X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mwolter
    replied
    My HomeSeer Based Smart Home

As long as you backup and restore the entire HomeSeer directory as shown in my notes, all plugins and Zwave info will transfer to the new PC. HomeSeer is only a directory. As long as the correct framework version (.net or mono) is used all you should have to do is copy the directory and execute HSConsole.exe properly.

Originally posted by randman View Post
    I'm looking to migrate from Windows XP to Ubuntu 16.0.4 LTS 3. I didn't see in the writeup how to deal with plug-ins (lots of info about this in old threads, but not sure how up to date they are).

I assume that after installing HomeSeer in Ubuntu, I would need to manually install the same plug-ins that I use in Windows (Z-Wave, BLBackup, PHLocation)?

How does plug-in specific data get transferred from Windows to Linux? Is that manually done by picking specific folders in Windows and sftp-ing them to Linux?

How about the Z-Wave interface? Do i need to transfer any Z-Wave data (or the data is in Z-NET so HomeSeer will just automatically retrieve the data from Z-NET when it comes up)? I have two Z-NET interfaces (a primary and a secondary) in case that matters.

Thanks.
    Last edited by mwolter; February 4, 2018, 08:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Krumpy
    replied
    Was the following package installed when you tried ASPX pages with mono? I followed the installation instructions from the mono web site and could not run ASPX pages even though I followed your process with 5.0.1.1. I then installed the following and ASPX pages worked. I would really encourage folks to test their mono installation before installing HomeSeer which can be done by following the examples on http://www.mono-project.com/docs/get...d/mono-basics/ web site.

apt-get install mono-xsp4
    I do appreciate the document that you put together as it gave me a reference guide even though I did not follow it verbatim. The good thing here is that I learned a lot about Linux and getting around pretty well.

Thank you also for updating the original post and adding the ability to copy/paste the HomeSeer_start.sh and HomeSeer_stop.sh scripts as it will help folks.

Leave a comment:

• randman
    replied
    I'm looking to migrate from Windows XP to Ubuntu 16.0.4 LTS 3. I didn't see in the writeup how to deal with plug-ins (lots of info about this in old threads, but not sure how up to date they are).

I assume that after installing HomeSeer in Ubuntu, I would need to manually install the same plug-ins that I use in Windows (Z-Wave, BLBackup, PHLocation)?

How does plug-in specific data get transferred from Windows to Linux? Is that manually done by picking specific folders in Windows and sftp-ing them to Linux?

How about the Z-Wave interface? Do i need to transfer any Z-Wave data (or the data is in Z-NET so HomeSeer will just automatically retrieve the data from Z-NET when it comes up)? I have two Z-NET interfaces (a primary and a secondary) in case that matters.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• mwolter
    replied

Leave a comment:

• randman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mwolter
    replied
    Linux can be very finicky. Glad you resolved the issue!

Leave a comment:

• Krumpy
    replied
    Yes, PI using Debian "Jessie"...

After both of your comments I figured that there wasn't an easy answer. So, did a little more troubleshooting and research and figured out that one can run the script the following which gave me a clue regarding the "fi". I erased both of them and re-entered them and saved/reran and it worked. So, it must have been a copy/paste from the PDF issue.

sh HomeSeer_start.sh

More to come tomorrow. Seems like it might be working. Thanks for the help!

Leave a comment:

• mwolter
    replied
    Hello Krumpy,
    It looks like you might be running this on a Raspberry PI, are you running Ubuntu 16.04.3 Server 64 bit? I'm not aware of this version OS running on a PI, but I could be mistaken. This script was tested on Ubuntu 16.04.3 Server 64 bit and it could require significant troubleshooting if you are running it on anything else.

Recommend running the script directly by navigating to the HomeSeer directory (cd /usr/local/HomeSeer) and running ./HomeSeer_start.sh . This will run the same script systemd uses and might help diagnose the issue.

This script relies upon the screen command. If it's not installed you will definitely have issues. Run the command to verify you have screen installed.

Code:
    which screen
    If it comes back with no path to screen (should look like /usr/bin/screen) then you do not have screen installed and will need to go about installing it. The following command should install it.

Code:
     sudo apt-get install screen
    USER should be commented out, it's left over from Pete's script and is not necessary.

PWD can actually be commented out. This is left over from Pete's script as well.

Let me know if screen is installed and which version Linux you have installed and I'll see if I can help but like I mentioned, if you're using a different version Linux it could take quite a bit of work.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Almost looks like you are starting HS twice.

What is it you want to do?

There are a few startup service scripts posted here.

Here is mine. You have to edit it a bit as I start HomeSeer in the root /HomeSeer directory.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Required-Start: $syslog
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start:  2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop:   0 1 6
    # Short-Description: Homeseer Linux kernel module
    ### END INIT INFO

NAME='HomeSeer'            # Server handle for the screen session
    DIR='/HomeSeer'
    USER='root'                # Start HomeSeer as root. You may use a non privileged user
                               # Note: if homeseer is running as non-root user
                               # remove 'sudo' command in file 'go' in HomeSeer folder
                               # and change setting gWebSvrPort to value > 1024 in settings.ini
    PWD='pwd'
    RETVAL=0 

service_start() {
        if [ -f /var/run/$NAME.pid ]; then
            if [ "$(ps -p `cat /var/run/$NAME.pid` | wc -l)" -gt 1 ]; then
                echo -e "$NAME is already running (pidfile exists)."
                return 1
            else
                rm -f /var/run/$NAME.pid
            fi
        fi
        [ -f $DIR/go ] && cd $DIR && su -c "/usr/bin/screen -S $NAME -d -m ./go" $USER
        cd $PWD
        sleep 5
        ps -ef | egrep "[S]CREEN.+${NAME}" | awk '{ print $2 }' > /var/run/$NAME.pid
        [ -s /var/run/$NAME.pid ] && echo "$NAME started."
    }

service_stop() {
        if [ -f /var/run/$NAME.pid ]; then
            if [ $(ps -ef | egrep -c "[S]CREEN.+$NAME") -ge 1 ]; then
                #invoke shutdown command to homeseer...
                for char in $(printf "\\r s h u t d o w n \\r") ; do 
                    su -c "/usr/bin/screen -p 0 -S $NAME -X stuff $char" $USER
                    sleep 0.1
                done
                sleep 15
            fi
            if [ "$(ps -p `cat /var/run/$NAME.pid` | wc -l)" -gt 1 ]; then
                echo -e "$NAME did not stop gacefully. Killing it"
                [ -s /var/run/$NAME.pid ] && kill `cat /var/run/$NAME.pid`
            fi
            rm -f /var/run/$NAME.pid
        else
            echo -e "$NAME is not running."
        fi
    }

case "$1" in
    'start')
        service_start
    ;;
    'stop')
        service_stop
    ;;
    'restart')
        service_stop
        sleep 5
        service_start
    ;;
    *)
        echo "Usage $0 start|stop|restart"
    esac
    # --------------------------------------------------------

Leave a comment:

• Krumpy
    replied
    Ok, redid everything again. Same error.

1.) Any thoughts regarding the error? /usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer_start.sh: line 25: syntax error: unexpected end of file

2.) The "DIR" is correct.

3.) Should "USER" be commented out?

4.) Should the PWD contain the real password of the homeseer user that I created? It is not in this display, so could that be the cause of #1?

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
     DIR='/usr/local/HomeSeer'
     #USER='homeseer'
     NAME='HomeSeer'            # Server handle for the screen session
     PWD='pwd'
     HSPID='/usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer.pid'
     PID='/usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeerScreen.pid'

if [ $(ps -ef | egrep -c "[m]ono.+HSConsole") -ge 1 ]; then
        echo -e "$NAME is already running."
     else
     #start a fresh screen process if running
        if [ $(ps -ef | egrep -c "[S]CREEN.+${NAME}") -ge 1 ]; then
             kill $(ps -ef | egrep "[S]CREEN.+${NAME}")
        fi
        #start detached screen process separately so it remains open if HS is shutdown via Web
        /usr/bin/screen -dm -S $NAME
        sleep 2
        /usr/bin/screen -S $NAME -X stuff "export LANG=en_US.UTF-8; echo 0403 c07f > /sys/bus/usbserial/drivers/ftdi_sio/new_id; cd $DIR; mono $DIR/HSConsole.exe --log; sleep 8; exit^M"
        sleep 2
        ps -ef | egrep "[m]ono.+HSConsole" | awk '{ print $2 }' >> $HSPID
        ps -ef | egrep "[S]CREEN.+${NAME}" | awk '{ print $2 }' >> $PID
        [ -s $HSPID ] && echo "$NAME started."
     fi

Code:
    sudo nano /usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer_start.sh
    sudo chmod +x /usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer_start.sh

pi@raspberrypi:/usr/local/HomeSeer $ ls -l HomeSeer_start.sh
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 pi root 1016 Feb  1 20:47 HomeSeer_start.sh

sudo systemctl enable HomeSeer.service
    sudo systemctl daemon-reload
    sudo systemctl start HomeSeer.service

Job for HomeSeer.service failed. See 'systemctl status HomeSeer.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.

sudo systemctl status HomeSeer.service
    ● HomeSeer.service - HomeSeer Home Automation
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/HomeSeer.service; enabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2018-02-01 20:36:31 CST; 8s ago
      Process: 1662 ExecStart=/usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer_start.sh (code=exited, status=2)

Feb 01 20:36:31 raspberrypi HomeSeer_start.sh[1662]: /usr/local/HomeSeer/HomeSeer_start.sh: line 25: syntax error: unexpected end of file
    Feb 01 20:36:31 raspberrypi systemd[1]: HomeSeer.service: control process exited, code=exited status=2
    Feb 01 20:36:31 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start HomeSeer Home Automation.
    Feb 01 20:36:31 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Unit HomeSeer.service entered failed state.
    Last edited by Krumpy; February 1, 2018, 10:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    @Matt,

Using the Homeseer Zigbee plugin and Osram Lightify Gateway will limit your options and the hub is cloud dependant (like the Samsung hub).

Using the Jowihue plugin and Zigbee GPIO card will be more plug n play with more Zigbee devices.

What Zigbee devices are currently being utilized? Just post these on the Jowihue plugin section and ask if these work with the current Jowihue plugin.

Thinking with document a DIY Zigbee controller using a RPi3 in the help section.
    Last edited by Pete; January 22, 2018, 06:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mwolter
    replied
    Currently they only have X10 and Zwave on Homeseer but are interested in reusing their Zigbee devices. Unfortunately the level of frustration forced them to buy new Zwave devices as well as the Homeseer system.

Interested to hear about your experience after experimenting with the GPIO Zigbee interface. I have heard Zigbee support can be very limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Thank you racerfern.

Leave a comment:

• racerfern
    replied
    I do not remember the exact terminology but you search for a hub under Plug-ins > Jowihue > Configuration > Bridge and Lights tab. I have two zigbee addons, a USB for windows pc and the RPi3 addon previously mentioned. The plugin sees both zigbee control units. Sorry that I'm at a pc that makes it difficult to attach screenshots.

As long as you're on the same network, the plug-in immediately sees the zigbee controller as soon as you unlock the controller and search for it.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Thank you racerfern.

Here looking to make the Zigbee RPi similiar to my ZWave RPI and wondering if I will be able to connect to it via ethernet (ZNet like)?

My two HS3 boxes are in the basement today. My Leviton Zigbee ZIM is currently adjacent to my panel in the basement but want to move it to main floor. The Samsung hub and Almond + are on the main floor.

I would like to put the Zigbee RPi in the attic with a POE connection.

I should be asking my questions under the JowiHue plugin forum. Is there an option for an ethernet zigbee connection in the plugin?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X