How do people view device history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do people view device history?

I switched to SmartThings because in the app I can click any device and see a history like 2:01 door opened 2:03 door closed etc. I used HomeSeer for years but switched because Imperihome on Android didn't seem to show history (nor would it control Hue lights if away from home. Only on and off not colours).

Just curious in case I want to use my HS3 licence for another home, how do people do this? I love being able to be at the airport, open my phone and open an app and immediately see history when my front door last opened or lights came on. Thanks.

Have you looked at the Device History plug-in?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

No that's not what I'm looking for at all, I'm trying to avoid having to use the HS3 web interface since it's not mobile enabled and is made for desktops. Just tried this plugin but it's too cumbersome to log into the web interface, go to the plugin, click on chart etc. With SmartThings you just click on the device the same way you'd turn it on or off but instead press History, and it lists all changes right there. Plus I'm not really into paying $29 for another HS3 plugin as that's the reason I switched to SmartThings, they don't nickel and dime you on every single add on, the community makes them for free! Thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 416to305 View Post
        Just curious in case I want to use my HS3 licence for another home, how do people do this? I love being able to be at the airport, open my phone and open an app and immediately see history when my front door last opened or lights came on. Thanks.
        Your license is yours, you can use it in any of your homes. If you want to transfer the license to someone else, there is a small fee of $20, I think.
        Last edited by randy; May 1, 2017, 08:49 AM.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

With SmartThings you just click on the device the same way you'd turn it on or off but instead press History, and it lists all changes right there.
          If SmartThings gives you what you want, then it's clearly the way to go.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

No that's not what I'm looking for at all, I'm trying to avoid having to use the HS3 web interface since it's not mobile enabled and is made for desktops. Just tried this plugin but it's too cumbersome to log into the web interface, go to the plugin, click on chart etc. With SmartThings you just click on the device the same way you'd turn it on or off but instead press History, and it lists all changes right there. Plus I'm not really into paying $29 for another HS3 plugin as that's the reason I switched to SmartThings, they don't nickel and dime you on every single add on, the community makes them for free! Thanks anyway.
            I think you get what you pay for... and personally I like my stuff to just work and not rely on a cloud. I played the Hub game initially, and have used HS3 for 3 years now, for a reason. To each their own though.

That being said, what you want can be done within HSTouch if you are willing to put in the work to do it. For my setup, I have a SQL database that tracks any changes in the house and use that for historical data.

Comment

I came from SmartThings and also miss the device log, but I also found the log to be incomplete and often missing events for the particular device.

Grew to not rely on it since it wasn't accurate. The event logs in HS allow you to search for a particular device. I find the device history plugin to be far more accurate than anything in SmartThings could provide.

Comment

Originally posted by mwolter View Post
                I came from SmartThings and also miss the device log, but I also found the log to be incomplete and often missing events for the particular device.

Grew to not rely on it since it wasn't accurate. The event logs in HS allow you to search for a particular device. I find the device history plugin to be far more accurate than anything in SmartThings could provide.
                Another nice feature of the history PI is the Device History tab contained within inside each device listing. You get a quick look at the what it's been doing, just two clicks away.

Z

Comment

SmartThings (Samsung). I wouldn't trust that company for a second. I have been (figuratively) burned by that company on several different occasions, once on a massive scale. Some Galaxy note 7 owners have been burned (literally) . Looking at how Samsung handled that mess would give me pause for counting on them for control or security.

Like Wayne I have no desire to be tethered to the cloud. I really don't think there is any comparison between the power and flexibility of HomeSeer and SmartThings, but as Uncle Michael stated, choose what works best for you.
                  HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                  X