Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Routine with Homeseer events not working - Fixed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
    This should be all set now. If it's still an issue, let me know.
    You may need to do a new discovery for your devices and events.
    Be sure that the myHS user you're using for Google Assistant is listed in HomeSeer(Setup/Users).
    Be sure that each event has 'Voice Command' and 'Google Home Discovery' selected in its advanced options.

To see your events after discovery, you can go to the Routines area in the Google Home app.
    Click the plus button to add a new routine.
    Click 'Add Action' on the new routine page.
    Select 'Adjust Home Devices' on the 'Choose what the Routine will do' page.
    There should be an arrow beside the 'Adjust scenes' selection. Clicking that should give you a list of the events that were discovered by Google Home for HomeSeer.
    Hi, Voice enabled events are working again!! I can see all Voice enabled events in my Google Home app. Thanks, problem solved!

Comment

This should be all set now. If it's still an issue, let me know.
      You may need to do a new discovery for your devices and events.
      Be sure that the myHS user you're using for Google Assistant is listed in HomeSeer(Setup/Users).
      Be sure that each event has 'Voice Command' and 'Google Home Discovery' selected in its advanced options.

To see your events after discovery, you can go to the Routines area in the Google Home app.
      Click the plus button to add a new routine.
      Click 'Add Action' on the new routine page.
      Select 'Adjust Home Devices' on the 'Choose what the Routine will do' page.
      There should be an arrow beside the 'Adjust scenes' selection. Clicking that should give you a list of the events that were discovered by Google Home for HomeSeer.
      Thank you! My events are now working again and also my google routines are working as they were before using the command "activate + event voice string". I also verified that all of my events are showing up in the "adjust scenes" selection.

Comment

Have you tried it today after we put in a fix? Are you still seeing this issue?

Originally posted by SteveW View Post

I am using the Google Assistant's standard "Bedtime" routine, which contains a "Adjust lights, plugs and more" action. That action is set to turn off a combination of about 20 Z-Wave and TP-Link Kasa devices and two ADT Pulse-controlled Z-Wave devices. All of these devices can be reliably controlled by individual voice commands like "Hey Google, turn off Kitchen". Running the routine has only worked properly some months ago, and it has been broken ever since. In all cases, it speaks "Sorry, it looks like Homeseer is unavailable right now". Most of the time, it turns off the selected switches anyhow, but sometimes not. It's random. Yes, I have one, and only one Homeseer user account, and it is the account that is linked to Google Assistant.

I believe this bug has had several root causes, including a failure to receive or timely process status messages back from Google. I am running the new, 700-series HomeSeer SmartStick+ G3, and I believe rjh was able to reproduce this failure.

Again: I can control one or two Z-Wave devices at a time via Google Assistant, but any more than that generates that error message.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If you are still seeing this now, tell me what your HS4 version is. There were some recent changes to timeouts. If we do not respond to Google within a few seconds it will treat the call as an error. So in the later versions of HS4 we changed it so it queues all the commands and does not wait. If you are on an older build it would be waiting and with so many commands its probably taking too long.

I am using the Google Assistant's standard "Bedtime" routine, which contains a "Adjust lights, plugs and more" action. That action is set to turn off a combination of about 20 Z-Wave and TP-Link Kasa devices and two ADT Pulse-controlled Z-Wave devices. All of these devices can be reliably controlled by individual voice commands like "Hey Google, turn off Kitchen". Running the routine has only worked properly some months ago, and it has been broken ever since. In all cases, it speaks "Sorry, it looks like Homeseer is unavailable right now". Most of the time, it turns off the selected switches anyhow, but sometimes not. It's random. Yes, I have one, and only one Homeseer user account, and it is the account that is linked to Google Assistant.

I believe this bug has had several root causes, including a failure to receive or timely process status messages back from Google. I am running the new, 700-series HomeSeer SmartStick+ G3, and I believe rjh was able to reproduce this failure.

Again: I can control one or two Z-Wave devices at a time via Google Assistant, but any more than that generates that error message.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
            If you are still seeing this now, tell me what your HS4 version is. There were some recent changes to timeouts. If we do not respond to Google within a few seconds it will treat the call as an error. So in the later versions of HS4 we changed it so it queues all the commands and does not wait. If you are on an older build it would be waiting and with so many commands its probably taking too long.

Thanks for your help! I am running HS4 Standard Edition 4.2.0.0 (Linux) with Mono JIT compiler version 5.18.0.240. I tried it just now, after performing a "reconnect account" on Google Home. It still speaks the "Sorry" message, but it successfully turns off all the selected lights anyhow.

Comment

With the number of devices your trying to send, it might be better if you put them in an event on the homeseer side, then add the event to the routine.

That way only one command is being sent to your system to be processed.

The routine would work the same way as before as far as how you run it so you wouldn't see a difference in implementation, but it shouldn't time out anymore.
              Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

How many devices are you trying to control? I suspect the issue is that it's just taking too long. Google just does not give us much time, they assume they are talking to a cloud service and not an actual controller. But I would expect 4.2 to queue all the commands and return pretty quickly. Can you post a list of devices you are trying to control?

Thanks for your help! I am running HS4 Standard Edition 4.2.0.0 (Linux) with Mono JIT compiler version 5.18.0.240. I tried it just now, after performing a "reconnect account" on Google Home. It still speaks the "Sorry" message, but it successfully turns off all the selected lights anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                  How many devices are you trying to control? I suspect the issue is that it's just taking too long. Google just does not give us much time, they assume they are talking to a cloud service and not an actual controller. But I would expect 4.2 to queue all the commands and return pretty quickly. Can you post a list of devices you are trying to control?

Jasco on/off switches: 5
                  Jasco dimmer: 1
                  HomeSeer dimmers: 14
                  HomeSeer switches: 1

Total = 21

Comment

With the number of devices your trying to send, it might be better if you put them in an event on the homeseer side, then add the event to the routine.

That way only one command is being sent to your system to be processed.

The routine would work the same way as before as far as how you run it so you wouldn't see a difference in implementation, but it shouldn't time out anymore.
                    Good idea. I created a HomeSeer event that turns off all the desired switches and dimmers, then I removed the one-by-one list in the Google Home "Goodnight" routine and replaced it with running the "scene". It works, with no errors! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by wallee View Post
                      Better use 'virtual devices' which are working well. Events are sometimes broken on updates.
                      FYI, I was having an issue with using events in Google Home. When you have another Google Home "household" member with their own Google account in your home (my wife for example), it was not showing Homeseer events under routines/adjust scenes as it did for me. Since you're unable to share routines in Google Home (Google needs to fix this!!) I went to setup a routine just like mine in her app, but the "adjust scenes" option was grayed out. I assume I could have logged her into Homeseer in her app, but when I've done stuff like that in the past all of the devices get duplicated, so I didn't try that route.

I followed wallee's advice above and I just created a dummy on-off device (homeseer calls "virtual device") and selected "Google Home Discovery" which automatically checks "local voice control" (not sure why, but left it) in the device selections so Google Home could discover it. For my application I'm controlling my fireplace with the Bond Home plugin and my fireplace remote doesn't work with flame % or "on/off", it just has "flame higher" and "flame lower" buttons that increment the flame up or down. So I setup a "fireplace on" event to send repeated "flame higher" commands to my fireplace through Bond to turn the fireplace fully on and I set the trigger for that event to be turning "on" that virtual device. I have another event for turning off the fireplace with repeated "flame lower" commands and set the trigger for that event to be the virtual device turning "off".

Then once I "reconnected" my Homeseer account in Google home, the device showed up for me. I then had to add it to my "Home" in Google home and it then showed up for my wife and has worked for her with voice commands with no issues (fingers crossed). Given all of the issues around using events in Google Home, as wallee suggests, maybe using a virtual device to control your events might be a more robust way to go. I think it's what I'm going to do from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by gduren View Post

FYI, I was having an issue with using events in Google Home. When you have another Google Home "household" member with their own Google account in your home (my wife for example), it was not showing Homeseer events under routines/adjust scenes as it did for me. Since you're unable to share routines in Google Home (Google needs to fix this!!) I went to setup a routine just like mine in her app, but the "adjust scenes" option was grayed out. I assume I could have logged her into Homeseer in her app, but when I've done stuff like that in the past all of the devices get duplicated, so I didn't try that route.

I followed wallee's advice above and I just created a dummy on-off device (homeseer calls "virtual device") and selected "Google Home Discovery" which automatically checks "local voice control" (not sure why, but left it) in the device selections so Google Home could discover it. For my application I'm controlling my fireplace with the Bond Home plugin and my fireplace remote doesn't work with flame % or "on/off", it just has "flame higher" and "flame lower" buttons that increment the flame up or down. So I setup a "fireplace on" event to send repeated "flame higher" commands to my fireplace through Bond to turn the fireplace fully on and I set the trigger for that event to be turning "on" that virtual device. I have another event for turning off the fireplace with repeated "flame lower" commands and set the trigger for that event to be the virtual device turning "off".

Then once I "reconnected" my Homeseer account in Google home, the device showed up for me. I then had to add it to my "Home" in Google home and it then showed up for my wife and has worked for her with voice commands with no issues (fingers crossed). Given all of the issues around using events in Google Home, as wallee suggests, maybe using a virtual device to control your events might be a more robust way to go. I think it's what I'm going to do from now on.
                        Had many troubles with starting events. Now I’m having only HS virtual devices which are monitored with HS events and I connect them to Google Home. That’s the robust way and this is working many months without problems. DONT USE light virtual devices. Problem with them is that Google Home wil switch them on/off when you say for example ‘turn on livingroom. It will switch ALL virtual devices on in livingroom and that’s not what you want Not light devices (appliance) never react on ‘room’ commands so better to use this.
                        in The GH app you can create scenes and control any virtual device with any sentence you want. So you don’t have to say for example ‘curtains on/off’ you make a scene with ‘close the curtains’ and control the virtual device.

Walter

Comment

Working...
                        X