Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

I'm looking to migrate from Windows XP to Ubuntu 16.0.4 LTS 3. I didn't see in the writeup how to deal with plug-ins (lots of info about this in old threads, but not sure how up to date they are).

I assume that after installing HomeSeer in Ubuntu, I would need to manually install the same plug-ins that I use in Windows (Z-Wave, BLBackup, PHLocation)?

How does plug-in specific data get transferred from Windows to Linux? Is that manually done by picking specific folders in Windows and sftp-ing them to Linux?

How about the Z-Wave interface? Do i need to transfer any Z-Wave data (or the data is in Z-NET so HomeSeer will just automatically retrieve the data from Z-NET when it comes up)? I have two Z-NET interfaces (a primary and a secondary) in case that matters.

Thanks.

Comment

Was the following package installed when you tried ASPX pages with mono? I followed the installation instructions from the mono web site and could not run ASPX pages even though I followed your process with 5.0.1.1. I then installed the following and ASPX pages worked. I would really encourage folks to test their mono installation before installing HomeSeer which can be done by following the examples on http://www.mono-project.com/docs/get...d/mono-basics/ web site.

apt-get install mono-xsp4
          I do appreciate the document that you put together as it gave me a reference guide even though I did not follow it verbatim. The good thing here is that I learned a lot about Linux and getting around pretty well.

Thank you also for updating the original post and adding the ability to copy/paste the HomeSeer_start.sh and HomeSeer_stop.sh scripts as it will help folks.
          HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

My HomeSeer Based Smart Home

As long as you backup and restore the entire HomeSeer directory as shown in my notes, all plugins and Zwave info will transfer to the new PC. HomeSeer is only a directory. As long as the correct framework version (.net or mono) is used all you should have to do is copy the directory and execute HSConsole.exe properly.

Originally posted by randman View Post
            I'm looking to migrate from Windows XP to Ubuntu 16.0.4 LTS 3. I didn't see in the writeup how to deal with plug-ins (lots of info about this in old threads, but not sure how up to date they are).

I assume that after installing HomeSeer in Ubuntu, I would need to manually install the same plug-ins that I use in Windows (Z-Wave, BLBackup, PHLocation)?

How does plug-in specific data get transferred from Windows to Linux? Is that manually done by picking specific folders in Windows and sftp-ing them to Linux?

How about the Z-Wave interface? Do i need to transfer any Z-Wave data (or the data is in Z-NET so HomeSeer will just automatically retrieve the data from Z-NET when it comes up)? I have two Z-NET interfaces (a primary and a secondary) in case that matters.

Thanks.
            Last edited by mwolter; February 4, 2018, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I just tried installing the latest version of Mono (5.8.0.108) and added the mono-xsp4 package and ASPX pages did not load.

The error I received is below. This is the exact same error received from prior mono versions. So I'm not sure why this would be different for you. Are you using Ubuntu 16.04.3 x64 Server or a different distro?

Code:
              System.Web.Compilation.CompilationException
              error VBNC30248: CHANGEME

Description: Error compiling a resource required to service this request. Review your source file and modify it to fix this error.
              Details: error VBNC30248: CHANGEME
              Error origin: Compiler
              Error source file: ~/Global.asax
              Exception stack trace:
                at System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder.BuildAssembly (System.Web.VirtualPath virtualPath, System.CodeDom.Compiler.CompilerParameters options) [0x00312] in <52b8d38f1da445f7ad770be558c9fed4>:0 
                at System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder.BuildAssembly (System.Web.VirtualPath virtualPath) [0x00008] in <52b8d38f1da445f7ad770be558c9fed4>:0 
                at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GenerateAssembly (System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder abuilder, System.Web.Compilation.BuildProviderGroup group, System.Web.VirtualPath vp, System.Boolean debug) [0x00202] in <52b8d38f1da445f7ad770be558c9fed4>:0 
                at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.BuildInner (System.Web.VirtualPath vp, System.Boolean debug) [0x00106] in <52b8d38f1da445f7ad770be558c9fed4>:0 
              Version Information: 5.8.0.108 (tarball Fri Jan 19 18:15:21 UTC 2018); ASP.NET Version: 4.0.30319.42000
              Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
              Was the following package installed when you tried ASPX pages with mono? I followed the installation instructions from the mono web site and could not run ASPX pages even though I followed your process with 5.0.1.1. I then installed the following and ASPX pages worked. I would really encourage folks to test their mono installation before installing HomeSeer which can be done by following the examples on http://www.mono-project.com/docs/get...d/mono-basics/ web site.

I do appreciate the document that you put together as it gave me a reference guide even though I did not follow it verbatim. The good thing here is that I learned a lot about Linux and getting around pretty well.

Thank you also for updating the original post and adding the ability to copy/paste the HomeSeer_start.sh and HomeSeer_stop.sh scripts as it will help folks.

Comment

The document says to do chown homeseer:root, but it looks like the start script starts HomeSeer as root? If so, what would be the point of doing the chown?

I figure there’s 2 ways to run HomeSeer:

1. Do the chown homeseer:root on the HomeSeer directory and files/directories and then run HomeSeer as the homeseer user without doing sudo.

OR

2. Keep he HomeSeer fields/directories as owned by root and start HomeSeer as root.

Option 1 is ideal, but not sure if there might in the future be some HomeSeer or plug-in functionality that assumes it has root privileges.

Option 2 I know will work, but it’s generally best to not run software as root if possible.

What do folks do?

Comment

I was able to configure the homeseer user to start HomeSeer without having to do sudo. In addition to doing chown homeseer:root on all the HomeSeer files, I had to change the port in Settings.ini to use a higher port greater than 1024 (default is to use 80). If you don’t change the port setting, a web browser wouldn’t be able to connect to HomeSeer if it was started as a non-privileged user (like homeeeer).

I think I prefer to run HomeSeer as a non-privileged user, especially on a machine that is reachable over the Internet.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Do you guys have any thoughts about running the speaker.exe under Linux? I guess my question is about how to spawn or launch the speaker.exe within the HomeSeer_start.sh file, etc.

I probably could engineer something myself, but thought to ask for consistency..

Thanks!!
                        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
                          Do you guys have any thoughts about running the speaker.exe under Linux? I guess my question is about how to spawn or launch the speaker.exe within the HomeSeer_start.sh file, etc.

I probably could engineer something myself, but thought to ask for consistency..

Thanks!!

Comment

I'm running HS3 in Mint18.2.
                            Annoy issue I have is USB Com port assignment inconsistent.
                            example. Zwave stick is on dev/tty/USB0
                            RFXcom dev/tty/USB1
                            when restart the computer , USB port may or may not stay in the same port assign.

Comment

The HS Z2 image has speaker.exe started. So, it is possible and will research how they start it. No biggie.

Yes, in reply to the previous person posting about serial ports changing their assignment in Linux. It appears to be a common issue with Linux. Research and you will find several posts about it. Kinda sad if you ask me. There is a work around that seems to be recommended. I played around with this years ago and will need to research again as I will be in the same boat with an installation that I am working on. Oh yeah, this happens with USB based serial ports. Apparently does not happen with regular serial ports.

Comment

Originally posted by mwolter View Post
                                First up is upgrading your HomeTroller SEL from Libuntu 14.04 with Mono 3.2.8 to Ubuntu Server 64 bit with Mono 5.0.1.1. This was no easy task but with my notes, it should be much easier for you! These steps should work with the standard Linux version and possibly the Pi version as well.

I have been playing around with scripting on HomeSeer and using TenScripting but noticed that Mono 3.2.8 uses an older version of VB .Net. After helping my Mother install her SEL I noticed that HS is now shipping it with Mono v5. So I decided to update the OS and Mono at the same time and did a complete rebuild of the system.

I was able to save my devices, zwave info, most of the events and now my system appears to be faster as well. All functionality has been maintained. Linux Tools, updating HS through the web interface, plugin installation, lighthttpd (for disaster recovery) and also added support for proper HS shutdown from Linux. For Linux, I decided to go with a server version of Ubuntu and use Webmin for administration. If you have a Linux based HS system, I highly recommend Webmin. It's a very easy to use web-based administration for GUI file access and exiting, Linux logs, user administration and a whole lot more. Far better than VNC or any other remote access system IMO. I've used it on other work-related projects in the past and it was perfect for this.

HS process startup was moved to a system service and can be properly started and stopped from within systemd. I used the screen method from one of Pete's scripts, modified and split in two. One for start-up and another for shutdown. Made a simple systemd script and it appears to be working perfectly. Through monitoring of systemd and HS logs everything is started and shutdown properly and the HS web-based startup and shutdown work as well. Events and device operation appear to be faster than before (if that's even possible).

So here you go, my notes in PDF. Please take a look and let me know if you find anything that needs correction.

Change Log:
                                180104: Updated PDF with auto reboot and importing events
                                180107: Found aspx pages were not loading properly. Spent quite a bit of time on this. Tried going to a 32 bit version of linux. Tried installing other Mono related packages. In the end had to revert to Mono 5.0.1.1. Updated the PDF with several new steps regarding this.
                                180203: Removed unnecessary lines and made systemd scripts available directly in the post to avoid formatting issues.
                                Your PDF has been extremely helpful for updating my Ubuntu 14 and Mono 3.2.8 to 16.04.4 and Mono 5.0.1.1. However, I'm running into an issue with the images not appearing in the web interface for HomeSeer.

"Warning File does not exist: /usr/local/HomeSeer/html/images/HomeSeer/ui/settings.png"

On just about every image in the web interface.

Comment

Working...
                                X