Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get "Z-Wave Switch Multilevel" device to link as a non-light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get "Z-Wave Switch Multilevel" device to link as a non-light?

I have a Z-Wave roller shade, which was imported into HS4 as a Z-Wave Switch Multilevel (dimmable light switch essentially):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (4).png
Views:	276
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1457462
    No matter what I do, GoogleHome sees it as a light switch, which, when I say "lights off", it messes with the roller shade... How in the life of me, do I stop this from happening without having to create a virtual device or some other janky workaround?

you can create a virtual device and link it. Then in google home only use the virtual device, and you can manually pick what device type it is

Comment

Originally posted by dev120v View Post
      you can create a virtual device and link it. Then in google home only use the virtual device, and you can manually pick what device type it is
      And if I want to tell Google to open the shade 50%? That works fine and dandy for a binary on/off open/close, but not so much this device..

Comment

Originally posted by ee21 View Post

And if I want to tell Google to open the shade 50%? That works fine and dandy for a binary on/off open/close, but not so much this device..
        similar situation. just make it a non binary virtual device. values 1-99

it is a silly solution don't get me wrong, but it works.

FYI: my google is totaly broken atm because I resynched google with homeseer and all my events are gone and devices all show root devices. Homeseer has said nothing about the issue and frankly I am pissed about it now. I have a ticket that has zero responses and it has been weeks now. I have reset my stuff, the issue is not my stuff. I am not the only one. U can searched lasted posts

note: I tried this with a fan before and got it working.

Comment

I can confirm the solution with the virtual device is working. For example, I created virual devices gh0000001, gh000002, etc.all with the same voicecommands as devicename. GH never respond to these words which is ok. Then i create a routine in the GH app.
          When i say 'open curtains' or please open curtains, etc the virtual device is set to off. I created a event which checks the status of this virtual device and then it wil actually control the curtain device. The advantage with routines is that you can enter multiple sentences to which the GH respond which is more natural.

Comment

Originally posted by dev120v View Post

similar situation. just make it a non binary virtual device. values 1-99

it is a silly solution don't get me wrong, but it works.

FYI: my google is totaly broken atm because I resynched google with homeseer and all my events are gone and devices all show root devices. Homeseer has said nothing about the issue and frankly I am pissed about it now. I have a ticket that has zero responses and it has been weeks now. I have reset my stuff, the issue is not my stuff. I am not the only one. U can searched lasted posts

note: I tried this with a fan before and got it working.
            I guess I'm not quite sure how to do this, do I set the "device type string" to Z-Wave Switch Multilevel, same as the original Z-Wave device? If something else, would modifying the original Z-Wave device to this value not accomplish the same thing?

As far as the Google bug goes, I noticed the same thing, although it seems to have only affected Aeon Labs Nano or Micro switches. All my lights fans, and door locks all still working fine.. even after resync. Those devices are all children of parents too, same as the Nano switches are, but...

Comment

in the google home app, you can change the device type for a virtual device. you can't for a homeseer physical device. in the device settings in google home app

Comment

Oh I see, I have seen that option before but never played with it really - my question was more specific to the Homeseer virtual device though, wouldn't I have to do something to it, so that it is configured as a multi-level device, instead of binary on/off? When I create a virtual device, there is no option for this, it just adds an on/off like this one below.

Name:	Screenshot (3).png
Views:	254
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1463833

I never was able to get them to work together by setting a "Linked Device" either, I guess because of the difference in device type? I currently have an Event that either turns the Shade all the way off, or all the way on based on the Switch.

This is what I was referring to by the way with the "device type string" I noticed it was blank for the virtual device, and set to "Z-Wave Switch Multilevel" for the Window Shade:

Name:	Screenshot (4).png
Views:	238
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1463834

Comment

you should not need to change the device string from what I remember, you just have to add a 1-99 value on the virtual device. do this in the status/graphics on the virtual device. Add a new range value 1-99, also add a slider for that 1-99
                  you might need a 255 value

you should then be able to use the link features defined on both physical and virtual device so that when one device changes, it changes the other. you need to do it on both devices

if that doesnt work you can create events so when one changes the other changes, just make sure you dont infinite loop

Comment

So that all worked.. I now have a multilevel device in Google Home.. But it sees the Virtual device now, as a dimmable light with no option to modify the device type like it used to.. If I were to link it and add to a room, it would open/close when I try and tell google to work the lights 😤

I configured the status/controls page exactly the same as the actual Window Shade.. I'm playing with it still, but guessing maybe the 1-98 value with a control use set to "dim" is the culprit?

EDIT: Changing Dim to DimFan caused the device to change from a dimmable light, to a fan, in google home. I'd be fine with that, however Google Home only offers either all the way on, or all the way off control with this device type.

Changing same thing to "Volume" changes device type in Google Home back to a binary switch - but with the option to change the device type again! But, haven't found an option that allows me control from 1-100 without setting it as a light.... 😭
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot (8).png Views:	0 Size:	196.7 KB ID:	1463852Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot (7).png Views:	0 Size:	99.5 KB ID:	1463851Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210318-095335_Home.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.0 KB ID:	1463850Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210318-095343_Home.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.3 KB ID:	1463849

Comment

... well crap. sorry dude

I definitely had it working with a fan before, but my wife liked 3 devices for high/medium/low better. instead of asking or setting 33%, 66%, 99%

that is another option, but can be uglier. set multiple virtual devices for each percentage u want. that way you can use a curtain device in google I guess because it will just be on/off

Comment

It seems like a limitation with Google Home at this point, but thank you for trying to help. If you do manage to get a new device working in this manner, I'd love to hear how though

Comment

Working...
                        X