Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC powered z-wave recessed sensors

Hi,
    I am in the process of building a house (framing just started) and I am very new to HS or for that matter any home control system. I am looking for AC powered z-wave recessed motion and door sensors since I have exposed walls that would allow me to hard wire the sensors = I do not want to be going around the house every year replacing batteries. So Looking through the threads I see a few options but all of them require a battery or a USB cable (at least the 15 or so threads that I scanned). I guess I could insert into the mid section of the inner wall a 115 to USB socket and then hook up the sensor but that seems a little clugy. So does anyone know of an inside recessed motion detector, an outside motion detector and a door sensor that is z-wave based and AC powered?
    Thanks

Hi, I am going to assume you mean door and window sensors... It defeats the purpose of z wave if you need to have it plugged into power at all times. If you want to go the wired route I suggest using wired door and window sensors to an alarm panel. Then connecting the alarm panel to homeseer will actually give you better results than z wave sensors. The wired ones are always active, we're the z wave ones are passive until the status changes, it then wakes up sends the signal and then goes back passive. You see this lag the most with motion sensors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ya I actually do mean motion detectors. Sorry I am new to this world and do not know of all the options and the ways things are done = pretty low on the learning curve.
      So can someone suggest a good indoor and an outdoor wired motion sensor as well as a wired sensor to know when a door is open or closed as it would seem that is really what I am after?
      For the door sensor it would seem a simple reed switch would work.
      I guess I should also start looking into an alarm panel. Would the alarm panel then be a matrix of opened/closed inputs that HS has access to or monitors somehow and once one of the elements changes states HS takes action? Could someone also suggest an alarm panel that works with HS?
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nomad View Post
        Would the alarm panel then be a matrix of opened/closed inputs that HS has access to or monitors somehow and once one of the elements changes states HS takes action? Could someone also suggest an alarm panel that works with HS?
        The DSC panels are popular and affordable. I'd do some searching on the board and elsewhere online for the options, then ask more specific questions as you learn more about them. I'd also use sensors designed specifically for use with the panel to maximize compatibility and robust operation.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1140
        https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1042
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I second DSC, I have it at home, although wireless, but it's a great panel and integrated very nicely with Homeseer. The one pro that the honeywell has is that the actual LCD output cam be read over homeseer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for the info
            I see on HS's product site that they have an ADIO-100 module that is designed for this purpose. If that is so then all I need to do is find the wired sensors. Still looking...

Comment

Originally posted by nomad View Post
              I see on HS's product site that they have an ADIO-100 module that is designed for this purpose. If that is so then all I need to do is find the wired sensors.
              Do some homework on the performance of the ADIO-100. I'm not sure people who have used it are very enthusiastic about it, but maybe that's changed.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I think you'll find the wired alarm panel is the most popular way to go. I have all my door and windows and motions wired. I even wired interior doors for turning on lights and such on closest and pantry doors. Bathroom doors are wired also so if doors closed and lights on for more then X min turn on bathroom vent fan.

Get a panel that inergrates with automation systems (do research) then wire everything up and it all looks the same in homeseer. Has its own backup battery if powers out in the house and you never have to worry about battery's and its very reliable and been around for years.

Comment

Another option is to use an Arduino board with the Arduino plugin.
                  If you install for example a Mega board (or one for each room ;-) and connect it to HS via LAN you have several digital in- and outputs at your disposal and if you want you can even add temperature, motion or other sensors.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1222

Comment

Working...
                  X