Google Home without MyHS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Home without MyHS?

I have a DDNS to which I can access my system via webpage, HSTouch and HomeSeer Mobile. Can I connect Google Home through this same method or do I have to have a myHS subscription to make it work?

The solution I just figured out here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...stom-responses

...doesn't require myHS, although you could use myHS if you wanted to.
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

That solution seems less than ideal because it doesn't use Google Assistant's smart home mechanisms, so you can't use the touch controls on a Home Hub, for example.

It would be really great to have first-party support for using Google Assistant with a direct connection, and thus no need for MyHS.

Comment

You're right. The solution I linked to above is voice only. I use that, plus the native HomeSeer/myHS integration, at the same time.

What problem(s) are you looking to avoid by bypassing myHS?

I believe the technical limitations are due to how Google Assistant runs things. It seems you can only specify credentials for any Google integrations. The Google Action then talks to a single end-point for all users (myHS in this case), using the credentials to decide what to do (in this case, which IP/port to target).
        HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
        Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

I just like to have as few entry points to my network as possible. I don't need MyHS as I have a port open in my router (and adequately locked down), so I would prefer not to use it if I didn't have to.

Plus, it's an extra layer that doesn't need to be there. And on a few occasions now, something has gone wrong in MyHS and I've needed to relink HS (and thus set up my entire home again with Google) to fix it.

Comment

Yup, that's what I thought. I can relate as I've tried to avoid relying on myHS for anything as well. Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible for Google Home integration unless you want to write your own. I have never had to relink HS but I've read about others having similar issues. Personally, I only add devices to rooms in Google Home when I want to use generic commands and have them do different things based on which room I'm in (turn on the TV, turn on the lights, etc). Everything else works w/o adding devices to rooms. That at least limits the rework should something reset. I'm not sure what other setup you may be referring to. I could see the argument for wanting the Google Home and Hub interfaces to have everything organized in rooms, but I would then argue you're wasting time navigating when you could just speak. :-)

Comment

Working...
            X