Any news on HS4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any news on HS4?

I know HS3 is reliable and it works fine for most people, but at this point, it is just super duper dated. It's been like 4 or 5 years since last major upgrade. In the software world, that's a lifetime!! Anyone know when HS4 is being released? Is it even being developed?

I doubt it is even been considered for development at the minute - I'd be shocked if it was.

I think the fundamental architecture is relatively solid, the interface and event engine is pretty stable. The UI is what people see and judge the product on and what is lacking, that is a complaint that is echoed quite often but no news on what may be in store in terms of UI improvements. There was mention of a HSTouch replacement but no news on that in a while and no ideas what that will bring.
    My Plugins:

Pushover 3P | DoorBird 3P | Current Cost 3P | Velleman K8055 3P | LAMetric 3P | Garadget 3P | Hive 3P |
    Yeelight 3P | Nanoleaf 3P

Comment

Plenty of things in HS3 need fixing!

Comment

I agree, plenty needs to be fixed and plenty needs to be added. The Event engine works fine, but it can DEFINITELY be improved. Currently, for many simple tasks u need to create multiple events. A more advanced engine should be able to handle all that in a single event... The interface is whole story by itself. It looks like it was made in the 90's... Again, it works and it's stable, but it is definitely time for a major refresh and upgrade.

Comment

My God.

What's the problem?
          The event engine doesn't "look" modern but it works? Should they put more icons or emojis in there or something? I'm confused. Maybe paint it purple? Or go with the current trend and make everything white and flat?

These kind of comments spring up every now and again and I think that ultimately what folks are looking for is a nice remote control UI. But I may be mistaken. HSTouch will usually answer those questions if one is willing to take a few days to work it, though it does have its own quirks. Otherwise there is Imperihome and the Spud plugin. I have no idea why it took that long for someone to make an Imperihome plugin but Kudos to Spud.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Perfect Setup

Let the complaints begin!

Comment

HS8?

HS3 quietly has undergone several major revisions that I think some companies would bill as new versions. Those big revisions all involved new features that were not on the list of features when I purchased my HS3 Pro upgrade. Look at the recent betas of 332-340 that are introducing large changes in how HSTouch works for example. If you factor in large revisions like the time multithreaded event handling was added, JSON support, IFTTT\Echo\MyHS...I count 4-5 major revisions since it was released.

HS8 FTW!

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
              Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
              Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

All companies should have a 3-5 yr plan. You can bet they have a general roadmap if they want to be competitive.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
                HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
                64 Z-Wave Nodes, 168 Events, 280 Devices
                UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
                Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
                HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Originally posted by jumper4000 View Post
                  I know HS3 is reliable and it works fine for most people, but at this point, it is just super duper dated. It's been like 4 or 5 years since last major upgrade. In the software world, that's a lifetime!! Anyone know when HS4 is being released? Is it even being developed?
                  I never realize that HS3 is dated because as far as I know there aren't many new ways to turn on a light, open a garage door, arm and alarm system. HomeSeer 3 is an automation engine that simply works for most. The new front ends are now the new VR engines like the Echos, Dots, Google Homes, etc. True automation shouldn't require much of a front end as the point is to automate.
                  -Rupp
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                    Plenty of things in HS3 need fixing!
                    Do you have examples as I'm sure Mark and crew would like to know this.
                    -Rupp
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                      I think we should limit this to actual problems, not improvement or enhancement requests.

I'll start with 2
                      1. Group conditions are broken
                      2. When editing an event a trigger should not be allowed to be deleted - deleting the primary trigger breaks the event. Deleting a secondary trigger (OR IF) should be allowed, but all associated conditions must be removed as well or the event is usually broken.

There are others and I'm certain someone else can point out more.

Not directly HomeSeer, but the HSTouch designer is so buggy as to have an almost impossible learning curve.

Contemporaneous change logs on the core program and plug-ins would be very nice.

I have no problem with the look and feel of the current interface, when HomeSeer is working correctly, I don't even look at it. I have no problem with the design of the event engine. It will do most anything that needs to be done. There are a few missing event functions that fortunately have been added by Spud. I don't care that it takes several events to accomplish things, it wouldn't be any improvement to be able to try to do too many things within a single event.
                      Randy Prade
                      Aurora, CO
                      Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

It would probably be easier to check the black hole of bugzilla....

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                          I think we should limit this to actual problems, not improvement or enhancement requests.

I'll start with 2
                          1. Group conditions are broken
                          2. When editing an event a trigger should not be allowed to be deleted - deleting the primary trigger breaks the event. Deleting a secondary trigger (OR IF) should be allowed, but all associated conditions must be removed as well or the event is usually broken.

There are others and I'm certain someone else can point out more.

Not directly HomeSeer, but the HSTouch designer is so buggy as to have an almost impossible learning curve.

Contemporaneous change logs on the core program and plug-ins would be very nice.

I have no problem with the look and feel of the current interface, when HomeSeer is working correctly, I don't even look at it. I have no problem with the design of the event engine. It will do most anything that needs to be done. There are a few missing event functions that fortunately have been added by Spud. I don't care that it takes several events to accomplish things, it wouldn't be any improvement to be able to try to do too many things within a single event.

+1 Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          HS3 3.0.0.500 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 782 Devices, 479 Events
                          Plugin's:
                          BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
                          EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                          weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

Comment

After the considerable effort involved in moving from HS2 to HS3 there's no way that I'd consider HS4.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                              Yeah, you should really check Bugzilla for things that are broken and enhancement requests.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
                              HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
                              64 Z-Wave Nodes, 168 Events, 280 Devices
                              UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
                              Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
                              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Working...
                              X