IFTTT to trigger Node Red flows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IFTTT to trigger Node Red flows?

I am able to monitor a HS4 Device to trigger a flow but is it possible to monitor an HS4 Event to trigger a flow as well?

Reason I ask is that I want to use IFTTT's services to trigger NR flows but the IFTTT's Homeseer Service does not list my HS devices (been broken for me over a year). I can list and choose any of my HS events just fine. Rather than creating both events and devices I would like to save a step.

I am also open to suggestions on receiving web hook triggers direct to Node Red to cut out HS without making my Node Red public.

Thanks for any help.

For events, the only option is to run the event and get a response. I know you said it was an extra step, but why not run the event and set the value of a virtual device that is monitored by NR? I have a device like this and I set it to different values so the flow can examine it and react accordingly.

Edit: Sorry, I know next to nothing about web hooks.
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

HomeSeer events are triggered in ways which could be duplicated via Node-Red. Why not just use a Node-Red flow to do all that you need? Do everything in a flow as opposed to some in an event and some in a flow.
      Karl S
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      1070 Devices
      56 Z-Wave Nodes
      104 Events
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
      Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
        HomeSeer events are triggered in ways which could be duplicated via Node-Red. Why not just use a Node-Red flow to do all that you need? Do everything in a flow as opposed to some in an event and some in a flow.
        For me, I use NR to do things that can't (easily) be done in HS. The main reason I try to keep as much as possible in HS events is to keep them searchable. I'm sure just about every event can be reproduced in NR, just not my preference.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

thanks for the responses. It sounds like it is easier to have IFTTT trigger the events for the services I want to use and create VD's for each event.

Comment

Care to explain what it is you are trying to accomplish?
            Karl S
            HS4Pro on Windows 10
            1070 Devices
            56 Z-Wave Nodes
            104 Events

Comment

My first goal is to monitor Twitter feeds. IFTTT’s Twitter service allows you to write and trigger an ‘IF’ applet when a specific Twitter user has instantly posted or to perform a Twitter query. The ‘Then’ action uses a Homeseer socket connection to either trigger one of your HS devices or an event. Device list has been broken but I am able to generate my HS event list and trigger an event.

it works quick. As a sample test I monitor DailyMailUK feed (they post every 20-30 mins) and almost immediately when their tweet is sent I receive the HS event. I currently have my HS event trigger a HS device on and use that to start my Node Red flow.

I was hoping to avoid creating a virtual device for each event that I need to create for each feed that I watch but it’s not that bad.

My end goal is to watch multiple Twitter feeds for a small personal resale business. I am writing the Twitter feed via Node Red to a HS device and scraping that device with regex for certain keywords and sending pushover and audio announcements based on the keywords.

There is probably a better and faster way but it’s educational for me along the way.

I appreciate the continued support in this forum.

Will

Comment

Have you looked at this Node-Red Twitter contrib? It could be helpful.

Pushover? As in this contrib? I do not have a smartwatch to test with but could work with you on something.

I take it the audio portion is working via Node-Red as per your previous thread?

I would do this completely via Node-Red. I'll be at a computer tomorrow and able to look into this further.
                Karl S
                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                1070 Devices
                56 Z-Wave Nodes
                104 Events

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
                  Have you looked at this Node-Red Twitter contrib? It could be helpful.

Pushover? As in this contrib? I do not have a smartwatch to test with but could work with you on something.

I take it the audio portion is working via Node-Red as per your previous thread?

I would do this completely via Node-Red. I'll be at a computer tomorrow and able to look into this further.
                  Thanks for the Twitter and Pushover contribs.

I tried the Twitter contrib before but they wouldn't work as they changed their policies for the API. The former free tier I have is now for limited write-only use cases. I would need a basic tier and at $100/month was cost prohibitive what I want to use it for (now anyway).

I use an open source alternative Twitter front end to GET the posts but I need to manually trigger the GET using NR's HTTP Request which works great. The best solution I found was the IFTTT - Twitter Service notification. I am not sure how they monitor Twitter but it works.

And yes, the audio portion and you helped me with populating the HS4 device with the Twitter feed. Both work perfectly. For now I have an inject node triggering the flow every 5 minutes. I rather not hit the front end any earlier than that and risk getting banned.

I will try the Pushover notification contrib next as I am trying to keep this project to Node Red only and try not to depend on Homeseer if I don't need too. Work in progress....

Thank again!

Comment

There is another Twiter contrib for Node-RED which is not available via the installer and may get you what you need. I do not think you need the paid version of the API. This Stream Tweets in real-time article from the developer.twitter.com site doesn't mention the need. It also links to a node.js stream sample which might prove helpful.

If you do decide to use an Inject, you could limit it to hours you wish to receive notifications. Meaning not get them when you are sleeping, or even have a Hold device to keep them at bay while out on that anniversary date. Frankly, this may be a good idea regardless of how you set it up.

There is also a Pushover plugin for HomeSeer if you wanted to go that route. I have no knowledge but saw a thread on it while looking at unread threads earlier today.
                    Karl S
                    HS4Pro on Windows 10
                    1070 Devices
                    56 Z-Wave Nodes
                    104 Events

Comment

Thanks Karl!

I am digging into this other Twitter contrib now.

Comment

I give up on this twitter node. I have tried multiple ways. I still get errors from Twitter stating I do not have the correct tier and I get node reference errors in my node-red log once I set up any queries in the Twitter In Node. Node Red server then crashes and won't let me run it unless I manually remove the twitter node module.

I have retried this three times and no go.

This contrib is from Oct 2022 and from what I have read on the web in the past few months Twitter's API has changed a lot. I can only assume at this point is that there are changes that need to be made to the node code. Well above my capabilities. I am down a few other rabbit holes at the same time

I really do appreciate your time and suggestions to try on this. Great support in this group. I will keep searching the web for code that was written in the past month or two.

Comment

The video for the last Twitter contrib shows some manual update process after installing. It also shows how to use the node.

I have heard the approval for some of the access takes a couple days to a couple weeks. I have the first mentioned contrib installed and will check back with it on occasion to see if I get access. I just checked and do not yet. There are multiple authentications available and the contrib uses a mixture. What we are looking for is a V1 method and requires rights.
                          Karl S
                          HS4Pro on Windows 10
                          1070 Devices
                          56 Z-Wave Nodes
                          104 Events

Comment

That would be great that you trying this along side me, thanks. Yes that Youtube video was perfect. I followed it to the tee, twice in fact as I thought I did something wrong the first time so I removed the node and started over.

I do believe the node's credentials has something to do with not acknowledging my developer account. I do not see anyway of confirming if it was ever approved but I applied for it over a month ago and started messing around with it then.

I was able to create a project, generate an app, tokens and secret keys so I just assumed it was approved. I do not recall seeing any email anytime after after I applied from Twitter on this and I don't see a way of currently checking status in my account.

Regarding the contrib poster's modified version I copied over as instructed in his video, I do see a difference in the Twitter Node credentials from his video to his final revised copy of files from his github. The Twitter credentials in his revised copy are now looking for the following:

Consumer Token
                            Consumer Token Secret Key
                            Authentication Token
                            Authentication Token Secret Key
                            Bearer Token

I regenerated my existing token and keys in my dev account and I filled in all five tokens/keys but still a no go.

Are you able to see a restriction in your dev account that indicates you are not yet approved? This may be my issue the whole time and perhaps I was never approved.

Comment

After I read this it seems the dev accounts are approved pretty quick?

Also if I read this correctly I am approved in order to access the page.

HTML Code:
                              https://developer.twitter.com/en/support/twitter-api/developer-account1

Comment

Working...
                              X