Which controller next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which controller next

I jumped into z-wave with the Zee S2. It's pretty darn good but obviously has some limitations.

I'm looking for suggestions as to the next logical step. For example, can I add a z-net device and use the Zee built in HS3 software?

I'm really not keen on buying both an expensive software package and a full blown controller such as the SEL which still needs a zstick or something along those lines.

I'm open to all suggestions. THANKS!

The Zee S2 is the only one that comes with the Z-Wave radio built in, so the other controllers would require a stick or Z-Net. I use the full HS3-Pro install on a Raspberry Pi2 with a Z-Net. I would recommend the SEL with a Z-Net, but it starts getting a little pricey at that point.
    HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
    68 Z-Wave Nodes, 175 Events, 359 Devices
    UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
    Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Here have the RPi2 - Zee2 and HS3 Pro running on a iSeries machine in Ubuntu.

The DIY'd RPi2 has a GPIO Z-Wave card inside along with a PiFace shim which I added.

Note I enjoy hardware tinkering here.

I have repurposed the RPi2 as a remote Z-Wave device (Z-Net like but not Z-Net) (poe connected in the attic), 1-Wire temperature network, X10/UPB remote and running Jessie.

I moved the Zee-2 HS3 lite over to an Xi3/Xi5a running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit and test running HS3 lite on a Pine64 2Gb machine (running Ubuntu server 64 bit).

[ATTACH]59190[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]59191[/ATTACH]

I went to using the HAI Z-Wave serial controller as my secondary - but it is sort of a primary talking to the same network as the HS3 box talks to.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
      HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
      HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
        The Zee S2 is the only one that comes with the Z-Wave radio built in, so the other controllers would require a stick or Z-Net. I use the full HS3-Pro install on a Raspberry Pi2 with a Z-Net. I would recommend the SEL with a Z-Net, but it starts getting a little pricey at that point.
        So I can just add the z-net via the network so that the Zee will see it? If so, am I still limited to just five plugins? It seems I might be complicating what should be simple by having two controllers. Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
          So I can just add the z-net via the network so that the Zee will see it? If so, am I still limited to just five plugins? It seems I might be complicating what should be simple by having two controllers. Hmmm.
          You can, but that wouldnt help you much as the Zee S2 already has the Z-Wave radio and you will still be limited to 5 plugins.

Think of the Z-Net as just a radio-only controller whereas the Zee S2 runs HS *and* has the radio built-in.
          HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
          68 Z-Wave Nodes, 175 Events, 359 Devices
          UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
          Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Working...
          X