kwikset 910 lock not working with HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kwikset 910 lock not working with HS

I have several kwikset 910 locks that worked great for years with vera. Since moving them to HS I have had nothing but problems.

I have had to restart the locks z wave chip multiple times (lock will randomly stop responding to keypad, but will work via z wave).

I cannot change the locks codes from the HS web interface.

Locks seem to randomly lose their codes. One day code 1 will work. Next day it wont.

Re-including back to vera solves all these problems.

Attached is a screen shot of what the page to change codes looks like. It will sometimes give a text box in which to change the code, but more often than not it looks like this with no box.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Files

1) I make sure I have 2 codes in the lock prior to adding to controller.
    2) You have to add them securely, and the z-net device has to be within a foot or so of the lock while adding.
    3) My 3 older locks I added last year work fine, but the recent one I installed last month is having serious issues. I don't know for sure, as I have to try re-adding that one for like the 3rd time, but maybe something has been broken by recent updates.

Comment

I moved from Vera and added 2 existing 910 locks to Homeseer without any issues. Each one had 4 codes and those stayed during the move. I made sure I added them after most of my Z wave devices were in Homeseer. I think it took them a day to become stable, they would miss commands and not update status initially. After that they have been rock solid. I do miss the Vera lock code setup page but that is the only thing I miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
        2) You have to add them securely, and the z-net device has to be within a foot or so of the lock while adding.

Just curious, but why do they need to be that close? What difference does it make?

I do miss the Vera lock code setup page but that is the only thing I miss.
        Yes, me too. Is there a way in HS to set times for certain codes like in vera? We have employees in and out of our house, and it was nice with vera to limit their codes to 9-5.

How exactly did vera do this? At each set time add or remove the code? I guess I could get HS to do that, I was looking for an easy way if that is what is going on.

Comment

I have installed BLLock plugin and it lets you see the codes on one page once you load them from the plugin. You can also manually disable/enable codes here. It would be great if there was scheduling built in since using Events can get a little convoluted.

Comment

I cant get any of my 910's to include correctly to my HS3Pi. These worked great with my Vera System so I don't know why these are being such a huge pain.
            I will let it stew for a few days see if it clears up.
            The lack of posts with problems with 910 inclusion tells me my problems are isolated, but with 2 different locks having the same issues and the fact that they worked great with my Vera system tells me that there is something wrong with my HS3Pi controller.
            Anyone else having issues including these locks?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamr View Post
              I cant get any of my 910's to include correctly to my HS3Pi. These worked great with my Vera System so I don't know why these are being such a huge pain.
              I will let it stew for a few days see if it clears up.
              The lack of posts with problems with 910 inclusion tells me my problems are isolated, but with 2 different locks having the same issues and the fact that they worked great with my Vera system tells me that there is something wrong with my HS3Pi controller.
              Anyone else having issues including these locks?
              Did you remove them (ie remove the association) from Vera prior to attempting to add them to HS3?
              When you add them to HS3 how are you doing this? Via the plugins > Z-Wave > controller management > Click on Z-Wave interfaces > Actions drop down?
              The locks need to be with a few inches of your Z-Wave interface when adding them.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Sorry to open an old thread but this appears to be the latest discussion on general operation of the locks. I have 4 of these in the house and they misbehave all of the time - which is not something you want with locks. I see plenty of complaints across forums on multiple platforms (hubitat, vera, smartthings, etc) but they all seem to have died down in the last year or so - indicating that drivers have been updated to get this under control.

So yesterday I decided to go after them. I took my trusty spool of ethernet cable and positioned the z-wave directly in front of the two most problematic locks and excluded them, factory reset them, and added them. One added the first time. The second took several attempts at going through this process to add it, but it finally did. I then checked the node information and the routing and manually pointed them at beaming repeating devices (Zooz Zen27 dimmers I have installed) that were close by that had high speed connections to my Z-Net.

Two of the locks are showing no neighbors this morning and no last working routes. One is showing one neighbor (which is about the furthest node it could have picked) and one is showing a whole host of them. It should be noted that I have 70 nodes in my z-wave network so finding nodes should not be an issue.

I have ordered two Aeon 6 repeaters that I intend to place strategically on the two floors in the hopes to improve this situation.

So several questions:

Should I set polling on the locks? Currently it is set to zero.

How do I get individual locks to discover neighbors - as battery powered devices don't they need to be woken up to optimize? I don't see anything in any documentation on how to wake them up?

What exactly happens when I specify a route to a node that is both in the neighbors of the lock and the Z-Net in the node information? It seems like it is ignoring it anyway?

I did read that I need to optimize the beaming nodes that are near these locks. I have been doing that with the "optimize" option, should I be using the "full optimize" option? I have tried both. In general the full optimize always says succeeded and always says "add route failed". I am not sure how this meets the definition of success!

I have read that adding the beaming repeaters and then forcing the locks to route through these is the magic sauce. But obviously I have to solve some of the issues I mention above before I get there? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
                  Sorry to open an old thread but this appears to be the latest discussion on general operation of the locks. I have 4 of these in the house and they misbehave all of the time - which is not something you want with locks. I see plenty of complaints across forums on multiple platforms (hubitat, vera, smartthings, etc) but they all seem to have died down in the last year or so - indicating that drivers have been updated to get this under control.

So yesterday I decided to go after them. I took my trusty spool of ethernet cable and positioned the z-wave directly in front of the two most problematic locks and excluded them, factory reset them, and added them. One added the first time. The second took several attempts at going through this process to add it, but it finally did. I then checked the node information and the routing and manually pointed them at beaming repeating devices (Zooz Zen27 dimmers I have installed) that were close by that had high speed connections to my Z-Net.

Two of the locks are showing no neighbors this morning and no last working routes. One is showing one neighbor (which is about the furthest node it could have picked) and one is showing a whole host of them. It should be noted that I have 70 nodes in my z-wave network so finding nodes should not be an issue.

I have ordered two Aeon 6 repeaters that I intend to place strategically on the two floors in the hopes to improve this situation.

So several questions:

Should I set polling on the locks? Currently it is set to zero.

How do I get individual locks to discover neighbors - as battery powered devices don't they need to be woken up to optimize? I don't see anything in any documentation on how to wake them up?

What exactly happens when I specify a route to a node that is both in the neighbors of the lock and the Z-Net in the node information? It seems like it is ignoring it anyway?

I did read that I need to optimize the beaming nodes that are near these locks. I have been doing that with the "optimize" option, should I be using the "full optimize" option? I have tried both. In general the full optimize always says succeeded and always says "add route failed". I am not sure how this meets the definition of success!

I have read that adding the beaming repeaters and then forcing the locks to route through these is the magic sauce. But obviously I have to solve some of the issues I mention above before I get there? Thanks.
                  I have several of these locks working well. And yes they are picky to get set up. Don't enable polling, it only reads the lock settings & status so it does nothing but eat your batteries. That said, I do run polling once every 24 hours to be sure I have a current battery level. (I have corresponding events tied to the battery level to remind me when they need changing, and I ONLY use Lithium batteries because the lock motor eats batteries.) Run a Zwave audit on each lock so you can see what neighbors it's communicating with, then do a FULL Optimize on the lock. Run the audit again and the lock should show its neighborhood. If it doesn't show enough neighbors, try adding one of the better signal repeaters nearer to the lock. Personally, I like the Aeotech GEN7. It's nothing but a repeater so it has quite a large antenna tucked inside. Do the same audit, optimize, audit procedure on the repeater, and then also the lock. I just got in the habit of adding one of those repeaters in the vicinity of each lock. The Aeotech GEN5 repeater is cheaper and works just as well. I recently went with the GEN7 for future compatibility as the Zwave 700 chips become more prevalent in devices. Your mileage may vary for these instructions. I would start with the most troublesome lock FIRST to see if this works for you. Good luck!

Comment

ok, so I installed two Gen7 repeaters. I went through the following steps:

Ran full optimize on all of the locks.

One repeatedly fails the optimize and claims it can't reach it. It does work when I rescan it. And I just removed and re-added this lock this past weekend with the Z-Net touching it. So I don't know what is going on with that one lock but I will get to that later.

The other three locks all optimized. They show plenty of neighbors and they show the repeaters that I put close to them.

All three locks fail on everything. Can't add user codes, can't read last record, can't lock/unlock:

Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: Insert lock name here Door Lock

So I read on another thread to force the routing to the repeaters. So I went into the node information and did this for each lock using the repeater nearest. In one case the repeater is about 6 ft away from the two locks and the other one is about 20 ft away in-between the two. I have also tried resetting z-wave data and running optimize on a few key nodes - also recommended in another thread.

Same - nothing works.

So I have gone from having four locks working about 3 months ago, to one of them not working and the others working when they feel like it about 2 months ago, to now nothing working at all.

So I am thinking what else is wrong here? I'm scratching my head on this one. Is it possible that this will work itself out over the next few days as the repeaters settle in?

I was thinking I may remove one of the locks and repeaters and locks from Homeseer and add them to Hubitat just to see if it works over there? Might be a way to rule out the lock?

Thanks for any help on this or (hopefully) pointing out the one thing I missed that solves this puzzle.

Comment

I gave up on this and moved one of the repeaters and one of the locks to Hubitat.

I was able to include it very quickly. I also installed an app called "Reliable Locks" that someone in the community uploaded that was built to handle flaky communication back and forth from the locks (https://community.hubitat.com/t/rele...le-locks/11382).

Only a couple of days in but it is working flawlessly. Its probably not fair to compare Homeseer with Hubitat here, as I have about 70 nodes on my Homeseer z-wave and about 5 on my Hubitat. But if this works out I will move the other locks over.

I have also ordered a zigbee card to go in the lock to play around with. Folks on the hubitat board have stated that the zigbee board is more reliable.

Comment

Working...
                      X