Accessing MyHS through NAT firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessing MyHS through NAT firewall

I want to use MyHS to simplify user access to a remote system. It is behind a 3G dongle and I use a reverse SSH tunnel to access the HS web page via a local server with a DDNS address. No luck getting MyHS to work so far, but there could be many reasons for this - I don’t know if I am supposed to register the MyHS premium service that I have just bought, and I’m not sure if I’m entering the right passwords... but so far I’m not getting an error message, just a revolving ‘wait’ arrow - so could it be that I need to open a port on my router?

I should add that I already have MyHS set up for my primary system, and it is working fine.

Have you added the 2nd system license to MyHS?

myhs.homeseer.com > Manage Account > Add License

After doing so you should be able to select from both (all) systems after logging into MyHS.
    -Wade

Comment

Ah, right. I haven’t had a license code sent yet. Although when I log in to myhs.homeseer.com there is what looks like a license no. there with (offline) after it. Would that be it?

Comment

Yes, that should be it. So, back to your original question about the access issue...unfortunately I'm no help other than to say access via MyHS precludes the need to expose a port on your router so that shouldn't be it.
        -Wade

Comment

Right, myhs.homeseer.com recognises my remote system, and I can access the web page using the ‘access system’ button. But still no luck setting up MyHS on my phone. Presumably the fact I can use ‘access system’ means it isn’t a port/router thing? Which means it might be username and password. I’ve got so many different passwords associated with different aspects of HS3 and the Pi it runs on I’m not sure which one MyHS wants. Please can anyone help (again)?

Comment

I’ve now set up a new user and password with access to the remote system. Still no access. Thinking about it again, perhaps it is a router/port thing... as I am working with a reverse SSH tunnel is it possible I need to open 10200 from the remote end before requests will pass to it from the server? And the reason ‘access system’ works is because that is using port 80, which is already open? (Sorry if this is stupid or obvious, I’m working at the extremes of my knowldge here!)

Comment

Have you tried disabling your tunnel?

Comment

It looks like MyHS can’t access the system without the remote tunnel and port forwarding in place (I expected that, to be fair) so I have put logins and passwords in place and hope that will be secure enough.

Comment

I have a Unifi Secure Gateway with no tunnels, VPNs or ports forwarded and I have no problem accessing the systems using MyHS from my phone when not at home.
                  HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
                  Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
                  Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by mberger View Post
                    It looks like MyHS can’t access the system without the remote tunnel and port forwarding in place (I expected that, to be fair)...
                    This is not correct. MyHS provides a secure method of connecting explicitly without these. Link.

edit: Let me clarify by saying this is the intent of MyHS. Of course your specific configuration could be preventing it working as intended.
                    -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

This is not correct. MyHS provides a secure method of connecting explicitly without these. Link.

edit: Let me clarify by saying this is the intent of MyHS. Of course your specific configuration could be preventing it working as intended.
                      You may well be right, but my (low level) understanding and experience so far is that most incoming ports are blocked on the 3G dongle, so although the installation can contact the MyHS server, communication in the opposite direction is difficult without a helping hand from the reverse tunnel and my own server.

Comment

Originally posted by mberger View Post

You may well be right, but my (low level) understanding and experience so far is that most incoming ports are blocked on the 3G dongle, so although the installation can contact the MyHS server, communication in the opposite direction is difficult without a helping hand from the reverse tunnel and my own server.
                        Understand.
                        -Wade

Comment

Working...
                        X