Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything new in Security and HS3 integration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything new in Security and HS3 integration?

Bought a 2-story house built in 1980. It has never had a security system in it probably because it would be nearly impossible to wire the first floor.

Current house is one story, has a DSC board with an IT-100, and everything is hard wired. It is relatively OLD technology as I have had it for over a decade..

Is there anything new? I need something that can handle 26 windows and 9 doors wirelessly, AND integrate them with HS3.

The bigger question: Is there anything new, that integrates with HS3 that is being offered by the alarm companies today?

I don't want to lose the ability to have events fire when a door or windows functions.

Thanks!

Rob

Is there a particular functionality that you're missing from your DSC system?

I'm more than satisfied with my Ademco Vista 20P's integration with my HS system, but I'm unaware of how DSC systems integrate with HS.

Comment

The alternative to IT100 is the Envisalink EVL4 provides the same integration functions; however has other functions via eyez-on.

The traditional alarm functions have not changed WRT security and the DSC power series is around a decade old but the newer panel with more recent firmware has improved rf functionality.

Comment

I neglected to say that I am MOVING and the old DSC system will be staying.

I don't have any functions I am missing, per se. I just don't want to lose any or get completely locked out of HS3 integration because of a bad choice.

To be honest, I really haven't done much research other than spending an hour reading this forum. Didn't really see much about new installs and even less about new installs via an alarm company.

Better working RF would always be good. I will investigate the Envisalink.

Thank you guys!

Comment

I am very pleased with my Envisalink and Spuds DSC plugin. I receive instant motion feedback for lighting, as well as notifications on door/window contacts. Its a great setup.

Comment

The dedign DSC wireless motion sensors still has embedded 6 seconds reporting delay, which for security reporting is fine, but for HA, 6 seconds in in ordinate time for delayed triggering of events

Comment

ELK-M1G is not cheap, but the integration with HS3 is excellent. Love my system.

tenholde
              tenholde

Comment

I'm sure there are lots of different systems you can go with. The majority of the major ones (Vista, DSC, Elk, etc) can be used "effortlessly" with homeseer with the right plugin.

Personally, I like the Vista 20P but I haven't used any other ones. It's a "professional" system but can be installed/programmed by anyone, assuming you have the time to install it and watch Youtube videos or read the programming manual. Also, similar to other ones, status updates in HomeSeer are instant.

Edit: Just realized you need a wireless solution. I don't think (from what I currently understand) an Ademco system would be the right choice. I know that DSC and Elk both have very good wireless options though.

Comment

I love this forum...

Great advice and info! Thanks!

Rob

Comment

ELK added two way wireless recently for better reliability
                    tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                      ELK added two way wireless recently for better reliability

What is the interface to the ELK?

Comment

https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=856
                        tenholde

Comment

I use Elk and Ultra's plug in too, but only hardwired, no wireless. I chose the M1G because it had 16 zones that can all be configured for fast loop response, important to me because I put PIRs on those zones for motion controlled lighting in every room, so the lights come on very quickly when you walk in. IDK what the delay time is on wireless.

Comment

I'm just an infant in regards to HS and security but have been doing a lot of reading and research in this topic as well.

I just wanted to offer a quick warning that the new DSC PowerSeries Neo does not currently appear to be HS friendly. It appears it uses a new secure bus that is not yet compatible with Envisalink and I haven't found any confirmation if that's coming in the near future. Also the Neo is more limited in the accessories available right now (but that will probably change a lot over the next year).

It doesn't seem like the "old" PowerSeries will be going away any time soon considering how large of a market already exists. Also, looking at DSC's own page it appears some of the new wireless accessories are compatible with both the current PowerSeries and the Neo so they may be back-supporting accessories at least for a while. I obviously have no prediction on how things will look 5-10 years down the road but I personally don't think that investing in a PowerSeries will be a mistake at this point and is the way I'm going for my new home build later this year.

Of course, if they turn out an HS friendly option for the Neo in the next six months I may change my mind.

-L

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                              I'm just an infant in regards to HS and security but have been doing a lot of reading and research in this topic as well.

I just wanted to offer a quick warning that the new DSC PowerSeries Neo does not currently appear to be HS friendly. It appears it uses a new secure bus that is not yet compatible with Envisalink and I haven't found any confirmation if that's coming in the near future. Also the Neo is more limited in the accessories available right now (but that will probably change a lot over the next year).

It doesn't seem like the "old" PowerSeries will be going away any time soon considering how large of a market already exists. Also, looking at DSC's own page it appears some of the new wireless accessories are compatible with both the current PowerSeries and the Neo so they may be back-supporting accessories at least for a while. I obviously have no prediction on how things will look 5-10 years down the road but I personally don't think that investing in a PowerSeries will be a mistake at this point and is the way I'm going for my new home build later this year.

Of course, if they turn out an HS friendly option for the Neo in the next six months I may change my mind.

-L
                              I'm an infant to HS and home security. I got all excited about DSC and Neo. But read what you read.

I don't really care which direction I go, but I'd rather do it right the first time.

Comment

Working...
                              X