X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local Home control for Google Assistant leaves beta

Simple:​​​​​​ We Need This.
    From the article:
    At last year’s Google I/O the Assistant team announced a beta of their Local Home SDK to allow local command and control of Smart Home devices by Google Assistant hardware. Today the SDK graduated from Beta into an official public release.
    And yes, I checked. It was not written in April 1.

Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

So if I understand this correctly, Homeseer can control homeseer devices via Google Home directly, using the Google cloud only as backup.

Would it still need MYHS?

Comment

Can? Currently I believe it is not in their code, so technically that is not correct. As I understand it they COULD make an update to allow for local control. And then they would not use myHS except for the backup. Yes, I am splitting hairs, but want to make sure people do not think it is possible with the HomeSeer code as it sets today. Unless they were on the beta testing and release it today, that is.
      Karl S
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      1070 Devices
      56 Z-Wave Nodes
      104 Events
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
      Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

So if I think what they are getting at is to sync Google Home to your local HS server (the bridge) instead of MyHS for Local Home Access, correct? If that is what it is or could be then they really would have something there. If they are talking about accessing a specific device without the bridge like a Zwave switch or something like that then so what. Most of us that use numerous devices and manufactures will have to wait forever. I'm crossing fingers for the former and not the later.

Comment

You guys beat me to this. Another article:

https://ausdroid.net/2020/04/07/loca...t-leaves-beta/

It sounds like the developers create a small Java Applet that lives on the Home device. Given HomeSeer's existing ability to parse speech, plus their JSON API, I think this is well within the realm of the existing HomeSeer code. HomeSeer Tech would just need to create the Applet piece, if they haven't already. Sounds to me this could solve all of our problems. I would expect myHS to remain as the preferred method of most people to connect via smart phone apps, since our phones leave our houses. For Google Home devices, keeping local what can stay local is a fantastic idea.
          HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
          Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

hoping this gets implemented soon on the HS side - would really like to see this!

link to the SDK for anyone looking - https://developers.google.com/assist...eference/local

Comment

I want this implemented very much please

Comment

Originally posted by benginerd View Post
                hoping this gets implemented soon on the HS side - would really like to see this!

link to the SDK for anyone looking - https://developers.google.com/assist...eference/local
                Spud, is this possible?

Comment

Originally posted by mik3 View Post

Spud, is this possible?
                  Yes, any updates? It would really be good to take advantage of this capability, and it also may be able to regain Nest functionality with this new API.

Thanks!
                  Mike

Comment

that would be great !!1

Comment

I wanted to bump this. Seems it could go a long way to eliminate the frequent communication issues with Google Assistant -> myHS -> HomeSeer.

https://developers.google.com/assist...concepts/local

I'm also hoping this enables the ability to say "Tell HomeSeer..." to send the spoken text to, and get custom responses from, HomeSeer.

Has anyone heard from HST on whether or not this is on the roadmap? I don't want to @ them for a feature request/inquiry, but I'd really like to know.
                      HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
                      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

I would like to bump this as well. Being cloud based is not in the philosophy of Homeseer. Since HS4 is marketed as being a local solution, this ability to at least partially untether us to the cloud seems right in line with the mission and niche of Homeseer.

Comment

And another bump, I'd really appreciate if the GA->HS interaction could be faster. I have LIFX integrated in to Google Home natively (not through HomeSeer) and the interaction with the bulb is almost instant compared to forever taking (3-10+ sec) interactions with the rest of the smart home.

Comment

I think everytime I get annoyed with the Google home integration I will be posting here again.

google home and homeseer is broken again...
                            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ken-please-fix

Need this local control real bad so we don't need to go through myhs

Comment

I noticed this thread was a little old now, is this the same thing were talking about as here?

https://developers.google.com/assist.../develop/local

I take it there is no way to use like a URL or something to have GH use for sending commands directly to HS without some sort of developer implementation of this functionality, which is obviously still pending?

+1 for me to see support for this as well...

Comment

Working...
                              X