Control Google home device through homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control Google home device through homeseer

I have an led string that is wifi enabled and only controllable through Google home (a govee unit).

How can I turn this on and off with homeseer? I have a sunset event and need the strip to come in at sundown.

Thanks!

I don't have any of these, but a quick search seems to show they've released an API. Check further down in the comments section where someone describes how to apply to receive the official API info:

I have created a small Govee API client : Govee (reddit.com)

You may be able to write a small HomeSeer script to make use of the API.

In the future I would recommend steering clear of WiFi/cloud devices whenever possible. Cloud stuff just adds extra layers of hassle when trying to integrate into a centralized system like HS. Even if a HomeSeer plugin exists, or a device API exists, the manufacturer could change something one day breaking your home automation. Others may feel differently, of course, but I prefer to keep everything local whenever possible.

Ideally, you want everything connecting to HomeSeer, and then connect HomeSeer to Google Home. So, if you ever get the govee connected to HS, I would disconnect it from Google Home.

Someone in this thread appears to have cut off the govee controller and connected the LEDs to a different one to integrate to HS: Suggestions for LED light strip for behind TV - HomeSeer Message Board

Good luck!
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

There is a Govee LED contrib for Node Red. You could then use a Virtual Device in HomeSeer to start a flow which would control the device. Might take a couple virtual device Features if you can control color, brightness and other items.
      Karl S
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      1070 Devices
      56 Z-Wave Nodes
      104 Events
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
      Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
        In the future I would recommend steering clear of WiFi/cloud devices whenever possible. Cloud stuff just adds extra layers of hassle when trying to integrate into a centralized system like HS. Even if a HomeSeer plugin exists, or a device API exists, the manufacturer could change something one day breaking your home automation. Others may feel differently, of course, but I prefer to keep everything local whenever possible.
        I agree, the kids wanted this strip and it is left on all the time. Just doing what I can with what I have. 😐

Comment

My Govee plug-in for HS4 just got added to the updater. Please give it a try.

Comment

Drule, I am so excited that someone is doing something with Govee. I went into the APP requested my key, installed your plugin in to Homeseer 4 and put in my API key, received from Govee email. The log shows the following errors... not sure why can you help please? Attached as well.

Please help.

5/23/2022 2:33:31 PM

Govee Plugin
            Info
            Exception in ProcessGoveeResponse: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

5/23/2022 2:33:21 PM

Govee Plugin
            Info
            Exception in ProcessGoveeResponse: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

HomeSeer
            Plug-In
            Finished initializing plug-in Govee Plugin

HomeSeer
            Starting Plug-In
            Govee Plugin loaded in 530 milliseconds

Govee Plugin
            Info
            Starting Govee Polling...

HomeSeer
            Starting Plug-In
            Plugin Govee Plugin started successfully in 25 milliseconds

HomeSeer
            Starting Plug-In
            Initializing plugin Govee Plugin ...

HomeSeer
            Info
            Plugin drhsGovee with instance Govee Plugin has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:51800

Attached Files

Comment

I was excited by this Govee plug in as well. But I tried it and it worked a couple of times and now it will not see the devices. I even reinstalled and got a new Dev Key and still nothing. This would be a pretty cool plug in if it worked.

Comment

I am having the same issues with the govee plugin. Bad server request message in the log about every second. Also, the device shows offline , but actually can be turned on and off via the controls in Homeseer. However it can’t be controlled via Alexa. Upon trying to control the device via alexa, the alexa app says “there was a problem” after it blinks that it’s attempting to contact Homeseer. Like others, I was looking forward to this capability. It would be nice.

Comment

I'm looking for a light for "up lighting" a picture, but it needs to be HS4 compatible. This Govee plugin could be the answer, but I have a quick question before purchase a Govee light and try it.

It looks like the plug-in may require constant connection to the cloud server... is that the case? I'm hoping to keep it all in-house, really.

thanks,
                  Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMiller View Post
                    Upon trying to control the device via alexa, the alexa app says “there was a problem” after it blinks that it’s attempting to contact Homeseer.
                    Perhaps creating a virtual dev in HS, linking it (or using an event) and controlling that with Alexa might work?

Comment

Andrew_C If will give that a try if I can get the plugin to work. Currently, there are a lot of errors in the log and it doesn't work after a period of time. Based on what I've read from other posts, the Govee server can only accept so many requests from the client before it stops responding. They have suggested the polling frequency needs to be reduced. I wonder if DRule has experienced this and may have a solution. I've had to disable the plugin for now

Comment

If I remember correctly, we have a trigger process in IFTTT.
                        You might be able to use that.
                        Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

I realize your goal is to control the Govee device via Homeseer, but if you already have Google Home devices, and you've already linked Govee Home to Google Home, then all you need to do is to set up a routine in Google Home. You can set the routine "starter" to "sunset", and you can create a different routine to turn it back on if you wish.

The large majority of my home's devices are Z-Wave, but I have a few TP-Link Kasa devices and a couple of Govee devices. It's easy to control them all via Google Home routines, without linking the non-Z-Wave devices to Homeseer.

Comment

@SteveW: Yes, I have linked my Govee Devices to Google Home and can control them from there. It's "OK". However, I'd really like the simplicity of having them defined in HS4 so I can include them other events with other devices. For example, sensor triggered events that include other zwave devices. It's somewhat doable to now, but would be so much easier/nicer if they just worked in HS4 like other devices do.

Comment

Getting an accurate estimate of the cost

If you're planning to launch your new startup, you'll need an accurate estimate of the cost of custom software development. Having a precise figure will help you make decisions on how to set your budget. There are many factors that can impact the costs of development, including budget, technology stack, deadlines, and the size of your team.

Fortunately, there are several ways to get an accurate estimate. You can either break down the project into basic components, or you can hire a dedicated team. Which one is best for you depends on the level of detail you require, as well as the characteristics of your project.

When estimating the cost of custom software development for startups, you'll need to consider the uniqueness of your project. For example, an app like UberEats requires complex algorithms, backend processing, and a tech stack. This will increase the cost of your project. On the other hand, a simple social media app may only need design and coding.

Comment

Working...
                              X