Character Generator Bandwidth Hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Character Generator Bandwidth Hog

So last month I installed a voice for announcements. I think this 'Character Generator' had something to do with that. I used over a Terabyte of data last month. Apparently this program or whatever it is us using 80G a day or something like that. Anybody know what this is?

i don't seem to have any programs installed named 'Character Generator'. Reading a wiki on character generators, it seems it could be the downloading of weather data for my HSTouch weatherXML stuff. But, my HSTouch WeatherXML has been setup for a few months now, and this high data usage I think just started this month.

Comment

So last month I installed a voice for announcements.

Microsoft SAPI text to speech doesn't talk to the internet so it wouldn't increase your ISP usage.

What exactly did you install relating to a voice for announcements.

Are you seeing ISP usage bandwidth on your monthly bill?

I am seeing this now on my monthly bills with CC.

If anything it would be coming from my streaming audio, video, TV, movies from the internet and I am not currently close to any sort of caps at this time.

Doing a bandwidth test right now to see what usage there is with streaming a movie from the internet...like an AOD movie..and will post here...

Here is a graph streaming a movie to TV plus streaming a video via youtube to my laptop.

[ATTACH]59291[/ATTACH]

So I took the number above of 10 Mbps right now for streaming 3 movies right now and looking at what it would be if it was 24/7 all month using this calculator.

and that looks like this:

[ATTACH]59292[/ATTACH]

Did a what if with another calculator here and never really come close to this number on my monthly bills...IE actual is more like 10% of this number.

[ATTACH]59293[/ATTACH]

Have utilized Homeseer now for quit a few years it has never been much of it being an Internet bandwidth hog. Mostly you will see utilization of bandwidth relating to streaming movies or live TV from the internet. IE: Homeseer usage would come in less than .1% per day compared to say a movie stream.

What ISPs are doing now though is relating to usage caps to charge more for your monthly internet so that they can make more monies.

Mostly they do this if you just utilize non ISP centric services. IE: netflix / AOD versus whatever the ISP is serving up.

The usage caps have become an issue when switching off TV to doing the a la carte TV from the internet (which includes streaming live TV or movies from services). Many ISPs are PO'd right now as folks shut off regular TV and do the a la carte stuff as they are losing monies when folks do this such that they are throttling / limiting usage or just charging for "extra" usage.
      Last edited by Pete; February 4, 2017, 10:24 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
      HS4 Pro - V4.1.17.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
      HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

I installed an Ivona Voice with speech 2 go (S2G). I don't really know if it's related. This 'Character Generator' that's using all the data could be a virus for all I know. Nothing should be using that much data. I just found out something is going on when Comcast sent me an email saying I'd used 110% of my 1TB monthly allowance. That's an insane amount of data. I thought it was possibly my TiVo setup which I just connected a Mini to the system, but the Asus Bandwidth Monitor shows them as not the culprits. I'm attaching the screenshot of what's telling me it's this Character Generator. I have Avast installed, and ran a scan and it didn't find a virus or anything.

http://harposoftware.com/en/2-all-sp...ices_speech2go
        Attached Files

Comment

Does Windows Task Manager show the process for it? Within Task Manager, right click on the process and click on "Open File Location". What directory is it located in?

Cheers
          Al
          HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I could not find a Task that indicated association with a 'Character Generator' app last night, I'll look again today.

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
              I could not find a Task that indicated association with a 'Character Generator' app last night, I'll look again today.
              Check the processes tab. Are you on W7?

Comment

If W7, these steps may help you find it: http://support.sasktel.com/app/answe...-in-windows-xp.

Comment

Went on a search here relating to "Character Generator". Interesting read.

The Character Generator Protocol (CHARGEN) is a service of the Internet Protocol Suite defined in RFC 864 in 1983 by Jon Postel. It is intended for testing, debugging, and measurement purposes. The protocol is rarely used, as its design flaws allow ready misuse.

A host may connect to a server that supports the Character Generator Protocol on either Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) or User Datagram Protocol (UDP) port number 19. Upon opening a TCP connection, the server starts sending arbitrary characters to the connecting host and continues until the host closes the connection. In the UDP implementation of the protocol, the server sends a UDP datagram containing a random number (between 0 and 512) of characters every time it receives a datagram from the connecting host. Any data received by the server is discarded.

Abuse

The service was used maliciously to crash MS DNS servers running Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 by piping the arbitrary characters straight into the DNS server listening port (telnet ntbox 19 | telnet ntbox 53).[1] However, the attack was presumably a symptom of improper buffer management on the part of Microsoft's DNS service and not directly related to the CHARGEN service.[citation needed]

UDP CHARGEN is commonly used in denial of service attacks. By using a fake source address the attacker can send bounce traffic off a UDP CHARGEN application to the victim. UDP CHARGEN sends 200 to 1,000 times more data than it receives, depending upon the implementation. This "traffic multiplication" is also attractive to an attacker because it obscures the attacker's IP address from the victim.

CHARGEN was widely implemented on network-connected printers. As printer firmware was rarely updated on older models before CHARGEN and other security concerns were known, there may still be many network-connected printers which implement the protocol. Where these are visible to the Internet, they are invariably misused as denial of service vectors. Potential attackers often scan networks looking for UDP port 19 CHARGEN sources.

So notorious is the availability of CHARGEN in printers that some distributed denial of service trojans now use UDP port 19 for their attack traffic. The supposed aim is to throw investigators off the track; to have them looking for old printers rather than subverted computers.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
                  HS4 Pro - V4.1.17.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
                  HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Well it's not Homeseer as I killed HS3 and was still getting the data flow. I can't find anything that resembles Character Generator in Programs or processes. Task Manager tells me that TCPSVCS.EXE is using a lot of bandwidth, and the datausage goes away when I kill it, but that is a legitimate windows process. I found a tool in windows that breaks down what TCPSSVC.EXE is trafficking, and it looks as if i'm a server for something as I've got connections to outside addresses. I've uninstalled a lot of stuff that could be the culprit, but it never gets rid of the traffic. I really don't know how to pinpoint that offending program. Ideas?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Bittorrent? If not, my guess is you have some type of malware. May want to try and download a few different anti-malware programs to try. If that's not successful, time to reinstall Windows.

Cheers
                      Al

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
                        Well it's not Homeseer as I killed HS3 and was still getting the data flow. I can't find anything that resembles Character Generator in Programs or processes. Task Manager tells me that TCPSVCS.EXE is using a lot of bandwidth, and the datausage goes away when I kill it, but that is a legitimate windows process. I found a tool in windows that breaks down what TCPSSVC.EXE is trafficking, and it looks as if i'm a server for something as I've got connections to outside addresses. I've uninstalled a lot of stuff that could be the culprit, but it never gets rid of the traffic. I really don't know how to pinpoint that offending program. Ideas?
                        Download the MS sysinternals tool "TCPVIEW"
                        That will show you the IP and service it's connected to. Might help ID who's connected to it. Also is it inbound or outbound traffic?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...ernals/tcpview

Z

Comment

Thanks for the TCPView link. It is mainly upload traffic. TCPView can see the chargen whatever it is, and the port. I've searched for chargen and windows can't find anything to uninstall. Is there a way to identify the program by port (3396)?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by tome10; February 4, 2017, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Here's a similar report: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport...ncontrollably/

Comment

Here is a link relating to port 3396 traffic.

Are you using this computer as a desktop plus running Homeseer?

What other software are you running on it?

You mentioned adding a bunch of software earlier.

Personally I would recommend running only Homeseer on it and not utilizing the computer to surf the web.

Fixing it you can run a few free malware checking programs...

Start here...(note this comes from Al's post/link above)

Run the following programs one at a time and in this order.
                              • Run RKill.
                              • Run Rogue Killer.
                              • Run adwcleaner.
                              • Run Malwarebytes.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
                              X