Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RedNode Only Updating on State Change

Hello,

I've made an ESP8266-based IR transmitter/signal translator that I'm working on getting working with Homeseer/RedNode/Google Home.

I've gotten it talking and I'm able to tell Google Home to turn the projector on or off with a virtual device, and it works. However, it will only work when toggling to the opposite state that Homeseer has the virtual device set at. For example, if I turn on the projector using Homeseer (via Google Home), the projector will turn on as does the state of the virtual device. If I were to turn the projector off with the remote, the virtual device state is still "On," so the next time I try to turn it on using Homeseer, Rednode does not get a state change, so the command does make it to the device.

Is there a way to set up a device in Homeseer so that, regardless of its state, it will send a message to RedNode? If this is a limitation on the RedNode side, is there anything that can be done to overcome this? Something like making Homeseer default to a value of "50" every 1 or 5 seconds (with "on" being 100, and "off" being 0).

Note: I am using this plugin for the Homeseer<->RedNode communication: https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-...ntrib-homeseer

Thank you

EDIT: Just thought of a workaround... I can have the message branch off to a second instance of the virtual device to set it to a value of 50. That'd work, but curious if anyone knows of a cleaner way of doing this.

Could you have your custom transmitter also receive IR signals and send message back to HomeSeer when you use the hand held remote to control the projector? Or is there any other way to keep the HomeSeer device in sync with the projector? Maybe by monitoring power draw of the projector?
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I have a similar use case. I created a virtual device with three states. After sending the on/off state (say like 15 seconds) it sets the state back to the third state which node-red ignores. This way, it will always send a state change.

Comment

Because your remote control is not network based there is no way for the system to know what it sends out unless the codes are sent to HomeSeer then HomeSeer sends them out.

If you have an AVR (Amplifier) and one with a HomeSeer plug-in then you would control the projector using HDMI-cec and would be very simple to set up. Everything is set to power off when the Amp goes off.
        But if you are adventurous then try the Global Cache : https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-...ib-globalcache

And the most comprehensive way is to build an all in one remote control using Home Remote but that too you will need Global Cache.

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Thank you, all. I had some time to re-visit this this weekend, and ended up setting it up like Eki mentioned, with three states (thanks, Eki!). I just have a Change node set to switch it to the middle state immediately (note that the "switch" node only passes values of 0 and 100, so the "50" values looped back to the Projector and Soundbar nodes do not get forwarded):

​​Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-11 121039.png Views:	0 Size:	158.9 KB ID:	1447113

This works perfectly for my use.

Originally posted by ksum View Post
          Could you have your custom transmitter also receive IR signals and send message back to HomeSeer when you use the hand held remote to control the projector? Or is there any other way to keep the HomeSeer device in sync with the projector? Maybe by monitoring power draw of the projector?
          Yes, I do have it set up to send received IR signals, as well (eventually I'd like to be able to push a button on the control and have it turn on/off the lights as well). I am actually in the process of setting up a CT sensor so that it will automatically disable the living room motion sensors when the projector is powered on, so I can look at that once that is set up to change the "Projector" device status as well.

Originally posted by Eman View Post
          Because your remote control is not network based there is no way for the system to know what it sends out unless the codes are sent to HomeSeer then HomeSeer sends them out.

If you have an AVR (Amplifier) and one with a HomeSeer plug-in then you would control the projector using HDMI-cec and would be very simple to set up. Everything is set to power off when the Amp goes off.
          But if you are adventurous then try the Global Cache : https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-...ib-globalcache

And the most comprehensive way is to build an all in one remote control using Home Remote but that too you will need Global Cache.

Eman.
          The issue in question here was more of how to have Homeseer pass commands when the state is not changed. For example, if a light shows as "off" in Homeseer, but I've manually flipped the switch on the wall off-then-on, the light will actually be on (in the case of Hue lights). With the way Homeseer communicates with RedNode, I must tell Homeseer to turn the light on, then turn the light off (since it cannot re-send an "off" if the state is already "off," since that is not a change in state). If it were able to send a duplicate current-state message, then it would be able send a command to turn the light off, even though it thinks the light is off.

I'm not sure how well I worded that... Regardless, the "third state" with the loopback to switch it to the middle state achieves what I am after.

Comment

So your custom transmitter sends out a signal which can be read by Homeseer? How is this happening? It shouldn't take long to set up your HomeSeer devices for the Projector and Soundbar so they are in sync with the projector if this is the case. Then you wouldn't need any loop back, etc.
            Karl S
            HS4Pro on Windows 10
            1070 Devices
            56 Z-Wave Nodes
            104 Events

Comment

So your custom transmitter sends out a signal which can be read by Homeseer? How is this happening? It shouldn't take long to set up your HomeSeer devices for the Projector and Soundbar so they are in sync with the projector if this is the case. Then you wouldn't need any loop back, etc.
              True, If I can add to that the HomeSeer nodes act as switches themselves. So you can tap into them and feed into other nodes.

Here at post #20 https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...43#post1433643

Eman
              TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

It can, through RedNode + MQTT. I have it set to output codes it receives to a debug node right now, but it would just be a matter of piping those messages (and modifying the contents of those) to a Homeseer node.

That idea crossed my mind, but that wouldn't be quite as robust as the third state (or real-time state checking by measuring with a CT Sensor). If, for any reason, it doesn't read the code properly from a handheld remote while the projector does, then I'll be in a place where Homeseer thinks it's on when it actually is not, and would then get toggled the opposite way whenever turning it on and off until I manually turn the projector off with the power button.

Comment

If it were me I would have 1 IR receiver which then sends the code to the projector and also to MQTT. From there I would either use mcsMQTT or Node Red to set the Projector's state in HomeSeer. Unless you have issues with the unit which sends the MQTT topic, everything should be fine. Another option would be to have the remote and receiver send signals via MQTT to HomeSeer and have HomeSeer send the IR signal to the physical Projector. an IR squid on the Projector, controlled by HomeSeer should be able to handle this. You would want to block the handheld's IR from reaching the projector, but that should be fairly simple. The basics here are that you seem to have everything you need to make the physical projector and associated HomeSeer device in sync. The hurdle seems to be a concern that it doesn't work. How better to monitor that than to put it in place and see how it goes?
                  Karl S
                  HS4Pro on Windows 10
                  1070 Devices
                  56 Z-Wave Nodes
                  104 Events

Comment

If it were me I would have 1 IR receiver which then sends the code to the projector and also to MQTT. From there I would either use mcsMQTT or Node Red to set the Projector's state in HomeSeer. Unless you have issues with the unit which sends the MQTT topic, everything should be fine. Another option would be to have the remote and receiver send signals via MQTT to HomeSeer and have HomeSeer send the IR signal to the physical Projector. an IR squid on the Projector, controlled by HomeSeer should be able to handle this. You would want to block the handheld's IR from reaching the projector, but that should be fairly simple. The basics here are that you seem to have everything you need to make the physical projector and associated HomeSeer device in sync. The hurdle seems to be a concern that it doesn't work. How better to monitor that than to put it in place and see how it goes?
                    My concern is how finicky IR reception is - if either the projector or my IR receiver/transmitter misses it, then they will be out of sync. I cannot expect two devices behind me to consistently see a reflection off a wall (whether that be from the angle I am pointing the remote, occlusion of only one of the sensors when someone walks by, etc).

However, I've resolved any potential issues like that at this point. I spent the event getting the CT sensor set up on it (senses the amount of current flowing through the power cable of the projector to detect whether it's on or off), and I've got it working to set a "State" feature of the virtual device in Homeseer. All's working well! I have it now set up so that I can turn the projector on or off with voice commands or IR remote, and when power is sensed it will turn off the lights in the room and disable the motion sensors (and reverse this when it is turned back on).

Thank you again for your thoughts on this.

Comment

Originally posted by NateR View Post
                      I cannot expect two devices behind me to consistently see a reflection off a wall (whether that be from the angle I am pointing the remote, occlusion of only one of the sensors when someone walks by, etc).
                      Have you considered an IR Repeater? This would put a receiver in front of you and it then sends the signal directly to the receiving point of each piece of equipment. This means no list signals. No need to bounce the signal off walls. All my equipment is in a remote cabinet using one similar to the one linked. I have never had a signal loss issue except when one of the repeaters was knocked off the receiver. I do not use any of the "blaster" outputs, but have a couple of the small, sick on squids, some of which have a few hanging off a single plug. Note that I only linked the first one I found in a search.

The CT sensors are great and I am not saying to replace them. Just offering a solution to your other problem, lost signals.
                      Karl S
                      HS4Pro on Windows 10
                      1070 Devices
                      56 Z-Wave Nodes
                      104 Events

Comment

Soooo .... you might get rid of the IR remote, and use a tablet or phone to control everything. It would send the codes to an IR transmitter which would have LED emitters attached to the various IR receivers. In the old-days ... that is how we allowed Crestron to control a rack of equipment.

Another idea is to use something like Logitech Harmony, where the harmony remote control is RF based, but the units being controlled are IR from the harmony base.

I didn't even know a Harmony plugin existed until now, but there is a harmony plugin for homeseer. So, Just do everything from a tablet running node-red. Send the commands to HS ... which in turn will send the commands to harmony which in turn uses emitters attached to IR receives. The harmony plugin should be able to send events back to HS if you want to use the harmony remote ... so I don't think that will ever get out of sync. This would also work for using Alexa.

hmmm ... I think I found a new project for my projector now.

Comment

Working...
                        X