backing up everything in Homeseer program folder on computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Most important is a DR plan for your Homeseer server.

Testing it to make sure it works is part of this.

Waiting until a disaster happens should not be an impetus to create a DR plan as then it is too late.
    Agreed, some think I am crazy, but I have multiple backups going to multiple locations (still working out a solution to do offsite without having to pay for a service). I do an HS folder backup as well as a complete bare metal backup.

Security and redundancy are my life in the real world and I translate that home as much as possible... including testing my backups.

Comment

BLBackup looks great. So I'm running homeseer on a S6 pro home troller. Am I correct that if I needed to do a system restore on S6 that all I would need to do is replace the Homeseer program folder with my backup homeseer program folder?

Comment

Originally posted by csullivan2005 View Post
        BLBackup looks great. So I'm running homeseer on a S6 pro home troller. Am I correct that if I needed to do a system restore on S6 that all I would need to do is replace the Homeseer program folder with my backup homeseer program folder?

Your backup strategy should take into account failures of:
        1. the application.
        2. operating system on the S6.
        3. The hardware.

I would recommend using BLBackup for the application backup component. Test it to validate function.

Then use a disk imaging tool like acronis, clonezilla, or win32diskimage to make a complete backup of the OS.

Then decide how you will respond to a hardware failure of the S6 (ex: bad ram, CPU, motherboard, or hard drive).

Work out what your ETR is and make sure that you are okay with that timeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you. I downloaded acronis. Now just need to buy a big enough flash drive. So my S6 came with a system restore already however it's just a complete start from scratch. is my best bet still to do a complete backup using acronis and choose the acronis backup instead of the restore backup that came with the S6? Or would doing the restore that came with the S6 work and than just back up certain folders like HS3 and program folders that I could copy and paste after doing the basic system restore that came with S6. I guess overall a complete acronis backup would be superior option since I do have other program applications installed that did not come defaulted on S6

Comment

backing up everything in Homeseer program folder on computer

Originally posted by csullivan2005 View Post
            Thank you. I downloaded acronis. Now just need to buy a big enough flash drive. So my S6 came with a system restore already however it's just a complete start from scratch. is my best bet still to do a complete backup using acronis and choose the acronis backup instead of the restore backup that came with the S6? Or would doing the restore that came with the S6 work and than just back up certain folders like HS3 and program folders that I could copy and paste after doing the basic system restore that came with S6. I guess overall a complete acronis backup would be superior option since I do have other program applications installed that did not come defaulted on S6

Ok, here is how I would approach it:
            1. if your HS3 application crashes you can restore a BLBackup
            2. A. If the OS crashes use the built in restore
            B. If the hard drive fails, replace it and get a new drive and restore the acronis image.
            3. If the hardware fails irrevocably buy a new pc and restore a generalized backup version from acronis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I used BLbackup files to restore my entire system last week after a plugin update caused problems and it worked well. Just renamed messed up HS3 folder and extracted backup in its place.

Purchased Acronis today so I can do a disk image of the OS and entire system, thanks for that recommendation. It should be much easier with Acronis than to install OS again WHEN something goes wrong. Ghost had failed me in the past when I tried to restore a backup but that was long ago when I went from HS1 to HS2.

Comment

Getting back to the OP here of backing up your Homeseer files.

It is most important to know to have some sort of recovery process in place and a backup to Homeseer especially knowing that the software is automating your home and you have dependencies on said automation.

Off a bit here on a tangent of sorts.

The software on a PC and much this stuff outside of the Homeseer world is starting to change a bit similar to the LP going to the CD going to listening to music on the Internet or the movie on a tape going to a DVD , Blue Ray and now just a stream to rent to watch.

Newbie automators using cloud based automation hubs, remote / configuration tablets and smart phones; well and cloud based desktops do not see or know the "server" or "software" residing at home these days. There is nothing to back up anymore.

Personally here want to keep automation at home but I am of an older automation generation today. My son today is an IT manager for a company. Initially just a couple of years ago he went to managing his IT servers / desktops all via his tablet. The physical pieces of backup, hardware management were there. Just a few months ago he mentioned moving all of his servers / desktops to the cloud. This process is a cost saving measure while concurrently down sizes the IT support infrastructure. This is good for the for the whole company making money and it is automating the functions of the wheels of the cog. It is today and tomorrow. AI is starting to become very much integrated in to this stuff.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                X