Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Home Build - Planning Security

Greetings.

As posted in General, my wife and I are building a new home in Colorado. We have some young children and though we are in a semi-private HOA community we still want a good security setup for both "security" and "awareness". We had a home in the woods of NH before and had a number of surprises when someone would just show up on our deck for a delivery or a visit and we didn't like being surprised.

We are currently planning on getting a DSC PowerSeries panel. We have not decided on specific one yet. We will be talking to DSC of course but I wanted to start here for information on HS compatibility and control.

First, if we have the HS SEL-Pro box, how does HS directly communicate with DSC? Will it be over our home network or do they need to be located close enough to each other for a direct cable connection (using one of the few ports on the SEL box)?

I have seen EnvisaLink discussed with regard to interfacing DSC but I'm not too familiar with how that may or may not fit in.

Also, do you typically still install the DSC control by your main door (for any times that HS is not available for example) but use HS for direct control of all security functions most of the time?

We will likely have two main HSTouch panels in the home. HSTouch on our Android phones will be secondary use only.

We are looking at having some of the following as initial security setup:
    • Driveway monitor
    • Lock on our "courtyard" (small enclosed area leading to front door) gate that we would like remote and local control of and also have a camera monitor (maybe too far for zWave but I can run power & network).
    • zWave locks on 3-4 external doors
    • Motion sensor and wired IP cam near each of those three doors
    • Monitoring and control for two garage doors
    • Montion sensor and IP cam for garage
    • Motion sensor and IP cam for basement
    • Window open/close sensors for 10-12 windows intiailly
    • Montion sensors for a few more interior zones
    • Glass break sensors ( probably 2-4 )
    • Multiple smoke/heat/co2 detectors

I would like to be able to use HS to have various levels of secuirty. For example, when we are home we still want perimiter monitoring and alerting but don't care about internal. If the kids are outside playing then I want driveway alerting but not external doors or motion. At night we want all external alerts but internal motion only in certain areas we don't expect movement. If we're away everything is on alert.

If anything does alert we will have in-house and text alerts sent based on what it was and how important it may be.

We would like to be able to view the security cameras on the HSTouch centers or onto a TV we're viewing (we'll be using Kodi on dedicated home-theater PCs) if something alerts.

It would be great if we could have one or two photos taken from a security camera and sent as part of the alert if someone comes to the gate or external door or sets off the driveway sensor.

After initial setup I don't want to have to work directly with the DSC panel unless something changes or needs to be updated. I would like to be able to use HS ( SEL-Pro ) handle all of the various armed/disarmed states and alerting.

So...am I missing anything important here or making any stupid assumptions?

As always, thanks in advance for any feedback and suggestions.

-Lawrence

Install two driveway sensors so you can tell which direction cars are moving in. Otherwise everything you mention is stuff that people here are doing all the time. There are two DSC plugins. You need to connect to the DSC panel either by serial rs232 or ethernet. I'm personally using the Envisalink module so I can connect to my panel by IP. I always recommend IP devices these days as you simply plug them into your switch and then HS can see it. Simple.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

DSC panels can be interfaced to in two ways. The IT100 serial interface (so you would need a USB to serial adapter, or a device server that converts it to Ethernet), or the Envisalink using Ethernet. For the IT100, both the HST plugin and the BLDSC plugin are available. For the Envisalink, spud has a plugin, although I think BLDSC now supports it too. I would go with the PC1864 panel as it's the most expandable and only costs a bit more.

Typically you would have a keypad by your normal entrances and some people also have one in the master bedroom.

You can program the panel using a keypad, or using the DLS software connected to a different serial port on the panel. You need to buy or build a PC-Link cable for that. I find it much easier to program using DLS, so I have both the IT100 and PCLink cable connected to a 4-port serial to Ethernet device server. The DLS software is officially only available to dealers, but there are copies floating around on the internet. It seems to be getting harder and harder to find, so if you need a copy, PM me when the time comes.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
        Install two driveway sensors so you can tell which direction cars are moving in.
        Great idea. I didn't consider that yet.

Originally posted by S-F View Post
        There are two DSC plugins. You need to connect to the DSC panel either by serial rs232 or ethernet. I'm personally using the Envisalink module so I can connect to my panel by IP. I always recommend IP devices these days as you simply plug them into your switch and then HS can see it. Simple.
        Does the Envisalink card just install into the DSC panel and then you plug the panel into your home network switch? Standard IP devices and communication is my preference too.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
          DSC panels can be interfaced to in two ways. The IT100 serial interface (so you would need a USB to serial adapter, or a device server that converts it to Ethernet), or the Envisalink using Ethernet. For the IT100, both the HST plugin and the BLDSC plugin are available. For the Envisalink, spud has a plugin, although I think BLDSC now supports it too.
          It sounds like the Envisalink option will be the way I go for getting DSC and HS to talk.

I would go with the PC1864 panel as it's the most expandable and only costs a bit more.
          Thanks for the specific recommendation! I will take a look at the specs but I really like to plan for expansion.

Typically you would have a keypad by your normal entrances and some people also have one in the master bedroom.

You can program the panel using a keypad, or using the DLS software connected to a different serial port on the panel. You need to buy or build a PC-Link cable for that. I find it much easier to program using DLS, so I have both the IT100 and PCLink cable connected to a 4-port serial to Ethernet device server. The DLS software is officially only available to dealers, but there are copies floating around on the internet. It seems to be getting harder and harder to find, so if you need a copy, PM me when the time comes.
          So a couple DSC keypads for direct security control but once setup and integrated with HS are these mostly just for backup? It seems like HS can handle most of the day-to-day activity of arm/disarm/alert control through the DSC, right?

I'm looking to go with the SEL-Pro and these have no serial port on that. But the Envisalink should handle that communication.

As for the DLS programming of the DSC, on a quick check it appears that it may be able to run under Linux. We also have a Mac if needed, but no Windows machines. I still have a desktop device with a serial port but it's a pretty old device. None of my current laptops have it. Maybe I can chat with you directly about DLS for deeper questions down the road if you don't mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
            Does the Envisalink card just install into the DSC panel and then you plug the panel into your home network switch? Standard IP devices and communication is my preference too.
            Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
              So a couple DSC keypads for direct security control but once setup and integrated with HS are these mostly just for backup? It seems like HS can handle most of the day-to-day activity of arm/disarm/alert control through the DSC, right?

I'm looking to go with the SEL-Pro and these have no serial port on that. But the Envisalink should handle that communication.

As for the DLS programming of the DSC, on a quick check it appears that it may be able to run under Linux. We also have a Mac if needed, but no Windows machines. I still have a desktop device with a serial port but it's a pretty old device. None of my current laptops have it. Maybe I can chat with you directly about DLS for deeper questions down the road if you don't mind?
              Yes, you can arm/disarm/etc. through HS.

NP on talking further about DLS later.

Cheers
              Al

Comment

Thanks.

Do either of you (or others) also use ZoneMinder? I've seen it mentioned a few times on threads but not sure what extra value something like that would add if you are already running a DSC/HS combo.

I do some pretty complex scripting for work and fun (yeah...I'm sick ) so it would seem that between DSC output and various other data from zWave devices I could set up some a lot of options in HS. But if ZoneMinder or similar offer some valuable functionality I hate to recreate the wheel.

Comment

I don't use ZoneMinder, but check out this thread: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=160464. Also check out BlueIris and there's a plugin for that.

Cheers
                  Al

Comment

Working...
                  X