Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much bandwidth does MyHS use?

Yet another setup question, sorry!

I finally got MyHS working yesterday on my remote (behind a 3G dongle) system. Today it wouldn’t connect. I was surprised to find this was because my monthly allowance had run out. Looking at my ISP log 60MB was used yesterday. Admittedly I was setting up the system and accessed it a dozen or so times, but is this a standard kind of data usage rate?

I think it's a server problem, I'm not getting access today either.

Comment

Originally posted by nunoary View Post
      The MyHS Server is up and running right now, just logged in to test it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
      Plugin's:
      BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
      EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
      weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

I just reset the DPI counters for my hub in my Unifi gateway. I'll update later with how much data it's doing both up and down. Remember that any clouds you connect to will also be using data, like polling and EcoBee every 5 minutes.
        HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
        Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
        Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by nunoary View Post
          My access speed has varied between slow and non-existent all day. I’m hoping it is a server issue.

In fact now I can’t connect via myhs.homseer.com at all (the system is shown as offline) whereas if I use my own reverse tunnel I can connect and the log says it is connected to MyHS! This is starting to drive me a little beserk...

Comment

My understanding is that no port forwarding is required since our HS server is opening up a connection to myhs.homeseer.com. Since this is the case , myhs.homeseer.com responds to the application on port number assigned by the requestor (our server). Now I don't understand why you are using a reverse tunnel...?
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Apologies, I’m now covering similar ground on two threads as I have two interlinked problems!

My understanding is that the 3G dongle stops the incoming connection from the HS server, either by port blocking or a NAT firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by drparker151 View Post
                I just reset the DPI counters for my hub in my Unifi gateway. I'll update later with how much data it's doing both up and down. Remember that any clouds you connect to will also be using data, like polling and EcoBee every 5 minutes.
                After 3 hours this the data on my Hs3 hub. running EcoBee, Hue, Lutron Caseta, Alexa, PHlocation2, WeatherXML. with no inbound access.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HS3-DPI.png Views:	1 Size:	35.1 KB ID:	1282800

And this is after then using my phone via cellular connection to access the system and go into Device Manager, Event manager and manage plugin pages. From MyHS access system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hs3-DPI2.png Views:	1 Size:	35.2 KB ID:	1282801
                HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
                Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML

Comment

Wow. Thanks Dr P, it looks like it could eat 100MB a day easily. As I’m on a 500MB/month package, that makes MyHS a non-starter. I’ve switched it off, I’ll rely on my reverse tunnel. I’ve password protected it now for a little extra security.

What I don’t understand - how come my tunnel arrangement uses around one-tenth as much data?

Comment

My setup is is getting an update from the Ecobee cloud every 5 minutes. Downloading NOAA alerts every 15 minutes. Pulling a 7 day forecast every 2 hours and current conditions every hour. EgiGeoZone on my cell is sending location data every 5 minutes. I also have HStouch and Imperialhome active but did not load or access those apps on my cell during the test period.

All of those have nothing to do with myhs. The difference between the two screen is representative of the data going through myhs when the system is being accessed remotely. If you are using any of the dashboard apps, HStouch, the new mobile app, Imperial home. Then status data on events, devices and logs will updating.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Support have come back to me saying the 60MB usage I saw yesterday seems about right.

Comment

Originally posted by drparker151 View Post
                        My setup is is getting an update from the Ecobee cloud every 5 minutes. Downloading NOAA alerts every 15 minutes. Pulling a 7 day forecast every 2 hours and current conditions every hour. EgiGeoZone on my cell is sending location data every 5 minutes. I also have HStouch and Imperialhome active but did not load or access those apps on my cell during the test period.
                        Here is usage after 24hrs

Click image for larger version

Name:	HS3-DPI-24hrs.png
Views:	167
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1283023

Comment

Working...
                        X