Homeseer initiated triggers not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeff98363 View Post

Very happy to be able to be able to use the script template provided by Skinnez to initiate an action outside of HomeSeer based on conditions met within HomeSeer. However, I can't figure out a way to do the reverse (as originally brought up by barto). In my case I want to turn on a siren controlled by HomeSeer when a Blink camera detects motion. Can anyone explain how this is done (in language a 6th grader could understand) Thanks.
    As Jean Francois pointed out a few posts up, the simple way would be to use the IFTTT homeseer service and the blink camera service. It apparently works reliably without the need for webhooks controlling homeseer from an IFTTT trigger.

Cheers

J

Comment

I sent my blink camera systems back for many reasons. As soon as there was the slightest bad weather they where useless. They also false trigger way to easy. You can’t have individual schedules for each camera (you have to have more base units)

But the main reason was that they don’t use the instant ifttt api when there is motion detection.

They only use an api that is checked “within the hour”

So getting ifttt based alerts for motion detection on blink is pointless. The security event is long over by the time your action is initiated.!

Comment

Originally posted by barto View Post
        I sent my blink camera systems back for many reasons. As soon as there was the slightest bad weather they where useless. They also false trigger way to easy. You can’t have individual schedules for each camera (you have to have more base units)

But the main reason was that they don’t use the instant ifttt api when there is motion detection.

They only use an api that is checked “within the hour”

So getting ifttt based alerts for motion detection on blink is pointless. The security event is long over by the time your action is initiated.!
        In that case, I would put the blink cameras on eBay. I have a nest camera on the drive that works well with Spuds Nest plugin. Only a few second delay triggering an outside light for me.

Cheers

J

Comment

I contacted Amazon after about 3 months and said I wasn't happy. They are not fit for purpose and they took them back and refunded me.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff98363 View Post

Very happy to be able to be able to use the script template provided by Skinnez to initiate an action outside of HomeSeer based on conditions met within HomeSeer. However, I can't figure out a way to do the reverse (as originally brought up by barto). In my case I want to turn on a siren controlled by HomeSeer when a Blink camera detects motion. Can anyone explain how this is done (in language a 6th grader could understand) Thanks.
            Ditch those cameras bud I think. Read the posts.

Cheers

J

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnez View Post

As Jean Francois pointed out a few posts up, the simple way would be to use the IFTTT homeseer service and the blink camera service. It apparently works reliably without the need for webhooks controlling homeseer from an IFTTT trigger.

Cheers

J
              Hey thanks for the input. I did some testing today and pretty happy with results. What was stated by Jean Francois is true for me as well. So far no problem with IFTTT and HomeSeer if going in reverse.

I've got 8 Blink XT (outdoor) cameras although I use a couple indoors. The indoor Blink model does not have night vision which makes them fairly useless for security purposes and the price difference is only about $20. Through various sales I've bought the Blink XTs at an average price around $90 and ended up with 3 Sync Modules. Anyway I don't want this thread to become a Blink critique because generally the moderators don't like it when the primary topic gets put aside but will say my experience with the Blinks is not the same as barto. I'm pretty pleased with them. Are they as good as Nest cameras? Heck no but they are a lot cheaper to buy and no cost at all for a subscription. And nothing touches the battery life of a Blink.

Back to the primary topic: Using IFTTT applet with Blink motion detection as the IF and HomeSeer controlled siren as the THEN, any motion detected by the camera I chose does set off the siren. There is about a 5 second delay. I also tested the BLINK motion detection to turn on some smart plugs and in that case the delay was maybe 3 seconds at most.

So everything works as it should thanks mostly to this forum. I'll start a new topic tonight where I'll lay out my experience with the Blink XTs which has been pretty positive.

Comment

I am having the same problem with IFTTT triggers not working reliably. To be specific, this is the IFTTT trigger based on if a homeseer device is turned on or off.

Homeseer actions (IFTTT->Homeseer) are working perfectly, 100% of the time.

With the triggers, they occasionally work (5% of the time?), but essentially useless. Has there been any suggestions or progress on fixing this?

Somebody mentioned a script to send a webhook to IFTTT as a possible workaround, however I do not see a link to the script (or a post with a sample) - can somebody point me in the correct direction here?

thanks
                /-Tim

Comment

yvrtim

Here are my notes that I use to create the webhooks:

Create a new applet
                  Choose Service Webhooks
                  Enter a Name (Example_Name) - not sure if you need underscores for spaces
                  The pick the IFTT service you would like to run

Then create an event in Homeseer that runs the following URL with the name of the Webhook inserted into the string:

result=hs.GetURL("http://maker.ifttt.com/trigger/Example_Name/with/key/KEYHERE","/",TRUE,80)

To get key go to this page and click on documentation:
                  https://ifttt.com/maker_webhooks

Hopefully that helps.

Comment

simonmason

That is exactly what I needed. I created an event to run an immediate script command with &hs.GetUrl and your string example (with my event name and key) and it works perfectly. Seems to trigger in under 5 seconds on IFTTT.

Thanks!!

Comment

You are welcome. Of course it would be nice if we didn't have to do this and the IFTTT integration just worked!

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
                        You are welcome. Of course it would be nice if we didn't have to do this and the IFTTT integration just worked!
                        Well said. Has anyone from Homeseer commented on this problem?

Comment

I don't think they do bug reports anymore. I think you have to open an official support request to have them log it? I don't think it is guaranteed that they pick up on everything in the forum and log it. For what it is worth I have also had some very erratic behavior with my Caavo control center and IFTTT. So I am not entirely sure where the fault lies here. Similar issues, works sometimes, doesn't work most of the time. I have gone back and forth with their support and they have waffled between not their problem and they are looking into it. Most frustrating is the level of debugging available in IFTTT. It was built as a consumer platform, presumably, and they do not tell you very much at all through the interface.

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
                            I don't think they do bug reports anymore. I think you have to open an official support request to have them log it? I don't think it is guaranteed that they pick up on everything in the forum and log it. For what it is worth I have also had some very erratic behavior with my Caavo control center and IFTTT. So I am not entirely sure where the fault lies here. Similar issues, works sometimes, doesn't work most of the time. I have gone back and forth with their support and they have waffled between not their problem and they are looking into it. Most frustrating is the level of debugging available in IFTTT. It was built as a consumer platform, presumably, and they do not tell you very much at all through the interface.
                            I've been dealing with Matt Cage in customer support on several IFTTT issues. He was able to confirm he too is having trouble getting HS triggers to trigger IFTTT applets so hopefully it is now on their radar.

Comment

Everyone should put in a help desk ticket if you are having issues so the gravity of this issue is raised via support.
                              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

This is what I am getting this morning when I edit the settings on my homeseer devices in IFTTT. However, I think that the existing triggers are working - haven't fully checked this but seems ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X