So this happened today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this happened today

Our mailbox is on the street. I had an Ecolink Z-Wave tilt sensor on the door, but it would miss about 1 out of 4 times. When I installed our DSC alarm panel, I replaced the Z-Wave tilt sensor with a DSC RF magnetic door/window sensor. It has been 100% reliable and it is supervised, meaning it will let me know when the battery is low or if it has been tampered with. It is on a non-monitored 24 hour zone.

For announcements we use TTS over Sonos and a Pushover message to my phone.

The mailbox, washer dryer and door/window announcements are among the things my wife really appreciates about HomeSeer. When we go to bed, the system will give us a voice prompt if any door or window is open or door is unlocked. If a door is unlocked, it will lock first and only announce if it remains unlocked.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Our mailbox is down the road about half a mile in a big community cluster mailbox. Any ideas how to monitor ours? There's no power available at the boxes.

At the old house, I had a microsensor on the mailbox on the street that integrated with the alarm panel hooked into Homeseer. I had a announcements set up to announce when the mail arrived. I used four different announcements on a random basis for the mail. One day the mailman, who we've had tons of problems with over the years, came to the door to deliver a package that needed a signature. He first put the regular mail in the box, and as luck would have it, the announcement was delayed. It went off just as I opened the door... and he heard my announcement: " the lazy postman has actually done his job today" Priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post
        Our mailbox is down the road about half a mile in a big community cluster mailbox. Any ideas how to monitor ours? There's no power available at the boxes.

At the old house, I had a microsensor on the mailbox on the street that integrated with the alarm panel hooked into Homeseer. I had a announcements set up to announce when the mail arrived. I used four different announcements on a random basis for the mail. One day the mailman, who we've had tons of problems with over the years, came to the door to deliver a package that needed a signature. He first put the regular mail in the box, and as luck would have it, the announcement was delayed. It went off just as I opened the door... and he heard my announcement: " the lazy postman has actually done his job today" Priceless.
        A half mile is going to require some type of a long range sensor and these aren't inexpensive.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post
          Sounds like the perfect application for homing (carrier) pigeons. Put one in the mailbox when you pick up the mail. It flies home when the next mail delivery releases it.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            A half mile is going to require some type of a long range sensor and these aren't inexpensive.
            LoRa transmitters can do 2KM on virtually nothing, https://www.adafruit.com/product/3073

Couple that with a solar panel and a bit more circuitry and 1/2 mile should be possible relatively cheaply.

Comment

I have seen this one before. Could be put on door of mailbox so when opened it detects motion. Transmitter is waterproof and says it has a 1/2 mi range. Receiver looks to have a relay output to trigger off of for z-wave. Like an ecolink d/w sensor. It has an aux input inside.

https://www.amazon.com/Dakota-Alert-..._&dpSrc=detail

Comment

Working...
              X