Best practise for temporary (xmas) modules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best practise for temporary (xmas) modules

I have 3 on/off modues which I only use over xmas. Now I have taken down the tree and all the decorstions, and the modules arent needed until next year. What is best to do, just take them out of the socket, or exlude the compketely from the system ? Ideally I would mlike to just unplug them, and put them away until next year. I have disabled all the events which they are in. The main problem is obviously the routing table.
    Any suggestions ?

I think if a module is removed the rest don't miss it but readjust and fill the gup. But if it's z-wave you are on about consider using some of these:https://www.google.com/search?q=z-wa...IBygC&dpr=1.88

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

I have over 100 zwave devices in my house, and have tried 2 different ways over the years with 'Christmas' devices.

1. Leave them in place, this worked fine for me, other than having an additional plug in the wall.

2. Take them out of the outlets, label them, and put them in a box, in my studio.
      I then change the room and floor location in HS3.

Both of these worked well, and I had no routing issues with zwave on the 2nd.

Comment

Take a look at this thread too where zwave guru Tink gave a tip. Have not tried it myself as I've only used x10 modules for this purpose before, but I did use one zwave module this year.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Here too went back to X10 after trying Insteon, Z-Wave and UPB for Christmas lighting.

Typically use one house code and the old wireless palm pad to test outside and inside lighting. (using the W800 with the antenna in the attic).

One of my last looking at automation endeavors was going with (a proposed DIY) wireless LED window candles remote controlled by Homeseer. I did also try LED's for the candles but due to WAF went back to incandescent lighting. Same with outside stuff going back here to incandescent C-9 bulbs.

I pack the X10 indoor and outdoor modules with the Christmas decorations lighting stuff.

You could just create new autonomous Z-Wave network, (call it the Christmas Z-Wave network and controller) with a controller and put it all away after the holidays.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

If I still had X10 modules it would be easy. But i got rid of X10 and never want to have it... a lot of bad experiences and my rfxtrx is already busy with all sorts of protocols. I am using zwave greenwave modules with power metering. Keeps track of the cost of ghe xmas lighting too. Not that that really matters... so thats where the question arises of what to do. I think I'll try just unplugging them until next year. If that doesnt give me too many errors that would be easiest. Then i would only need to plug them back in and activate the events again.

Comment

What?

You never purchased the "flux capacitor" for your X10 (DeLorean - XTB)?

You could then let me control your Christmas X10 from the other side of the pond here in Chicago via powerline for a small monthly stipend.

Just kidding ....
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                Then i would only need to plug them back in and activate the events again.
                You might consider adding date conditions to your xmas events and leaving them active year round. One less thing to remember next year.

Comment

I highly recommend these: https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html

You can use these as is or reflash them using ESP Easy.
                  https://tzapu.com/sonoff-firmware-boilerplate-tutorial/

Here is a thread on making them work with HS3: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...88#post1267288

I have one stashed in an non-metallic junction box I am trying out for my den light switch.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                    I highly recommend these: https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html

You can use these as is or reflash them using ESP Easy.
                    https://tzapu.com/sonoff-firmware-boilerplate-tutorial/

Here is a thread on making them work with HS3: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...88#post1267288

I have one stashed in an non-metallic junction box I am trying out for my den light switch.
                    Hi Bill, I have looked at those before. How's the build quality and do they have any UL and CSA or ULc listings?

Thanks
                    Al

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                      Hi Bill, I have looked at those before. How's the build quality and do they have any UL and CSA or ULc listings?

Thanks
                      Al
                      No ratings but on a solid abs (flame retardant) case with strain reliefs. I am not concerned. The circuit board seems solid and laid out well.
                      Attached Files

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                        No ratings but on a solid abs (flame retardant) case with strain reliefs. I am not concerned. The circuit board seems solid and laid out well.
                        Thanks Bill!

Comment

Working...
                        X