No announcement yet.

X-10 240 volt filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. Here are my comments.

Is the RR501 in the pool house by the poney panel?

It is on one of the circuits from the pony panel. The Elk relay has 240 wired directly to one side of the relay from the same panel separate dual breaker.

Have you tested using an old X10 button controller in or near the pool house?

The weird thing is the RR501 can be controlled via X-10 and I can turn off the pump when it's running. Not sure why it responds to X-10. It's the other devices (pool heater and an outdoor light) which refuse to work when the pump is running. The pump can be in 'neutral' - not pumping but electronics still on and control to all X-10 still works.

You could maybe add a local X10 controller connected via wireless or a wired network.

Perhaps... though I use a T103 which is actually plugged into a basement circuit next to my HS system. I still have about 6 other X-10 devices still in operation for the front lights, garage lights, gate post lights ,an X-10 appliance and a couple of lamp modules which still work perfectly in the house. And seasonal for Christmas lights.

The signal strength locally might overcome the noise?

I am guessing the poney box you are referring to is a sub panel in the pool house?

Yes. I have 50A sub in the pool house from the main 200A panel from the house.

You could maybe install Jeff Volps dual phased TW-523 in the sub panel?

If this works you can wire up an RPi2 wired or wirelessy

I have contacted the store and the owner has agreed to push this issue up a notch. He will contact his electrician and get back. Perhaps as Randy suggested, the pump may be defective.

I also noticed that when the pump is spinning and I ping my camera or IP2SL that the pings sometimes timeout and the return time is high. When it's not spinning, it becomes 100% reliable and the pings take about 6ms or so.

I mostly use Z-wave but still use X-10 when it has proven to be reliable. I'm not sure if Z-wave will reach the pool house. And even if it does, my PoE is still compromised.

Thanks again for all suggestions. I will update this thread when I get this resolved.

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Is there even the most remote chance the pump was not properly grounded when installed - including any potential internal grounding? Absent of that I'm even more inclined to think that the pump is either defective or of a poor design. The standards here in the US are very tight as to controlling electronic noise emission. I really believe that the standards in Canada would be equivalent. I cannot see how they could sell a pump that can wreak havoc with nearby electronics, for consumer and especially for commercial use.

In a prior life I had a company that repaired consumer electronics for 20+ brands. That had been my profession since 1972, we completed 250-350 repairs per week, mostly display products. About 7 years ago we had a run of plasma displays, I think they were Samsung (I could be wrong on the brand), that were "accidentally" built without the ferrite core chokes normally used on the line input to the SMPS (power supply). The noise from those sets could affect other AV devices in proximity to them, killing control links and other anomalies. I heard of them causing network dropouts and affecting baby monitors and cordless phones. I wasn't into HA back then but they certainly could swamp the already weak X-10 signal design.

Comment

A quickie BTW....

Here have been testing the updated X10 plugin and left an old X10 signal meter next to the Homeseer server over the last few months.

A while ago had enabled the AC for the summer. Here it is set to 72 when it starts to get warm and never shut off until fall or a cold day.

A month or so ago noticed an X10 steady noise level that never went away.

Last week Monday had an outdoor compressor gotcha. (motor seized). The outdoor compressor and indoor chiller were replaced last Wednesday.

Just noticed this week that the X10 signal meter is showing no noise now. I am wondering if it was due to the motor on the AC compressor.

Have you looked at the outdoor pool house area AC for X10 noise?
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
        HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

I managed to come up with a solution based on using https://www.x10.com/xpf-20a-wired-in-noise-filter.html.

Instead of just wiring 14/2 from the subpanel to my Elk 9000 relay, I wired 14/3 so I could use the neutral which is required for the filter to work.
          The pair of filters (one for each split phase) are wired after the relay with the neutral. The ground just continues to the pump as shown here.
          This way, the relay works similar to a breaker in the panel in that both neutral and ground are extended to the load and the hot leads are switched.

In any case, I can now use my X-10 as well as my PoE without issue.
          Thanks for all your suggestions with this.

Robert
          Attached Files
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Great news Robert!
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
            HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
            HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

langenet Sorry to revive an old post but wondering why you used 2 x XPF instead of the PZZ01 ? availability?
              cheers,

Comment

You know... I actually can't remember to be honest. In any case, my solution still works like a charm. I'm sure either would work.

Comment

thx for the update. Just ordered some new old stock (Leviton X10 240v inline modules). good thing is that they are made for North American 2 phases and wont require a separate 240v contactor but noise could be an issue; so your solution could potentially help.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                  X