WiFi & Router Recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi & Router Recommendation?

The TG862G's specs are kinda old. It supports a 2x3 MIMO on wireless N but I suspect that the wireless component isn't very strong and probably doesn't have a huge footprint.

Additionally, the device doesn't have a lot of uplink and downlink channels. This may or may not matter to you. Where I live they support up to 24 downlink and 4 uplink channels. These expanded channels allows for better bandwidth matching to your shaped speed and helps to mitigate the affect of heavy adoption in a given community. You may want to ask one of their on-site techs what is the maximum number of uplink and downlink channels they support in your area.

If you are not comfortable running an Ethernet cable from your router to your attic and then installing a conventional wireless access point to it, I would agree the wireless mesh systems may be more up your alley. Options include:

Google mesh
    Mac airport
    eero
    Ubiquiti Ampli-Fi

all have good solutions with their own twist on features.
    If you go the mesh route I would recommend getting a standalone modem only instead of the combo gateway you have. I say this because each of the mesh systems should have a router built in which would then connect to the modem on the WAN port (aka: Internet, or [emoji289] icon). Having the mesh's router connected to your TG862G combo gateway causes a situation of a double NAT which will complicate things when you get much outside of the standard internet access only.

If you need more than the ports available a simple 8 port unmanaged netgear/tp-link switch should do the trick.

Again, I would recommend getting as much as possible off of your wifi and onto an Ethernet cable. My rule is any device that doesn't move should get an Ethernet cable connection. If I have more than 1 network device in a room and need more drops I will either run a second network cable to my network closet or pickup a cheap 4 port network switch to support it. My wifi has devices that either don't have a LAN NIC (my sprinkler controller and echo dot), or are mobile devices (smartphones, tablets, and laptops).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kerat; July 26, 2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

It would be difficult to run extra Ethernet cable except into the two bedrooms that are next to comm closet because it is a condo with no attic.

Builder put in Ethernet to each room so a question I have is can the Ethernet cable to living room be used then split into more ports from there with a switch or sub router? That is the room furthest from comm closet with all connections. Living room has the biggest need for Ethernet connections if I were to get devices off WiFi.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
        It would be difficult to run extra Ethernet cable except into the two bedrooms that are next to comm closet because it is a condo with no attic.

Builder put in Ethernet to each room so a question I have is can the Ethernet cable to living room be used then split into more ports from there with a switch or sub router? That is the room furthest from comm closet with all connections. Living room has the biggest need for Ethernet connections if I were to get devices off WiFi.
        Yes, use a 4 or more port Gigabit switch with one port used as the incomming and then you'll have extra's going out to what ever you need. One of those could go to google WIFI to get a mesh going in that room along with others.

Comment

Here over did the wired stuff and still rather used a wired laptop than a tablet. (well three floaters on the main floor).

So have cat6 now behind/next to two sofa's, next to the media stuff (TV), in the bathrooms, ...If you have coaxial cable around you can use new old stock DTV 100 Mb MOCA like devices sold on Amazon really cheap now at around $10 a pair. I bought one to test on one coaxial cable that went from the basement to the master bedroom.

Best to keep it simple. Get another wireless access point and try to locate it in your home where you have a good foot print.

I have is can the Ethernet cable to living room be used then split into more ports from there with a switch or sub router?

The transport of connectivity is like so whether it is combined or not.

ISP ==> Modem ==> Firewall ==> switch (and wireless access points.)

You have a combo modem, firewall, switch and access point provided by your ISP.

You can put another switch from your firewall ports and another wireless access point.

In the living room started with one wire and small 8 port switch to the area by the television. Later just ran more wires.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

question I have is can the Ethernet cable to living room be used then split into more ports from there with a switch
            Use something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Gigab...8+port+gigabit

or like this.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ether...8+port+gigabit

All plug and play nothing to setup. Acts as a splitter basically.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
              Use something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Gigab...8+port+gigabit

or like this.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ether...8+port+gigabit

All plug and play nothing to setup. Acts as a splitter basically.
              Thanks. I ordered the Netgear 8 port for livingroom.

Comment

Do I need to buy my own cable modem or is the one Comcast supplies for free ok?

I pay a monthly fee for my current Comcast equipment so I will want to return it. I don't have VOIP or cable, just the internet service.

Comment

Do I need to buy my own cable modem or is the one Comcast supplies for free ok?

I pay a monthly fee for my current Comcast equipment so I will want to return it. I don't have VOIP or cable, just the internet service.
                  Know I will still need a router, firewall and wireless gateway or access point if I just have a free modem without any of those systems. I see modems for sale and am just wondering why people would buy them if a free one comes with service.... Is it better in some way to buy one, etc?

Comment

Know I will still need a router, firewall and wireless gateway or access point if I just have a free modem without any of those systems. I see modems for sale and am just wondering why people would buy them if a free one comes with service.... Is it better in some way to buy one, etc?
                    Most times they charge you for a modem or they give you an all in one system and lock you out of half it.

If they give you a free modem only then there should be no reason to buy one. They should provide you one with enough channels to support the service they currently offer.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                      That router only has N it looks like and would explain the lower speeds. I would get a wireless router that is at least AC... the Google Wifi mesh mentioned earlier would be very easy for you to setup.

I also agree to get as much hardwired as possible. Even if a device isn't being used, if its on, its still connected to your wifi probably and will slowly take away bandwidth for other devices. you can just get a cheap 1 gig switch to expand your ports and allow more wired connections. Personally here I have mainly just my cell phones and the echos wireless, everything else is pretty much hardwired.
                      Thoughts on this device from anyone if I go the simple route (I don't understand some of the terms they yse - lol)?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06ZZ...RAKX2ZXWZZQJBX

Comment

Oops, was looking at wrong page when I copied link. This is the one I am curious about getting some feedback for

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06ZZ...RAKX2ZXWZZQJBX

Looking at the non refurbished one for $121, url seems to be the same when I try to copy even though pages are different...
                        Last edited by Planetview; July 26, 2017, 07:31 PM. Reason: Link confusion note

Comment

Check your monthly invoice relating to the equipment you have. Here in the midwest Comcast always charged a monthly fee for all of their equipment.

Here only utilize Comcast for the Internet.

The Comcast modem written about is really another router. You cannot see one side of it because that is where your service is provisioned. There are some filters there too. Basically when you start / power up your Comcast modem it does a TFTP to Comcast, they see your serial number / mac and send down a configuration package to your modem. It reboots and connects to the Comcast network.

Way back owning the modem and renting the modem became a legal issue. Legally they cannot touch your modem if you own it to make changes to it. They were sued for this. Over time now I think the laws have changed.

Here force a DHCP internet IP address change by spoofing the MAC address on the firewall. Just change the last two digits forces a change to my IP address. Well that and utilize No-IP dot com for my internet dynamic dns name stuff.

I personally like TP-Link / Asus / Netgear over Linksys router combos...that is me though and those are for second locations as house here uses the a la carte stuff.

Here is Amazon's best sellers.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Can you please offer suggestions in the mid price range?
                            You have a ton of good options in the mid-price range. The space you need to cover isn't very big, and for most types of construction, your devices should be well within range using a single wireless access point. You shouldn't need any sort of fancy mesh system (Google Wifi, Eero, etc.)

If you're looking for something simple, I'd stay away from Unifi products. They make nice stuff--I use it at my place--but it's not particularly user-friendly.

I would look at Synology's new router (https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RT1900ac). Synology is widely recognized for having easy to use, well-engineered, and well-supported products. It's competitive price-wise, and has easy-to-use, built-in features that you might want if you decide to dive a little deeper (VPN, DNS, etc). The management interface on this router will be much nicer than most competitors.

If you need more than the three or four built-in LAN ports on your router, just purchase a small unmanaged switch (https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Gigab...gigabit+switch) , and plug it into one of your LAN ports. Unless you have fiber internet and are doing some majorly high-bandwidth downloading on your devices, a switch won't result in a noticeable bottleneck.

Comment

Called Comcast and they still charge $10 a month for modem only. Either they stopped providing a free modem with service or only for it once with a new sign up.

Cheaper to just buy one at $50 even if it only lasts a year through warranty. I'll put the savings towards my new equipment.

BTW, according to customer service rep, I have the newest gateway available without upgrading to a package with TV... Thought you could use a laugh too...

Comment

Originally posted by Patholoraptor View Post
                                You have a ton of good options in the mid-price range. The space you need to cover isn't very big, and for most types of construction, your devices should be well within range using a single wireless access point. You shouldn't need any sort of fancy mesh system (Google Wifi, Eero, etc.)

If you're looking for something simple, I'd stay away from Unifi products. They make nice stuff--I use it at my place--but it's not particularly user-friendly.

I would look at Synology's new router (https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RT1900ac).
                                The Unify products might be too complicated for my knowledge. Will still consider because of quality but will have to do some learning.

Google WiFi is not being considered because reliability issues.

I liked the Synology product until I saw all the negative reviews on Amazon. I am concerned they don't have the software bugs worked out yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X