No announcement yet.

Would it be possible to get HomeSeer via plugin or scripts to accomplish this:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it be possible to get HomeSeer via plugin or scripts to accomplish this:

I appoligize in advance for formatting, it's not my strong suit.

Presence detection.

If Jeff/Parent1 (172.10.1.100) is on the network, then proceed to "Normal1"
    if Jeff (172.10.1.100) is off the network, then ping
    Mary/Parent2 (172.10.1.101) is on the network, if yes proceed to "Normal2" ( might need something to prevent a loop? Polling time?)

if Mary (172.10.1.101) is off the network, then ping
    Andy (172.10.1.102) is on the network, if yes proceed to "Normal3"
    if Andy (172.10.1.102) is off the network, proceed to"VARIABLE" (Holiday Check, Work day check (day of week etc))

if Guest is on the network, >>>WHAT?<<<< (I have no ideas here- repairman mode/maid mode? What if there was a check to see if any of the "3" are present and if not, is there maintenance scheduled for that time- with the owner setting the time windows for repairmen, assignable in blocks of hours or days where no presence is required to manually start appliances or arm the alarm. After the "window" has expired the house returns to "Normal1" and continues on the initial checks of presence)

Normal1
    Jeff is on the network:
    Full manual control of all for all USERS; default devices set to "off" persistant devices set to "run"

Normal2
    Mary is on the network:
    Jeff loses control of "local devices"; set to "off/run"
    Full manual control of all for Users:Mary, Andy, Guest

Normal3
    Andy is on the network:
    Ping Parents on a polling timer?
    Jeff, Mary lose control of "local devices"; set to auto (I feel this may need to direct to usernames rather than "auto"- but for Full manual control of all for Users:Andy, Guest things like sprinklers you want "auto" but the stereo etc I could see a want to only be controllable "locally" except maybe an "emergency" button to take over remotely).

Holiday1
    check for presence of Jeff, Mary, Andy
    If USER is present; resume Normal(VARIABLE) (maybe a polling time is needed here?)
    Where Jeff is (Value)1
    Mary is (Value)2
    Andy is (Value)3

If USER is NOT present;
    at:00:00 NightMode
    at:06:00 Check PRESENCE: USERS
    if ALL: Normal1
    if Mary AND Andy: Normal2
    if Andy: Normal3
    if ALL: Weekend1/Holiday2
    if Mary AND Andy: Weekend2
    if Andy: No_School_Day:Holiday3
    if ALL:Normal1
    if Mary AND Andy: Normal2
    if Andy: Normal3

Definitions:
    Nightmode: all Light groups OFF (Exceptions:list them)
    temperature: X*
    all Entertainment groups OFF (Exceptions: list them)
    all Alarm groups Armed
    all Persistant items: run
    Stay (maybe this could be a variable so the code can continue the same for each hour selecting Arm Stay vs who's present- another thought, could z-wave presence be used as an "override"-if that's even possible for z-wave or perhaps we need phones with z-wave? Wouldn't that be a political conspiracy theory)

Holiday1: all USERS PRESENCE check failed. Run: Script for random Light timers within the normal day/night cycle.
    Holiday2: staycations so to speak; everyone is off on a Monday to Friday day.
    Holiday3: the parents vacation: perhaps a check vs a "check-in" with the "Parent" users. Defined by name or IP?

Weekend1 is the scenario where dads shift work has rolled him a weekend off to be home, or he's sick etc.

Weekend2 is the where dad's at work on the weekend. There is an exception to this "night shift mode" where a zone can be set to "silent". This could just be a switch or whatever to ask Jeff if he's home on the weekend.

Local Devices: This would be a setting in setup I guess-assign items a variable?

Global Devices
    : These are devices available to any Parent user on or off the local network.

Global Monitoring: Defined Status can be sent to any user, but "Presence" is only detectable when in "Emergency Mode" from a device- what happens when Emergency Mode is activated: All USERS get sent message, and an interlock to block Emergency Mode is required. The lack of response leads to a Voice activated device (Echo etc) to ask: "Is anyone home". Voice prints of the owners will be on "file". It will ask for the user to respond on their phone. If their phone is unavailable they are to speak a code or passphrase to block emergency mode. This prevents users from being spied on. This should be over-ridable via some setting.

Perhaps a Dead/Lost phone mode that sets everything in manual with alarm in local control?

So, I know it's a lot, and perhaps my logic is flawed, but this would be my ideal setup. I am very new to HS3- currently running the trial version of Pro, but so far so good except finding IP control via GlobalCache iTach Flex for my Monoprice 10761 6X6 Amp/Controller.

Cheers!

This is a very complex question, and not posted in the best place to get noticed.

Some of what you are asking is not completely clear. For instance, what do you mean by a person being 'on the network'? Does that mean the router has detected a cell phone that can be linked to a particular person? If not, what?

Nonetheless, my answer to your broad question is a qualified 'Yes'. The qualification being a better understanding of what you are asking.

I suggest you break the question down into more manageable pieces and ask about each of the pieces individually.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      This is a very complex question, and not posted in the best place to get noticed.
      I'm a newbie, could you point me in the right direction?

Some of what you are asking is not completely clear. For instance, what do you mean by a person being 'on the network'? Does that mean the router has detected a cell phone that can be linked to a particular person? If not, what?
      Yes- the person as indicated by a static IP assigned to their cell phone.

I suggest you break the question down into more manageable pieces and ask about each of the pieces individually.
      I have found that when you assemble something via piece-work, you end up with a piece-meal solution. Having a "broad" idea works better for me, and then break it up in pieces, but having the end result always in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by jroffey View Post
        Three places that get a good deal of exposure are the forums 'HS3 / HS3Pro Discussion', 'HS3 Event Clinic', and 'HS3 Scripting'.
        I have found that when you assemble something via piece-work, you end up with a piece-meal solution. Having a "broad" idea works better for me, and then break it up in pieces, but having the end result always in mind.
        Having a broad idea is great, but asking specific questions about how to implement that idea is more likely to elicit helpful responses than forcing others to digest your idea whole. If you leave others confused, you risk receiving responses that miss the mark . . . or no responses at all.

Maintain your concept as a whole thought by all means, but even something as "big" as the internet is built from component parts that can be more easily analyzed, understood, and described. It will be helpful to us if you can break your ideas down to more basic operational components, as you did with your explanation for how you expect to determine if someone is present on the network.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by jroffey View Post

Yes- the person as indicated by a static IP assigned to their cell phone.

You posted in a forum specifically for problems or suggestions about this message board. A more appropriate place would likely be under HS3 software.

There is no plug-in or script that will do all of what you want. You are going to have to build your system in sections and bring all of your logic together with events, virtual devices, scripts, plug-ins, etc. It will be piece meal because you will have to bring the pieces together.

Using IP pings on phones is generally horribly unreliable There are but a handful of phones that will keep WiFi alive when they are locked. It would depend on your phone as to whether it will work. Blade and UltraJones make plug-ins and Jon00 makes a script that will create devices to indicate if a network device is online or not. Some monitor the syslog outputs from their router or APs, but that also is dependent upon the phones remaining connected constantly. PHLocation uses geo fencing and location services and can be quite reliable at helping determine if a house is occupied and by whom. We use PHLocation with iOS location services and the GeoFency app to detect proximity to known locations and iBeacons.

Some use motion sensors to determine occupancy, but I have found that to be very unreliable. Some look at a security system state to determine occupancy. Location is but one piece of your very large puzzle, but it also is the cornerstone of everything you wish to accomplish.

HomeSeer is so powerful that there is virtually no limit to how sophisticated you want your logic to be, but it will have to be the result of your building logic layer by layer until it approaches what you desire. The only thing on your wish list to which there is no current solution is the voice challenge/response, though you could probably leverage Echo or Google for the response and use speaker clients, Russound, Sonos or other solutions for announcements. None of the services or the built-in VR can identify voices, though both Google Amazon are heading there. It will not be a packaged solution, you will have to build it.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            Three places that get a good deal of exposure are the forums 'HS3 / HS3Pro Discussion', 'HS3 Event Clinic', and 'HS3 Scripting'.
            Awesome, thanks! I have a lot of learning to do and reading has been my number 1 priority over the past few weeks beginning with WHA, and moving along from there.

Having a broad idea is great, but asking specific questions about how to implement that idea is more likely to elicit helpful responses than forcing others to digest your idea whole. If you leave others confused, you risk receiving responses that miss the mark . . . or no responses at all.
            Yeah, I wasn't asking someone to "write" anything per-se, but was rather presenting a "best-case-scenario" project and asking if it was possible, of course help along the way will be necessary as I am not versed in VB et al.

Cheers and thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              You posted in a forum specifically for problems or suggestions about this message board.
              Woops, my bad, I must have mis-read it quickly as "general re:HomeSeer"

There is no plug-in or script that will do all of what you want. You are going to have to build your system in sections and bring all of your logic together with events, virtual devices, scripts, plug-ins, etc. It will be piece meal because you will have to bring the pieces together.
              And that is fine. What I meant by piece-meal is a partially functional part here, and a fully functional part there. In the end, I want a single human interface, with whatever in the background that is needed, but with high WAF.

Using IP pings on phones is generally horribly unreliable There are but a handful of phones that will keep WiFi alive when they are locked. It would depend on your phone as to whether it will work. Blade and UltraJones make plug-ins and Jon00 makes a script that will create devices to indicate if a network device is online or not. Some monitor the syslog outputs from their router or APs, but that also is dependent upon the phones remaining connected constantly. PHLocation uses geo fencing and location services and can be quite reliable at helping determine if a house is occupied and by whom. We use PHLocation with iOS location services and the GeoFency app to detect proximity to known locations and iBeacons.
              Awesome, thanks for the starting point of where to head. Much appreciated.

HomeSeer is so powerful that there is virtually no limit to how sophisticated you want your logic to be, but it will have to be the result of your building logic layer by layer until it approaches what you desire. The only thing on your wish list to which there is no current solution is the voice challenge/response, though you could probably leverage Echo or Google for the response and use speaker clients, Russound, Sonos or other solutions for announcements. None of the services or the built-in VR can identify voices, though both Google Amazon are heading there. It will not be a packaged solution, you will have to build it.
              And that part was a late-night adition after 2 hours in the hot tub having a few fingers of Dalwhinnie- yum.

Again, sorry about hitting the wrong forum, newbie mistake. Thank you kindly for the response. All help is very appreciated at this point in my HA journey!

Cheers,

Jeff

Comment

While I know this doesn't necessarily help, but may be food for thought - in Java there is a class ( InetAddress) which can be used to determine if the address of a device is reachable or not - so no ping is required. However, what I find is that mobile devices such as phones do not maintain their network connection when running on battery. When plugged in, their always alive on the network. At least this is the case for Samsung Galaxy S6 or S7.

Robert
                HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

thread moved to "General Discussion" forum
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

It might be helpful to start more or less asking the question from a human - non technology - format. It sounds like you're trying to do presence detection and then create rules based on whether certain people are around? My point being that it might not be the best method to do this based on network address. I mean, humans do not yet have Internet addresses, right?

You'll also want to provide more information in terms of what hardware (sensors) you have available.

For example, most cell phones turn off the network stack when not needed. It would not be a good idea to trigger off of that.

I do think what you're asking for is doable depending on hardware and software combinations, and budget....

Perhaps, it might be better to discuss over a phone call. I can make myself available via Skype or whatever. Send me a private message with your contact info.
                    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Perhaps, it might be better to discuss over a phone call. I can make myself available via Skype or whatever. Send me a private message with your contact info.
                      Awesome, I'm heading into work for the next 5 days then off to Cuba, but I will reach out when I get back at the end of February.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                      X