My HomeSeer Based Smart Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My HomeSeer Based Smart Home

Hello Everyone, Thought I would share some info about my Smart Home set up and repay the help so many others have provided 😀 Hope this will help others that are trying to do something similar to what I have done, and maybe save them a little time and frustration.

I will try to go into detail in many areas such as Z-wave basics, Blue Iris, Oregon Scientific, HS Touch3, scripting basics, etc. My goal is to grow this post over time with detailed instructions and configurations. Basically, I will be sharing my notes on how everything was set up. This won't be for the beginner and you will need to know basic topics (which are easily Googleable) such as using ssh, basic network configuration (IE assigning and finding IP addresses) and troubleshooting. This won't be an attempt to sell you anything, just show what I've done and how I did it. Topics will be posted in this thread and I'll attempt to keep them towards the top.

Before we get into it, here's a little of my background. In a previous life, lol, I did IT for 20 years. Mostly telecom, servers, and networking. Had my own IT business for 10 years and about two years ago decided to do something different. To keep my skills sharp and satisfy my tinkering need I found home automation. Oddly enough, I found out about it from my parents! My Mother was using a ZigBee based system to monitor and control her home greenhouse and had a completely separate X10 system (BTW they just switched to HS and love it). I was intrigued by the capabilities of her system but noticed it was slow and unreliable. I liked what they've done but the two systems weren't integrated and it had severe shortcomings, so I decided to do something different.

Started with Wink, wanted something more flexible and found Smarthings, then started looking for something faster, and more reliable and found HomeSeer. Overall I've been very happy with my HomeTroller SEL. I've had it for over a year and never really had an issue. It's been extremely reliable which was a surprise since the SEL is Linux and HomeSeer is primarily windows based. Congrats to HomeSeer for making a cross-platform system that is fast, flexible and reliable. Anyway, my story is pretty similar to many just getting started with home automation, started with something easy and cheap, then grew from there.

So this is my attempt to pay it forward and hopefully make a central location of info for anyone trying to do what I've done. Enjoy!

Upgrading SEL to Ubuntu 16.04 and Mono 5.0.1.1

First up is upgrading your HomeTroller SEL from Libuntu 14.04 with Mono 3.2.8 to Ubuntu Server 64 bit with Mono 5.0.1.1. This was no easy task but with my notes, it should be much easier for you! These steps should work with the standard Linux version and possibly the Pi version as well.

I have been playing around with scripting on HomeSeer and using TenScripting but noticed that Mono 3.2.8 uses an older version of VB .Net. After helping my Mother install her SEL I noticed that HS is now shipping it with Mono v5. So I decided to update the OS and Mono at the same time and did a complete rebuild of the system.

I was able to save my devices, zwave info, most of the events and now my system appears to be faster as well. All functionality has been maintained. Linux Tools, updating HS through the web interface, plugin installation, lighthttpd (for disaster recovery) and also added support for proper HS shutdown from Linux. For Linux, I decided to go with a server version of Ubuntu and use Webmin for administration. If you have a Linux based HS system, I highly recommend Webmin. It's a very easy to use web-based administration for GUI file access and exiting, Linux logs, user administration and a whole lot more. Far better than VNC or any other remote access system IMO. I've used it on other work-related projects in the past and it was perfect for this.

HS process startup was moved to a system service and can be properly started and stopped from within systemd. I used the screen method from one of Pete's scripts, modified and split in two. One for start-up and another for shutdown. Made a simple systemd script and it appears to be working perfectly. Through monitoring of systemd and HS logs everything is started and shutdown properly and the HS web-based startup and shutdown work as well. Events and device operation appear to be faster than before (if that's even possible).

Be very careful which version of Mono you install. As I am aware, the only Mono versions 100% compatible with HS are 3.2.8 and 5.0.1.1.

Systemd Scripts

HomeSeer.service
    Code:
    [Unit]
    Description=HomeSeer Home Automation
    After=network.target

[Service]
    Restart=on-failure
    RestartSec=30
    TimeoutStartSec=60
    Type=forking
    ExecStart=/usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer_start.sh
    PIDFile=/usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeerScreen.pid
    ExecStop=/usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer_stop.sh

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target
    HomeSeer_start.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    DIR='/usr/local/HomeSeer' # HomeSeer Directory
    NAME='HomeSeer' # Server handle for the screen session
    HSPID="$DIR/HomeSeer.pid" # HomeSeer Process ID
    PID="$DIR/HomeSeerScreen.pid" # Screen Process ID
    if [ "$(pgrep -cf "mono.+HSConsole")" -ge 1 ]; then # Test if HS is running
            echo -e "$NAME is already running."
    else # If not running start HS
            if [ "$(pgrep -cf "[S]CREEN.+${NAME}")" -ge 1 ]; then pkill -cf "[S]CREEN.+${NAME}"; fi # Stop screen if running
            /usr/bin/screen -dm -S $NAME # Start detached screen
            sleep 2
            /usr/bin/screen -S $NAME -X stuff "export LANG=en_US.UTF-8; echo 0403 c07f > /sys/bus/usb-
    serial/drivers/ftdi_sio/new_id; cd $DIR; mono $DIR/HSConsole.exe --log; exit^M" # Start HomeSeer
            sleep 2
            pgrep -f "mono.+HSConsole" > $HSPID # Obtain HomeSeer Process ID
            pgrep -f "[S]CREEN.+${NAME}" > $PID # Obtain screen Process ID
            [ -s $HSPID ] && echo "$NAME started." # If HSPID exists and the size is greater than zero, echo
    fi
    HomeSeer_stop.sh
    Code:
     #!/bin/bash
    HSPID='/usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer.pid'
    PID='/usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeerScreen.pid'
    NAME='HomeSeer'
    if [ -f $HSPID ]; then # Test if PID file exists
            if [ -s $HSPID ]; then # Test if PID is not empty
                    if [ "$(pgrep -cf "mono.+HSConsole")" -ge 1 ]; then # If HS is running
                            for char in $(printf "\\r s h u t d o w n \\r") ; do #invoke shutdown command to homeseer screen instance...
                                    /usr/bin/screen -p 0 -S $NAME -X stuff "$char"
                                    sleep 0.1
                                    done
                    fi
                    for number in {1..4} ; do # Allow time for HS and plugins to gracefully shutdown
                            sleep 10
                            if [ "$(pgrep -cf "mono.+HSConsole")" -lt 1 ]; then break; fi # If HS has closed, stop waiting
                    done
                    if [ "$(pgrep -cf "mono.+HSConsole")" -ge 1 ]; then # Kill HS if it was not stopped gracefully
                            echo -e "$NAME did not stop gacefully. Killing it"
                            kill "$(cat $HSPID)"
                    else
                            echo -e "$NAME was stopped."
                    fi
                    if [ "$(pgrep -cf "[S]CREEN.+${NAME}")" -ge 1 ]; then /usr/bin/screen -S $NAME -X stuff "exit^M"; fi # Gracefully close screen if running
            fi
            rm -f $HSPID; rm -f $PID # Remove PID files
    else
        echo -e "$NAME is not running."
    fi
    So here you go, my notes in PDF. Please take a look and let me know if you find anything that needs correction.

Change Log:
    180104: Updated PDF with auto reboot and importing events
    180107: Found aspx pages were not loading properly. Spent quite a bit of time on this. Tried going to a 32 bit version of linux. Tried installing other Mono related packages. In the end had to revert to Mono 5.0.1.1. Updated the PDF with several new steps regarding this.
    180203: Removed unnecessary lines and made systemd scripts available directly in the post to avoid formatting issues.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mwolter; February 3, 2018, 05:39 PM. Reason: Revision

Comment

@Matt,

Excellent write up.

Personally suggest to move it to the help section as it will get buried here in this section. Well it has already happened.

How-To's

One comment and relating to aspx.

I have been running HS3Pro and HS3 Lite on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit current V.404 and have no issues running with latest release of Mono.

I understand the stuff relating to aspx but statically configuring Mono to V.5.0.0.1 rather than most current release of 5.4 may cause future issues.

It should be that Homeseer 3 runs on the latest release of Mono versus configuring a legacy version of Mono and not the other way around.

Here have always updated / upgraded any OS that HS3 is running on.

IE: RPi Wheezy,Jessie or Stretch or Ubuntu 14.04 or Ubuntu 16.04. I do my updating once a week.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Good news Matt.

Yes here have been running Zigbee since the beginning testing it on the Almond + and Leviton OmniPro 2 panel and Samsung Hub.

Just looking at upgrading Homeseer 3 to utilizing an GPIO Zigbee card in an RPi2-3 configuring it to function as a remote Zigbee interface similiar to my current remote GPIO ZWave RPi.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Just looking at upgrading Homeseer 3 to utilizing an GPIO Zigbee card in an RPi2-3 configuring it to function as a remote Zigbee interface similiar to my current remote GPIO ZWave RPi.
          I just installed an RPi3 with the dresden-electrik zigbee card. I also installed the JowiHue plugin. It found the card and the one Philips RGB bulb. That is my only zigbee device right now. I'm waiting for other zigbee items to arrive from China to see if things other than bulbs will work. From the postings in the JowiHue section it appears many other things will work and there are some that are questionable.

I may try some Samsung devices such as the arrival sensor.

Comment

Thank you racerfern.

Here looking to make the Zigbee RPi similiar to my ZWave RPI and wondering if I will be able to connect to it via ethernet (ZNet like)?

My two HS3 boxes are in the basement today. My Leviton Zigbee ZIM is currently adjacent to my panel in the basement but want to move it to main floor. The Samsung hub and Almond + are on the main floor.

I would like to put the Zigbee RPi in the attic with a POE connection.

I should be asking my questions under the JowiHue plugin forum. Is there an option for an ethernet zigbee connection in the plugin?
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I do not remember the exact terminology but you search for a hub under Plug-ins > Jowihue > Configuration > Bridge and Lights tab. I have two zigbee addons, a USB for windows pc and the RPi3 addon previously mentioned. The plugin sees both zigbee control units. Sorry that I'm at a pc that makes it difficult to attach screenshots.

As long as you're on the same network, the plug-in immediately sees the zigbee controller as soon as you unlock the controller and search for it.

Comment

Thank you racerfern.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Currently they only have X10 and Zwave on Homeseer but are interested in reusing their Zigbee devices. Unfortunately the level of frustration forced them to buy new Zwave devices as well as the Homeseer system.

Interested to hear about your experience after experimenting with the GPIO Zigbee interface. I have heard Zigbee support can be very limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

@Matt,

Using the Homeseer Zigbee plugin and Osram Lightify Gateway will limit your options and the hub is cloud dependant (like the Samsung hub).

Using the Jowihue plugin and Zigbee GPIO card will be more plug n play with more Zigbee devices.

What Zigbee devices are currently being utilized? Just post these on the Jowihue plugin section and ask if these work with the current Jowihue plugin.

Thinking with document a DIY Zigbee controller using a RPi3 in the help section.
                    Last edited by Pete; January 22, 2018, 06:09 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Ok, redid everything again. Same error.

1.) Any thoughts regarding the error? /usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer_start.sh: line 25: syntax error: unexpected end of file

2.) The "DIR" is correct.

3.) Should "USER" be commented out?

4.) Should the PWD contain the real password of the homeseer user that I created? It is not in this display, so could that be the cause of #1?

Code:
                      #!/bin/bash
                       DIR='/usr/local/HomeSeer'
                       #USER='homeseer'
                       NAME='HomeSeer'            # Server handle for the screen session
                       PWD='pwd'
                       HSPID='/usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer.pid'
                       PID='/usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeerScreen.pid'

if [ $(ps -ef | egrep -c "[m]ono.+HSConsole") -ge 1 ]; then
                          echo -e "$NAME is already running."
                       else
                       #start a fresh screen process if running
                          if [ $(ps -ef | egrep -c "[S]CREEN.+${NAME}") -ge 1 ]; then
                               kill $(ps -ef | egrep "[S]CREEN.+${NAME}")
                          fi
                          #start detached screen process separately so it remains open if HS is shutdown via Web
                          /usr/bin/screen -dm -S $NAME
                          sleep 2
                          /usr/bin/screen -S $NAME -X stuff "export LANG=en_US.UTF-8; echo 0403 c07f > /sys/bus/usbserial/drivers/ftdi_sio/new_id; cd $DIR; mono $DIR/HSConsole.exe --log; sleep 8; exit^M"
                          sleep 2
                          ps -ef | egrep "[m]ono.+HSConsole" | awk '{ print $2 }' >> $HSPID
                          ps -ef | egrep "[S]CREEN.+${NAME}" | awk '{ print $2 }' >> $PID
                          [ -s $HSPID ] && echo "$NAME started."
                       fi

Code:
                      sudo nano /usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer_start.sh
                      sudo chmod +x /usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer_start.sh

pi@raspberrypi:/usr/local/HomeSeer $ ls -l HomeSeer_start.sh
                      -rwxr-xr-x 1 pi root 1016 Feb  1 20:47 HomeSeer_start.sh

sudo systemctl enable HomeSeer.service
                      sudo systemctl daemon-reload
                      sudo systemctl start HomeSeer.service

Job for HomeSeer.service failed. See 'systemctl status HomeSeer.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.

sudo systemctl status HomeSeer.service
                      ● HomeSeer.service - HomeSeer Home Automation
                         Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/HomeSeer.service; enabled)
                         Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2018-02-01 20:36:31 CST; 8s ago
                        Process: 1662 ExecStart=/usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer_start.sh (code=exited, status=2)

Feb 01 20:36:31 raspberrypi HomeSeer_start.sh[1662]: /usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer_start.sh: line 25: syntax error: unexpected end of file
                      Feb 01 20:36:31 raspberrypi systemd[1]: HomeSeer.service: control process exited, code=exited status=2
                      Feb 01 20:36:31 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start HomeSeer Home Automation.
                      Feb 01 20:36:31 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Unit HomeSeer.service entered failed state.
                      Last edited by Krumpy; February 1, 2018, 10:25 PM.
                      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Almost looks like you are starting HS twice.

What is it you want to do?

There are a few startup service scripts posted here.

Here is mine. You have to edit it a bit as I start HomeSeer in the root /HomeSeer directory.

Code:
                        #!/bin/bash
                        ### BEGIN INIT INFO
                        # Required-Start: $syslog
                        # Required-Stop:
                        # Default-Start:  2 3 4 5
                        # Default-Stop:   0 1 6
                        # Short-Description: Homeseer Linux kernel module
                        ### END INIT INFO

NAME='HomeSeer'            # Server handle for the screen session
                        DIR='/HomeSeer'
                        USER='root'                # Start HomeSeer as root. You may use a non privileged user
                                                   # Note: if homeseer is running as non-root user
                                                   # remove 'sudo' command in file 'go' in HomeSeer folder
                                                   # and change setting gWebSvrPort to value > 1024 in settings.ini
                        PWD='pwd'
                        RETVAL=0 

service_start() {
                            if [ -f /var/run/$NAME.pid ]; then
                                if [ "$(ps -p `cat /var/run/$NAME.pid` | wc -l)" -gt 1 ]; then
                                    echo -e "$NAME is already running (pidfile exists)."
                                    return 1
                                else
                                    rm -f /var/run/$NAME.pid
                                fi
                            fi
                            [ -f $DIR/go ] && cd $DIR && su -c "/usr/bin/screen -S $NAME -d -m ./go" $USER
                            cd $PWD
                            sleep 5
                            ps -ef | egrep "[S]CREEN.+${NAME}" | awk '{ print $2 }' > /var/run/$NAME.pid
                            [ -s /var/run/$NAME.pid ] && echo "$NAME started."
                        }

service_stop() {
                            if [ -f /var/run/$NAME.pid ]; then
                                if [ $(ps -ef | egrep -c "[S]CREEN.+$NAME") -ge 1 ]; then
                                    #invoke shutdown command to homeseer...
                                    for char in $(printf "\\r s h u t d o w n \\r") ; do 
                                        su -c "/usr/bin/screen -p 0 -S $NAME -X stuff $char" $USER
                                        sleep 0.1
                                    done
                                    sleep 15
                                fi
                                if [ "$(ps -p `cat /var/run/$NAME.pid` | wc -l)" -gt 1 ]; then
                                    echo -e "$NAME did not stop gacefully. Killing it"
                                    [ -s /var/run/$NAME.pid ] && kill `cat /var/run/$NAME.pid`
                                fi
                                rm -f /var/run/$NAME.pid
                            else
                                echo -e "$NAME is not running."
                            fi
                        }

case "$1" in
                        'start')
                            service_start
                        ;;
                        'stop')
                            service_stop
                        ;;
                        'restart')
                            service_stop
                            sleep 5
                            service_start
                        ;;
                        *)
                            echo "Usage $0 start|stop|restart"
                        esac
                        # --------------------------------------------------------
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hello Krumpy,
                          It looks like you might be running this on a Raspberry PI, are you running Ubuntu 16.04.3 Server 64 bit? I'm not aware of this version OS running on a PI, but I could be mistaken. This script was tested on Ubuntu 16.04.3 Server 64 bit and it could require significant troubleshooting if you are running it on anything else.

Recommend running the script directly by navigating to the HomeSeer directory (cd /usr/local/HomeSeer) and running ./HomeSeer_start.sh . This will run the same script systemd uses and might help diagnose the issue.

This script relies upon the screen command. If it's not installed you will definitely have issues. Run the command to verify you have screen installed.

Code:
                          which screen
                          If it comes back with no path to screen (should look like /usr/bin/screen) then you do not have screen installed and will need to go about installing it. The following command should install it.

Code:
                           sudo apt-get install screen
                          USER should be commented out, it's left over from Pete's script and is not necessary.

PWD can actually be commented out. This is left over from Pete's script as well.

Let me know if screen is installed and which version Linux you have installed and I'll see if I can help but like I mentioned, if you're using a different version Linux it could take quite a bit of work.

Comment

Yes, PI using Debian "Jessie"...

After both of your comments I figured that there wasn't an easy answer. So, did a little more troubleshooting and research and figured out that one can run the script the following which gave me a clue regarding the "fi". I erased both of them and re-entered them and saved/reran and it worked. So, it must have been a copy/paste from the PDF issue.

sh HomeSeer_start.sh

More to come tomorrow. Seems like it might be working. Thanks for the help!
                            HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Linux can be very finicky. Glad you resolved the issue!

Comment

Working...
                              X