Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brilliant Touchscreen Smart Switch

https://www.brilliant.tech/

Interesting design, Alexa support. Price pretty good too. They have a demo unit at the Target Open House in San Fran... anybody see this in person?

And will it integrate with HS3? :-)

Makes me think of the bRightSwitch (getbrightswitch.com), but a bit more "refined". Saying I've been waiting 3 years for mine, I would be cautiously optimistic.

It does look good though (interface) and I love that it has Alexa built in and that it has support for up to 4 local loads. I wonder how those loads can be controlled outside of the device. It doesn't mention any kind of communications standard except Wifi. That makes me think that it's proprietary (not necessarily bad), but hopefully if it is, there will be an API and it will all be local (And not cloud based)

Comment

Wow - those are beautiful switches...
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
        It doesn't mention any kind of communications standard except Wifi. That makes me think that it's proprietary (not necessarily bad), but hopefully if it is, there will be an API and it will all be local (And not cloud based)
        It does mention a bit about z-wave in the faq:

"We support a wide variety of smart home products, and add more regularly. Our primary connection method is to use WiFi for partner products like Sonos, Nest, Ecobee, the Honeywell Lyric, Ring, Philips Hue, Bose Soundtouch and more. If you would like to connect to smart locks like August Lock or Schlage, or already have Z-Wave or Zigbee products, we also support hubs like Wink or SmartThings so you can control them from a Brilliant Control. Amazon Alexa Voice Services are already built in, so you just need to connect to your Amazon account."

So, I'm not sure what that means. Makes me think it can connect to Wink/Smarthings via wifi. Though, whether they can be configured to work with HS3, or they have to specifically add support for HS3, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by DevinH View Post
          It does mention a bit about z-wave in the faq:

"We support a wide variety of smart home products, and add more regularly. Our primary connection method is to use WiFi for partner products like Sonos, Nest, Ecobee, the Honeywell Lyric, Ring, Philips Hue, Bose Soundtouch and more. If you would like to connect to smart locks like August Lock or Schlage, or already have Z-Wave or Zigbee products, we also support hubs like Wink or SmartThings so you can control them from a Brilliant Control. Amazon Alexa Voice Services are already built in, so you just need to connect to your Amazon account."

So, I'm not sure what that means. Makes me think it can connect to Wink/Smarthings via wifi. Though, whether they can be configured to work with HS3, or they have to specifically add support for HS3, who knows.
          To me that says they can connect to to a hub which supports Zwave, but that they don't support z-wave directly.

They also say "Ability to access the Brilliant Control through IFTTT or the Brilliant Alexa skill". Both of those options are "cloud based" and I'm not a fan of having to connect to the cloud to control my devices. Not to mention, this means that HS3 might not have direct control if any at all. IFTTT often has delays, sometimes up to an hour, and we can't "send" commands to alexa so much (Though maybe there are ways around this?)

What they need is local API Access. Something simple like send an HTTP command to control a light, and register call back URLs (webhooks) for when the device is controlled another way (locally, via Alexa, via IFTTT).

Comment

I emailed their support address this morning asking if they were going to be supporting any professional "hubs" or just smartthings and wink. Haven't received any reply yet. Realistically they could access HS using JSON.

Comment

Very nice and good price.

Here starting (baby steps) to tinker with the Smarthing hub, integration to my OmniPro2 and Amazon Alexa. (that and use Rob's OmniPro Homeseer plugin)
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by rmiles7721 View Post
                I emailed their support address this morning asking if they were going to be supporting any professional "hubs" or just smartthings and wink. Haven't received any reply yet. Realistically they could access HS using JSON.
                I also emailed them inquiring about an API and the potential interest for them or myself to write a plugin for Homeseer to access their devices. I'm hoping to hear back.

Comment

I like the description on their website, tired of digging out your cell phone to control your Smart Switch, now you can just get up and go to your light switch. Lol
                  https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
                    ... tired of digging out your cell phone to control your Smart Switch, now you can just get up and go to your light switch. Lol
                    Wow. Home automation is taking a 180. The reason I automate is so I do not have to get up and go to the switch These are pretty though.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                      Wow. Home automation is taking a 180. The reason I automate is so I do not have to get up and go to the switch These are pretty though.
                      I agree, but there are times where it is easier to get up and use a switch than to pull out a phone (in those times where "automation" didn't cover it)

These are pretty, and I like that they control up to 4 loads. I kinda wish they had separated it out a bit though so it could be more flexible. Today I might have a 3 gang, but tomorrow I might wan't to add another switch. For a 4 gang version, it's $300! then I have a 3 gang just doing nothing.

In this regard, I like the bRightSwitch, but after seeing this one, I feel like the bRightSwitches will be eyesores on my walls...LOL

Comment

Those are sweet looking!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not sure which way I'm surprised on the pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                            I also emailed them inquiring about an API and the potential interest for them or myself to write a plugin for Homeseer to access their devices. I'm hoping to hear back.

Received their response today.

"Thank you for your question!

We haven't reached out to Homeseer on Control4 quite yet about setting up access, but knowing their systems it shouldn't be too hard. We can definitely work with Wink. "

I never asked about plugins as I'm not a programmer so maybe you'll get results from your email.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                              I could see something like this in a couple of places throughout the house. Bathroom for one. Light switch is right next to the sink and mirror, always standing there. The kitchen would be another good place.

Comment

Working...
                              X