Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deleting 'Root' devices, what is safe & what isn't?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleting 'Root' devices, what is safe & what isn't?

I need help determining what 'root' devices are safe to delete. I've not been successful with finding a guide on how & what is safe to remove on the 'Device' list. Trying to avoid a hack & slash methodology if at all possible.

For example, referencing the attached screen capture. When I added the 'Rachio' plugin it added several 'root' type devices to my device list. What is safe to remove & what is not? Anyone have a link to a guide or something similar that they can point me to?

Thanks,
    Attached Files

I remember an earlier post that said you would have issues if you delete the roots of these devices.

So check the roots to "hide" then hide devices I don't want to see.

Or you can change the floor to "Unused" for example (this is what I do) then just uncheck the "Unused" floor so they are hidden. Out of sight, out of mind but still available by checking "Unused" or showing hidden items.

Comment

Originally posted by TxStig View Post
      I need help determining what 'root' devices are safe to delete. I've not been successful with finding a guide on how & what is safe to remove on the 'Device' list. Trying to avoid a hack & slash methodology if at all possible.

For example, referencing the attached screen capture. When I added the 'Rachio' plugin it added several 'root' type devices to my device list. What is safe to remove & what is not? Anyone have a link to a guide or something similar that they can point me to?

Thanks,
      Generally it is not safe to delete a root. In many cases, deleting the root will also delete the child devices. The root is also the parent of the group, so deleting one will break the group. It is that way on Z-Wave, but I don't know about Ultra's plug-ins.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

You have little to gain (there is no benefit to deleting it) and much to lose, the root device will take the children with it should it be deleted and there may be data stored inside the device. You are better just hiding it if you don't want it, only delete if you have issues and need a plugin to recreate the devices.

Comment

Thank you all for the pointers & tips.

Comment

Working...
          X