • #6
            +1 Great idea

            Comment


            • #7
              I think the path to expanding devices lies in the status tab. Google can now take a list of modes. For instance you might have high, medium, low. This is just not being taken advantage of in HS. I have sent an email about this to Rich long back. His objection is that they required each mode be sent for approval. I think that was a valid objection. Now they have removed that. I had pinged him again, in October but have not heard back yet.

              https://medium.com/google-developers...s-4d096729f257


              - Tom

              HSPro/Insteon

              Comment


              • #8
                I see that google has significantly updated list of devices from last time I have checked.
                It would be great if at least some of the new devices is supported, it could be implemented even in some more primitive way for more general devices, like switches and blinds and other popular devices, and later (or in v4) modes could be implemented as well

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tpchristian View Post
                  I think the path to expanding devices lies in the status tab. Google can now take a list of modes. For instance you might have high, medium, low. This is just not being taken advantage of in HS. I have sent an email about this to Rich long back. His objection is that they required each mode be sent for approval. I think that was a valid objection. Now they have removed that. I had pinged him again, in October but have not heard back yet.

                  https://medium.com/google-developers...s-4d096729f257

                  Unless getting these modes approved was a particularly onerous process, I don't see how that is a valid objection. HomeSeer claims Google Home support and I'd like to see HomeSeer striving for a "best-in-class" implementaiton. Instead, it seems to be implemented as a check-the-marketing-box function (i.e., they implement enough to say they support Google Home, but have not undertaken the effort to make it a "best-in-class" implementation ).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jvm View Post

                    Unless getting these modes approved was a particularly onerous process, I don't see how that is a valid objection. HomeSeer claims Google Home support and I'd like to see HomeSeer striving for a "best-in-class" implementaiton. Instead, it seems to be implemented as a check-the-marketing-box function (i.e., they implement enough to say they support Google Home, but have not undertaken the effort to make it a "best-in-class" implementation ).
                    That is moot now. Now, Google doesn't require approval. It seems that it would not be possible to send many more devices from HS to Google.
                    - Tom

                    HSPro/Insteon

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X