Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I remotely test node-red is running, and if not restart it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I remotely test node-red is running, and if not restart it ?

I run HS4 on a dedicated PC, which also runs Node-red. I am just starting with Node-red, so have nothing critical running on it yet, but the more I rely on it the more important it is that it is running all the time. Today coming home I noticed Node-red was not running, it must have crashed as HS4 was still running normally (and I get a notification if it reboots, and node-red runs as a service so starts with the PC).
    So, the question is, how can I set up a event which checks automatically if Node red is running, and if it isnt, is there a way to restart node-red without having to open power shell on the pc to start it manually. If I am at home and it happend I can open teamviewer to access the PC and start node-red, but if I am not or if it happens at night that is not really an option

Install Docker and keep Node-RED out of the Windows PC. I have already mentioned it here : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-4#post1419277

You also don't have to use the MQTTbundled with mscMQTT. Things should just work! Just point mscMQTT to where the MQTT server is.

Tip : You may find a solution here : https://www.google.com/search?client...ing+in+Windows

Eman
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

You'll get a websocket error in your log when HS can't send an update to node red. I recently set up Jon00's HS4 log monitor. When it matches the log error I have it trigger an event that sends me a push notification so I can reboot node red. That gets you half way there.

As for automating a reboot/restart of node red. I've seen mention of ways to run external programs from HS; just never done it before outside of running a bat from startup script. Maybe set up a bat or powershell to start Node Red when your event gets triggered. I know there are also ways, outside of HS, to monitor a program and restart it if it dies. Task scheduler may have that function.
      HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
      Number of Devices: 1005
      Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

You can run node red as service under Windows, method here:

https://gist.github.com/dceejay/576b4847f0a17dc066db

Then you can then set the recovery options just like any other windows service, an example here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	284
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1419770

Hope this helps,

-TC1

Comment

I got a chuckle reading the documentation like you provided. NSSM - the Non-Sucking Service Manager

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Then you can then set the recovery options just like any other windows service, an example here:

Hope this helps,

-TC1
            I do run node red as a service, I did not know you can set these recovery options. Just have to have a look where I can set this but I should be able to find it. That should help, together with an alert as jmaddox suggested when I get a websocket error in the log.

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post

I do run node red as a service, I did not know you can set these recovery options. Just have to have a look where I can set this but I should be able to find it. That should help, together with an alert as jmaddox suggested when I get a websocket error in the log.
              In windows you want to run Services.msc
              Then find the service you are running and check the properties for it.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Hope this helps,

-TC1
                I had a look, I found my monocle service (nothing to do with node red but wanted to also enable restart if it fails) but cannot find the node red service. I know I have node red running as a service, but its not in the list of services. What would it be called ?

Comment

Are you using another utility to launch NR as a service? i'm only asking because I don't have NR running. If using another utility then look for that as the service name.

Comment

Working...
                  X