Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ceiling fan control!!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ceiling fan control!!!!

    We may finally have a good solution to control our ceiling fans. Just saw this link from The Verge about a new device called Bond. It's similar an RFXCom device. The question now is whether Homeseer can get a head start on integration.

    https://fan-bond.com

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  • #2
    Is there an API for this? I abandoned the wireless remotes for my ceiling fans a long time ago and now use the Z-Wave option which works very well.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Sireone View Post
      Just saw this link from The Verge about a new device called Bond. It's similar an RFXCom device.
      I'm not clear on why this is like an RFXCOM device. It appears to be able to decode the RF signal from the fan remote, store it, and resend it on demand. I'd be more inclined to liken it to a learning remote, but for RF.

      If that is what it is doing, then it's the first example of such a device that I'm aware of. I would love to see a general purpose device like this that can learn and then rebroadcast RF control signals. That would be a very useful addition to HA.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

      HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        Is there an API for this? I abandoned the wireless remotes for my ceiling fans a long time ago and now use the Z-Wave option which works very well.
        Well, I like the fact that you can still use your existing fan remotes. It also looks like it supports Smart Things, Nest and others, so an API shouldn't be too far along.

        Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • #5
          Definitely would solve a problem... but $99 is a bit steep IMO.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
            Definitely would solve a problem... but $99 is a bit steep IMO.
            actually, I think the opposite as it controls up to 6 fans. Doesn't say it's all independant control though.

            Do I need to have the Bond and the fan in the same room?
            No. One Bond can control up to 6 ceiling fans as long as they are less than 50 ft away from the Bond. The Bond does not need line of sight in order to control a ceiling fan.

            Comment


            • #7
              Looks cool, but the FAQ also stated you need internet for control through the app. I wonder if that means no local API. I'd prefer something not dependent on the internet.

              Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
              Thanks,
              Frank

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Black Cat View Post
                actually, I think the opposite as it controls up to 6 fans. Doesn't say it's all independant control though.

                Do I need to have the Bond and the fan in the same room?
                No. One Bond can control up to 6 ceiling fans as long as they are less than 50 ft away from the Bond. The Bond does not need line of sight in order to control a ceiling fan.
                Didn't see that. Definitely better... except i only have one fan :-)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just thought I would chime in on this. Sounds like a promising option if it gets integrated into HS.

                  I just got done putting in two replacement fans and went with the GE ZWave fan control after much research and exploring of the options. I considered using the Hunter SimpleConnect BT solution (would have been the easiest) and my boys would have fun controlling their fan and scheduling it through the app. Looked at the Insteon FanLinc option, but seemed complicated (and expensive) to have another protocol and hub and plugin just to support the fans. Also, considered the more simple Maestro. . .but all of them would have required a new hub and plugin or resulted in the fans not being connected in to the rest of the HA network. . .

                  So, what I wanted to share is something that might be an option for some of you. If you get the right fan, you can fit the GE dimmer switch inside it. Here is a picture of the install in our living room (no wall switches available). I used the Aeon Micro Energy Switch to setup control for the lights and the GE Fan Control switch for the fan. By using the Hunter 53327 - New Bronze 52" Indoor Ceiling Fan - 5 Reversible Blades (we needed a hugger for our low ceiling). . .there was plenty of room in the hugger part of the fan (so it doesn't have to fit in the fan box itself). Working well for us so far. (not sure why the picture gets rotated when I attach it here. . .oh well).
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I use the Insteon FanLincs, they work perfectly.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well..it seems that Homeseer integration will be limited to IFTTT initially. I can live with that for now.

                      Hey Devon,

                      Thanks for the interest in our product.

                      Currently Homeseer is not on our road map for the launch.

                      Right after launch we will get a better feel to what consumer want as far as integration and will release a revised roadmap based on that input.

                      We will publish an API and integration with IFTTT.

                      Thanks


                      Zohar Shinar
                      CEO

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks for sharing the information. Which one is the best solution ?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Robert Brown View Post
                          Thanks for sharing the information. Which one is the best solution ?
                          It depends on whether you are already using Insteon or Z-Wave.
                          -Rupp
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Don't the new Aeotec nano dimmers also control fans? If doing z-wave, I would suggest them. They are small enough to fit 2 in a fan (lights and fan).

                            If you are insteon, I use the insteon fanlincs to great success.

                            though I use fanlincs, I've considered switching one fan to nano dimmers to try them out.
                            Thanks,
                            Frank

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                              Don't the new Aeotec nano dimmers also control fans? If doing z-wave, I would suggest them. They are small enough to fit 2 in a fan (lights and fan).

                              If you are insteon, I use the insteon fanlincs to great success.

                              though I use fanlincs, I've considered switching one fan to nano dimmers to try them out.
                              If you do switch let us know how it goes. It's so much easier to trade out a switch than it is to climb the ladder and take the fan apart though.
                              -Rupp
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X