Event triggering Google Home action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event triggering Google Home action

Is there any way to trigger Google Home to do something? In particular I would love to create an event, say a UPB light switch motion, that then asks Google Home to "Play Music on Home". Home is my generic combination of all Chromecasts in the house. I would prefer to keep GH as the source for music as talking to it is very natural for skipping songs and changing what is playing. I can see how actions work the other way, but is there a way to pass GH an action?

I have just been playing with this very scenario. You can do it but it requires a bit of effort.

There is an app called Assistant Relay that runs on a Node JS server (in my case I use my HS computer for this task). You can JSON Post a text command to this server (using a HS script) and it will act as if the command had been verbally issued to the Google assistant.

If this is of interest I'm happy to point you to what you need and tell you what I've learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Deephaven View Post
      Is there any way to trigger Google Home to do something? In particular I would love to create an event, say a UPB light switch motion, that then asks Google Home to "Play Music on Home". Home is my generic combination of all Chromecasts in the house. I would prefer to keep GH as the source for music as talking to it is very natural for skipping songs and changing what is playing. I can see how actions work the other way, but is there a way to pass GH an action?
      You can check out the chromecast plugin from Spud as well. I use that for voice announcements more than music, but it can do both.
      - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
      Web Site
      YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by JSC View Post
        I have just been playing with this very scenario. You can do it but it requires a bit of effort.

There is an app called Assistant Relay that runs on a Node JS server (in my case I use my HS computer for this task). You can JSON Post a text command to this server (using a HS script) and it will act as if the command had been verbally issued to the Google assistant.

If this is of interest I'm happy to point you to what you need and tell you what I've learned.
        I would love it...in particular if my assumptions below are correct.

Originally posted by JSC View Post

I looked at that, but don't want to control the ChromeCast but the GH. Reason being is that once it is playing I would use my voice to tell the GH how to change what is playing (ie, station, volume, etc). We are pretty enamored with the voice control here and how it works, but I'd like to automate the turning on of the kitchen into "cooking mode" for instance.

If I read the info wrong as I am new to HS please feel free to put me in my place. I spent hours searching the forum for the right solution but didn't find it yet.

Comment

FYI, the Chromecast plugin can also control Google Home devices. The plugin can cast audio to a speaker in the form of a URL, but it sounds like you want to have music played via one of the attached audio services like Play Music. I don't think the plugin can do that.

Since you are the proud owner of HomeSeer, I would suggest you do all of your automation in there instead of Google Home Routines, when possible. That said, I don't know what "cooking mode" does.

You could create a virtual device in HomeSeer. Once imported into Google Home, you could rename it to "Cooking Mode". Then you could say "turn on cooking mode" or "turn off cooking mode" and the HS virtual device would change. You could create events that run when that device changes.

Programmatically sending voice commands to a Google Home device is a neat idea. You may need JSC's solution for that. I wish it were easier. Maybe spud could incorporate something like that into his Chromecast plugin in the future.

Good luck!

HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
          Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
            ld create a virtual device in HomeSeer. Once imported into Google Home, you could rename it to "Cooking Mode". Then you could say "turn on cooking mode" or "turn off cooking mode" and the HS virtual device would change. You could create events that run when that device changes.
            One other idea is to use HomeSeer Events directly. They show up as scenes in the routine. Create one HS event per routine that you have. This also avoids any of the dreaded, "I couldn't reach x of your devices" messages. You need to set the voice command flag on the event before it will get sync'd to GH.
            - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
            Web Site
            YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
              FYI, the Chromecast plugin can also control Google Home devices. The plugin can cast audio to a speaker in the form of a URL, but it sounds like you want to have music played via one of the attached audio services like Play Music. I don't think the plugin can do that.

Since you are the proud owner of HomeSeer, I would suggest you do all of your automation in there instead of Google Home Routines, when possible. That said, I don't know what "cooking mode" does.

You could create a virtual device in HomeSeer. Once imported into Google Home, you could rename it to "Cooking Mode". Then you could say "turn on cooking mode" or "turn off cooking mode" and the HS virtual device would change. You could create events that run when that device changes.

Programmatically sending voice commands to a Google Home device is a neat idea. You may need JSC's solution for that. I wish it were easier. Maybe spud could incorporate something like that into his Chromecast plugin in the future.

Good luck!

I never though of that. Brilliant. Any other tips or guides besides the above and Chromecast plugin TTS?

Comment

Originally posted by devanb View Post

I never though of that. Brilliant. Any other tips or guides besides the above and Chromecast plugin TTS?
                Probably ;-) It might be easier to know what to tell you if you had a particular goal in mind.

I use the Chromecast plugin for TTS throughout the house via multiple Minis and a Home Hub. I even sometimes play WAV files before the TTS to get our attention. I use the airport/airplane bing-bong noise, a siren, fire alarm. If you create a speaker group and send your TTS or WAV files to that, all speakers will play in sync. I also use that plugin to cast my doorbell video to my Home Hub and Chromecasts when the doorbell rings. I believe that plugin will be built into HS4.

Let us know what you're looking to do and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice.
                HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
                Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

I specifically have reolink Argus 2 cameras hooked up through Google Assistant I also have HS4 on raspie integration in the house.... I just want to quite simply make a device or motion sensor or something in homeseer trigger setting off a routine voice command to my google assistant.. for example the verbal command to see my reolink camera is... "show me front yard cam on living room display"

I am able to set up a routine that can adjust that lingo down to simplify it but I have not found a trigger between homeseer and Google.... would I be able to use the Chromecast plugin in any way to create this?... fyi I have chromecasts as well but have since retired them... I could utilize them if I have to in an HDMI slot in my main living room TV but I am suffice with the video going to my Google nest display next to my TV for example somebody triggers a sensor at the front door or rings a doorbell then that would pop the video up from my camera BUT I am not talking about a video doorbell I want to utilize my own camera that does work with Google Assistant at this point and will pop up already on my Google nest display with one simple verbal command so if I can access thatsthat GA routine or that verbal command somehow in a trigger connected to homeseer then I would be good to go.

Comment

Yes, I use the Chromecast plugin to cast my doorbell and other cameras to hub displays or Chromecast TVs. The Chromecast plugin can "cast" a URL to any Chromecast or Hub. If you can find your camera's video stream URL, you can cast that directly if it is a format that the devices support. If not, you can use an IP camera program like iSpy or Blueiris to more or less transcode your camera feeds to a format the Google devices support. I have to do this for my cameras. I use iSpy. If my doorbell rings, all Hub displays show the doorbell video, and if a TV is on, the doorbell video will appear in PIP on that TV.

Comment

there would be no reason for me to do it like this because this is already done for my reolink cameras , they have Google Assistant and automatically intricate through home automation and are already working fine. all I have to do is send a verbal command saying ok Google show me the front yard cam and it shows me that camera on the Google nest display, if I had chromecasts set up which I have some but I've retired them I could also directly from Google Assistant command that to a Chromecast device without using any extra plugins or anything because this camera like I said was designed to work with Google Assistant.... so I'm fine with that... mine is quite simple I just need to find a way to say show me the front yard cam directly to my Google Assistant system in a verbal command format from Homeseer as a trigger then I should be good to go

Comment

Can't do that to my knowledge. Casting is the alternative

Comment

yup... once these API authorizations get released out there it'll be simple

Comment

I use the "assistant relay". I call assistant relay from a homeseer event using json scripts (.sh file on linux). You can send google commands like "turn on bedroom tv" , you cannot send commands like "play stranger things on bedroom tv"

I use this to turn on/off all my TVs because they all have a chromecast in them, and HDMI-CEC support

Comment

With the addition of Node Red, you might check out this write up to use CEC to turn on/off your TV. While the author is using Home Assistant, HomeSeer would be able to replace such. Using this you could set an MQTT device in HomeSeer for the TV and control that with your Google Home.
                              Last edited by ksum; August 7, 2020, 08:50 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
                              Karl S
                              HS4Pro on Windows 10
                              1070 Devices
                              56 Z-Wave Nodes
                              104 Events
                              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                              Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Working...
                              X