Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your automation projects for 2017?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During the winter months, I am able to get into the attic and do some much needed wiring for AC and low-voltage runs. Here's a short list of things I want to get working on while it's cold out:
    • Upgrade house wiring to add more HS switches. I need neutrals!
    • Revisit 1-Wire. I want to monitor 3 freezers and 3 refrigerators with 1-Wire sensors to a Raspberry Pi and update HS.
    • Blinds - I found some rollertrol-like motors on Amazon and will hopefully get some automated blinds on the West side of my home installed.
    • Swimming Pool - I really want to build a pH monitoring solution for my pool using a Raspberry Pi. I'm finding it difficult to find a pH probe that doesn't require frequent calibration. I like the challenge of building my own system and feeding that data back into HS for automation.
    • HAI Security Panel - run more door/window/temperature sensors.
      Also, adding Z-Wave Lock support and look into whole home audio
    • Finally install my garage door sensor that has been in the box for months now.

What's on your 2017 list for automation with HS?
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Wow thats a long list there.

Personally, I really just want to clean up what I have in place now. I added a lot of stuff over the summer and was quick to add, so it's a mess.

So this year, my plan is to streamline my events... and my wiring

Comment

I hope to finish my house with plastering / painting and then connect everything.
      And that is allot
      -lights
      -doors
      -Audio system
      -Hvac - heat pump - pellet stove - solar heating panels
      -VR in each room
      -Satellite tv distribution
      -etc etc

Comment

Things I am attempting to get done (with limited time)...

- install IP cameras (cat6 ran, blue iris ready as well as POE switch - just need cameras)
        - install remaining zwave switches for lights and fans (6 lights and 4 fans)
        - add 3 more Weiser zwave touchscreen locks
        - install TED Home Pro
        - customize phrases and responses for Alexa interface
        - finish BLRoombaWifi to interface to my Roomba 980
        - finish touchscreen HTML5 pages for ipads and iphones (Allonis front end)
        - install Nest protect (still sealed in box)
        - LED lighting in the ceiling of great room and theatre room

- I am sure there are more...
        Last edited by Blade; January 19, 2017, 06:48 AM.
        Cheers,
        Bob
        Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Get Echo working more with HS but not with MyHs!

Comment

I doubt I will get this complete list done in 1 calendar year but here is my list:

1. Try to use scripting more
            2. Upgrade and integrate home home security system
            3. Continue to develop my occupancy detection beyond motion detection
            4. Continue to develop my sleep house mode to not only turn off lights but gracefully shutdown TVs, HT receivers, and computers and shut power to them off until house mode changes to another state. Then bring all normal devices back into standby.
            5. Complete washer/dryer status detection and notification
            6. Finish lighting control of the main living areas
            7. Fireplace control and add a fan to the unit
            8. Control all ceiling fans
            9. Finish water detection in high risk zones
            10. Install second garage door opener and configure control of both garage doors.
            11. Integrate lighting control when movies start in the HT room.
            12. Whole home power monitoring.
            13. Security camera monitoring
            14. Whole home audio
            15. Sprinkler control and local weather monitoring.
            16. Finish homebridge integration to get control of dimmable devices and fans working. Also, configure it to allow me access when not on my local WLAN.
            17. Learn how to develop plugins
            18. RGB led ropes around house, just under the roof so I never have to put up Christmas lights again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
              I doubt I will get this complete list done in 1 calendar year but here is my list:

18. RGB led ropes around house, just under the roof so I never have to put up Christmas lights again...

Ohhh I like this. Interested in your thoughts to execute. Simple static rope lights or individually controllable pixels?

Comment

1) Get my plugins in order and in the updater - done today so off to a good start

2) I say this every year but I want the house to just work, I'm my own worst enemy for this for constantly messing but I just want to get it stable

3) Finish my garden TTS Pi-Zero project, got all the parts but going to have an I2S amplifier connected to a Pi-Zero and send TTS from HS by UDP broadcast (already have this bit working). Should come in at about 1/20th of the cost of a Sonos alternative and should have it done in a couple of weeks or so I hope.

4) Limit myself to writing no more than one plugin every three months, finish off my iCal reader plugin - abandoned, not worth it

5) Automatic loft (attic) door opener project, again got most of the parts and some decent stepper motors but not sure of my faith in the mechanical side of things.
                Last edited by mrhappy; January 26, 2017, 05:33 AM.

Comment

A girlfriend....

actually zoned hvac is my big project this year
                  HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                  53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                  https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

2017 items

Items for 2017

Pool automation to read pH and conductivity (tds) since my ppol doesnt use chlorine or salt. i have looked at building one using arduino from scratch, buying a prebuilt board (aquarium automation) but the cost just keeps adding total around $250.
                    Yes the pH and Tds sensors need calibration 3-4 months so I am debating the cost benefit of just using the little paper strips .

Do something with lights...hate the phillips hue and other options are expensive...house doesn't have neutrals...found out the hard way.

Finish the home server for movies and integration with Kodi.

Cheers
                    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by clafa View Post
                      Items for 2017

Yes the pH and Tds sensors need calibration 3-4 months so I am debating the cost benefit of just using the little paper strips .

Cheers
                      Chris
                      We can also just save 50 bucks a switch and manually turn on our lights, but what is the fun in that?

Comment

Originally posted by mystic860 View Post
                        Ohhh I like this. Interested in your thoughts to execute. Simple static rope lights or individually controllable pixels?

It was not my idea first. Check out this post: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=182761

I kinda want to split up the ropes to control them separately in sections of the roofline.

Comment

Originally posted by clafa View Post
                          Items for 2017

Pool automation to read pH and conductivity (tds) since my ppol doesnt use chlorine or salt. i have looked at building one using arduino from scratch, buying a prebuilt board (aquarium automation) but the cost just keeps adding total around $250.

Do something with lights...hate the phillips hue and other options are expensive...house doesn't have neutrals...found out the hard way.

Finish the home server for movies and integration with Kodi.

Cheers

Chris

I recommend emby server to host movies and tv show media.

Comment

I just complete a similar exercise for my own pool using a Raspi and feeding the info back into Homeseer. Currently measuring temp, pH, TDS, electrical conductivity, ORP updating some virtual devices every 60 secs and a DB for graphing.

Used a cheap DS18B20 for thermometer but the others were more expensive from atlas-scientific. Works well and fun little project.

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                              actually zoned hvac is my big project this year
                              That is goal of mine, unfortunately do to cost I don't have a time frame.

I would be interested in what you need to do to zone the system.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X