X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• logbuilder
    replied
    Rich,

Thanks very much from all of us for that update. It gives me comfort to know you are in control and have a plan with contingencies.

Thanks again!

Robert

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied
    We are working with IFTTT but they appear slow to respond, holiday probably has something to do with it. We did think about disabling all IFTTT access but the issue appears to only affect a few users. I am sure there could be some users who do not realize there is a problem. It seems breaking everyone might not be the best solution at this moment. As for the server, the system is on the original server now and some users still report the issue, so that is not the problem. No other changes were made on our end. We don't have any control over third party services such as Amazon, Google, and IFTTT other than the ability to totally disable it.

If we don't get a resolution from IFTTT by tomorrow and users still report an issue, our current plan is to revoke ALL tokens for IFTTT. This will require all users to re-connect the HS service. IFTTT tells us to revoke tokens on users with an issue, but we don't have enough info to do that.

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
    Rich,

I don't really have a dog in this particular fight since I don't use myhs or IFTTT. However, I would be most interested in how you manage this issue in terms of communicating with the HS users with whom HS has broken its promise to protect any data provided thru myhs. You seem to be leaning towards this being a IFTTT problem. If so, HS must aggressively manage this issue with IFTTT and get it resolved. In terms of security and data privacy, work arounds (ie. relogin, reboot, start/stop) are never an acceptable answer. The root cause must be determined and promptly corrected.

Also, as a old IT veteran, I've learned that when a known system fails for no apparent reason, the first thing to suspect is what last changed. You said you changed the server. Might make sense to investigate enough to positively rule out that possibility. In the past I've always felt really bad when the first suspected cause (IFTTT in this case) turned out not to be the culprit and it was in fact something in my domain.

While not actually being impacted by this particular issue, indirectly I am, since I am firmly committed to HS3. We've experienced security problems before (remote login) with the base product. The response and subsequent communications to those effected was important. It was also lacking, IMHO. All HS users should have a vested interest in how HS reacts to these sorts of severe problems. Lack of clear, transparent, and unspun communications does not usually work out well. Yahoo and Facebook are good textbook examples of how to do it wrong.

Thanks for all you do! I really love the product. Good luck on promptly putting this one to bed.

Robert

Leave a comment:

• thomauto@aol.com
    replied
    On your original account can you simply edit the HS connection which will prompt you to enter your MyHS credentials again. This should generate a new token with IFTTT. I would like to see if that fixes things. This should not delete any existing applets.

Originally posted by rjh View Post
    Ok, still waiting on ifttt.

I created a new IFTTT account with another email address and things look right. I could just switch to the new one but i'm curious about what fixes it. I used to use it for several things but now i am just using IFTTT as a bridge for my wemo devices since i am maxed out on my PI plugins.

Leave a comment:

• logbuilder
    replied
    Rich,

I don't really have a dog in this particular fight since I don't use myhs or IFTTT. However, I would be most interested in how you manage this issue in terms of communicating with the HS users with whom HS has broken its promise to protect any data provided thru myhs. You seem to be leaning towards this being a IFTTT problem. If so, HS must aggressively manage this issue with IFTTT and get it resolved. In terms of security and data privacy, work arounds (ie. relogin, reboot, start/stop) are never an acceptable answer. The root cause must be determined and promptly corrected.

Also, as a old IT veteran, I've learned that when a known system fails for no apparent reason, the first thing to suspect is what last changed. You said you changed the server. Might make sense to investigate enough to positively rule out that possibility. In the past I've always felt really bad when the first suspected cause (IFTTT in this case) turned out not to be the culprit and it was in fact something in my domain.

While not actually being impacted by this particular issue, indirectly I am, since I am firmly committed to HS3. We've experienced security problems before (remote login) with the base product. The response and subsequent communications to those effected was important. It was also lacking, IMHO. All HS users should have a vested interest in how HS reacts to these sorts of severe problems. Lack of clear, transparent, and unspun communications does not usually work out well. Yahoo and Facebook are good textbook examples of how to do it wrong.

Thanks for all you do! I really love the product. Good luck on promptly putting this one to bed.

Robert

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied
    Just click on the "Edit Connection" button. This should reset your token with IFTTT and should not delete any applets. I tried it here and my applets are still there.

Originally posted by ThirdSectorMan View Post
    So I can definitely delete my IFTTT to HS connection, but it warns me that this will delete my applets, all 22 of them. Which is a pain. Maybe I’ll try to do the same things without using a cloud service in future. But it’s so convenient and so tempting...

Leave a comment:

• ThirdSectorMan
    replied
    So I can definitely delete my IFTTT to HS connection, but it warns me that this will delete my applets, all 22 of them. Which is a pain. Maybe I’ll try to do the same things without using a cloud service in future. But it’s so convenient and so tempting...

Leave a comment:

• cgeisler
    replied
    Though my account is now linked correctly and showing my correct userID, I am still getting tons of event failures in the log. In fact I got 22 of these today and there should have only been one HS device change which would have caused an applet to fire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 4.28.16 PM.png
Views:	180
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1271021

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied
    If you are still having an issue, please go into the HomeSeer service after logging into IFTTT, cick on the gear in the upper right corner, then delete the HS connection. Then re-connect and see if all is ok. We have made a change that forces a new token to be generated if you reconnect. We would like to know if that fixes the issue. It looks like IFTTT may have bad copies of tokens, maybe duplicating them. So creating a totally new token may fix it.

Thomauto, can you try and delete your HomeSeer connection then connect again and see if the "connected as" displays your HS login?

Leave a comment:

• yleveill
    replied
    Like if something happened last few minutes, now logged as myself! Pretty strange.... Will let you all know if this is happening again.

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied
    IFTTT got back to me and they are looking into it. They told me that they user should delete their connection to the HS service and connect again. But it sounds like you tried that and it did not help. Can you try to create a new IFTTT account and see if that works ok? I think that will force the OATH connection to generate a totally new token. It will be interesting if that fixes it.

Originally posted by yleveill View Post
    You won't believe it, those devices in french are mine!! Working on figuring out how to connect my homeseer system to a new IFTTT account, (I discovered that I can only see someone else devices) and trying to get help from the forum, I see a screen shot of my own system! Pretty surprising I have to admit...

I deleted my account and recreated a new one, still connected as someone else!

So to answer the question, yes I still experience the issue.

Leave a comment:

• yleveill
    replied
    You won't believe it, those devices in french are mine!! Working on figuring out how to connect my homeseer system to a new IFTTT account, (I discovered that I can only see someone else devices) and trying to get help from the forum, I see a screen shot of my own system! Pretty surprising I have to admit...

I deleted my account and recreated a new one, still connected as someone else!

So to answer the question, yes I still experience the issue.

Leave a comment:

• jonschmon
    replied
    Like ThirdSectorMan, mine started working yesterday and is now again broken. I see the French user's devices and my triggers are not firing.

Are multiple users seeing these French devices I posted in the original screenshot? That would suggest that somehow one user's devices are being shared to many other users.

When I first saw it I assumed this must be a test account of some sort. Maybe the original Homeseer developer was French? But it sounds like this might be a real user's devices.

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied
    Ok, still waiting on ifttt.

Originally posted by thomauto@aol.com View Post

I have had my Homeseer account disconnected from IFTTT for the last couple of days and just tried it again, I still see the wrong user, wrong events and, wrong devices.

Leave a comment:

• thomauto@aol.com
    replied
    Originally posted by rjh View Post
    Is anyone still seeing this issue? I see posts that say its working ok now. From what we can see it looks like it was an IFTTT issue. I am in contact with IFTTT and I gave them details on the issue and am waiting to here back. I do think its a big deal, having access to someone else's home is a really bad thing. I want to see if IFTTT can explain what happened. Since the "connected as" setting for the service showed another user, that implies an IFTTT issue as we don't supply that info, it comes from their system. When I get more info I will post.
    I have had my Homeseer account disconnected from IFTTT for the last couple of days and just tried it again, I still see the wrong user, wrong events and, wrong devices.

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied
    Is anyone still seeing this issue? I see posts that say its working ok now. From what we can see it looks like it was an IFTTT issue. I am in contact with IFTTT and I gave them details on the issue and am waiting to here back. I do think its a big deal, having access to someone else's home is a really bad thing. I want to see if IFTTT can explain what happened. Since the "connected as" setting for the service showed another user, that implies an IFTTT issue as we don't supply that info, it comes from their system. When I get more info I will post.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X