Voice control of MYQ garage doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voice control of MYQ garage doors

Hi. Another issue I am having with GH integration is how my MYQ equipped garage doors are handled. I have voice command checked on all 3 of the garage door devices (I have 3 garage door openers controlled by MYQ). They do sync with the google Home app, and I can place them in the garge just fine, but they are not mapped as doors, but switches. So If I say "Turn on right garage door", that works fine, but if I say "open right garage door", the command fails.

This is a big issue with WAF and the kids. I can't seem to retrain them to say turn on and turn off instead of open and closed.

HS knows they are doors, and the labels on the buttons are open and closed, not on and off. So why is the mapping incorrect in the integration?

Am I missing something in how this is supposed to be set up?

From my understanding, Google Home and Alexa support for "specialty" devices like that is somewhat limited out of the box. I'm not sure if that's on the HS or Google/Alexa side. I've read that sometimes changing the devices "Control Use" in HS can help achieve desired functionality but not sure if that would help here or not.

Since you already have the device controllable in GH, the easiest solution would probably be Routines. Then you could say whatever you want, and have it do something else in the background. However, if you have voice match setup for everyone in the house they may all need to create the routine on their phones.
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

in situations where google devices don't work with the exact words you want, you can create google routines

so create a routine for when you say "open right garage door", "open the right garage door", "open garage door right", (all variations) then have the action of that routine do the same thing as "turn on right garage door"

not saying it isn't an issue, but its a workaround

Comment

Ok, I tried the routines approach and that worked. A little clumsy, but worked ok. Extended types of devices are supported by Google - just look at the open source code here for a hubitat hub: https://github.com/mbudnek/google-ho...itat-community Its not an issue from the Google side I think.

Comment

Working...
        X